Swear filter

Why is there one on this site?

Is it to make it ‘family friendly’? I don’t see any kids posting (except perhaps the saline hill puma, but he’s a vile young man), and even if they did, a few sweary words on an internet forum will hardly do them any harm. Most of us hear swearing every single day anyway. What’s the big deal? It’s a hugely outdated concept that ‘curse words’ are somehow bad or corrupting. I feel that such words often add to language, as they can be used to punctuate a point and express strong feelings when other words won’t suffice. I always laugh at the argument of old prudes who cry that those who use swear words must be limited in their vocabulary when not using such words is literally doing exactly that.

I think the swear filter should be removed if possible. This isn’t .net. It would be another way to distinguish this site from that shambling cauldron of buffoonery, fantasy and ****faced fiction that is populated by hooring welts seemingly unaware of many realities who mewl like quivering quims and gush pathetic plastic platitudes whilst opposing official opprobrium and believing all is well at all times (although right now much is indeed well with the club).

Yes Wing, much of that sentence was for you.

I think other admin members will add to this as they see fit as this is more my opinion more than anything else.  

There is a swear filter on this site to strike a balance between the lawless anarchy that prevailed on Pars Alive and the touchy, sensitive types on another site.  Yes, the odd swear word is fine imo but when every 3rd word in a post is an expletive then it reflects badly on the poster and the site because posts like that detract people from the using the site and traffic isn't that great as it is.

I also think there may be some legal implications of not having a swear filter imposed by our host because this site is set as being suitable for use by younger people (not 100% certain though, another admin member be able to confirm).

I also moved the topic to the Suggestions Forum because that's what it is.

Archived