School Uniforms

Schools which enforce the wearing of school uniforms are generally more highly regarded and perceived to have less issues with poor behaviour. Of course there are plenty of other factors which will have an effect.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/lanarkshire/lanarkshire-school-set-enforce-dress-27303627.amp

"Many pupils have taken to wearing expensive sports clothing instead."

"Some parents have questioned the timing of the decision, as it could mean them forking out for new uniforms during the cost of living crisis."

Would that be the same parents who bought their kids the expensive sports clothing? 🤔

I think that wearing a school uniform is a valuable component of self-discipline. If a child has to get up every morning and put on a uniform, it is instilling in that child that there are certain things that you have to comply with in life in order to advance, and this tends to reflect on behaviour. To the best of my knowledge, almost all schools in Australia demand strict uniform compliance. I can't recall ever seeing school kids out of uniform on designated school days. Every single school that my kids went to had a second-hand uniform shop within the school where items could be purchased for next to nothing. And in cases of genuine hardship, I believe most schools would waive these costs anyway.

2 hours ago, OzPar said:

I think that wearing a school uniform is a valuable component of self-discipline. If a child has to get up every morning and put on a uniform, it is instilling in that child that there are certain things that you have to comply with in life in order to advance, and this tends to reflect on behaviour. To the best of my knowledge, almost all schools in Australia demand strict uniform compliance. I can't recall ever seeing school kids out of uniform on designated school days. Every single school that my kids went to had a second-hand uniform shop within the school where items could be purchased for next to nothing. And in cases of genuine hardship, I believe most schools would waive these costs anyway.

That was also the case in the school I taught in, Oz, although strict enforcement lapsed under its penultimate Head. The new Head who came in last year has been far more strict and my daughter told me a number of parents were bumping their gums on Facebook because they had spent a small fortune on designer clothing and trainers  and were now expected to shell out for school uniforms and shoes. Life's a b**ch, eh? 😀

If all pupils adhere to school uniform, staff can immediately spot anyone trespassing in the school or its grounds. It also cuts down on verbal bullying when some pupils dress in cheaper brands and are mocked by others with more expensive attire. I remember my son coming home as an 8 year old in 1989 and telling me that one of his classmates was wearing a pair of Reebok Pumps which cost £99. That was a fair bit of money back then - maybe a week's salary for me. I explained to him that it didn't make much sense to spend so much on shoes at his age as his feet were continually growing and would be too small in 3-6 months. I think he bought into that, but even if he hadn't, he wouldn't have been getting them anyway.  

23 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I get there is some argument for a uniform, but the idea of blazers and ties in 2022 is mental.    All the supposed benefit of uniforms isn’t affected by a more sensible approach.

It's not necessarily "blazers and ties" though, pfl. Many schools are happy to accept a school jersey or sweatshirt, trousers/skirt and plain, black shoes. Pupils may also wear more practical coats or jackets which they remove in class, rather than a blazer. I think the dress code you allude to is more prevalent in fee paying schools.

Edited by GG Riva

19 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

It's not necessarily "blazers and ties" though, pfl. Many schools are happy to accept a school jersey or sweatshirt, trousers/skirt and plain, black shoes. Pupils may also wear more practical coats or jackets which they remove in class, rather than a blazer. I think the dress code you allude to is more prevalent in fee paying schools.

It’s in the article you posted.

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It’s in the article you posted.

That doesn't negate my post above. I can only surmise that Cathkin HS have been experiencing issues with behaviour/discipline and have decided to turn the clock back to a bygone era. The school may well meet stiff  resistance to this move as a result and might have been better advised to go for the more casual uniform I described above.

School uniform is far cheaper than designer clothes, can easily be sourced even to exchange banks.

A white blouse or shirt and black skirt/trousers can easily be picked from ASDA to Next, but very few will notice the price point difference on the clothes.

The problem with designer clothes is they are expensive, or fake or you can't afford them or run up huge debt to keep your kids up to date.

We are going through it with our daughters at the moment and we are not budging, despite the emotional blackmail.

The bullying and stigma to those who aren't wearing the latest designer clothes can be brutal if they choose not to wear them or wear fakes.

School uniforms hardly cause any issues.