More changes

Deutsch Par

We have decided to change the style of the warning system from the Facebook style "like" to the positive/negative style used by Pie and Bovril as we feel that this will help us in monitoring the forum because a post that is particularly negatively rated is something that flags up that may need our attention.

Now, for the unpleasant part as the forum gets busier people's sensitivities change and we may find ourselves receiving more reports or a post has so negatively rated that we may need to look at it.  If an admin member has seen the need to issue warning points then posting restrictions start once 2 warning points have been applied.  I am not going to say how many warning points are needed for an indefinite ban from the site as some jokers may try and test us.  Any one who has received a minimum of 2 warning points also has to acknowledge their warning before they are allowed to post again.

Apologies for the heavy handedness of the post but the admin it felt it was necessary with the site getting busier and it is important to keep all users in the loop.

We tried to make the forum rules fairly simple to follow, so there was minimal room for misinterpretation.

The IPB software used for the forum also has a lot of functionality that should help us to moderate the forum as effectively as possible, should the need arise.

Hopefully it won't, and the majority of posters will contribute in a respectful way as has been the case so far.

That said, we're all for meaty debates and contrasting opinions, otherwise the forum becomes very bland.

As always, keep telling us of any improvements that can be made, either to the way the site is being moderated, or how the format/layout of the forum can be improved.

Never being on Pie and Bovril so not sure how it works. For an uneducated person like myself am i correct in thinking if I hit the red button twice on two different posts by the same person that they will get some kind of warning. What's wrong  if someone is abusive then said abuser gets a warning? What if someone doesn't like you and they just hit negative button? What if you hold a grudge? I think the site is doing fine the way it is. Don't mind going along with this as long as it's fair. Apologies for not quite getting it. 

Just to add to the voting button questions... Are they meant as agree/disagree, like/dislike or is it more like the Reddit model where it's (meant to be) the upvoted are "this adds to the conversation" and down is "this doesn't add to it"?

I suspect it's more like the like/dislike, but just wondered.

Also, I know that people are notified when someone likes something they posted - does the same apply to downvotes?

Never being on Pie and Bovril so not sure how it works. For an uneducated person like myself am i correct in thinking if I hit the red button twice on two different posts by the same person that they will get some kind of warning. What's wrong  if someone is abusive then said abuser gets a warning? What if someone doesn't like you and they just hit negative button? What if you hold a grudge? I think the site is doing fine the way it is. Don't mind going along with this as long as it's fair. Apologies for not quite getting it. 

Just to add to the voting button questions... Are they meant as agree/disagree, like/dislike or is it more like the Reddit model where it's (meant to be) the upvoted are "this adds to the conversation" and down is "this doesn't add to it"?

I suspect it's more like the like/dislike, but just wondered.

Also, I know that people are notified when someone likes something they posted - does the same apply to downvotes?

Everyone can see who is rating posts either way and it is very much a like/dislike scenario.  We will still be using our discretion on posts that may be considered unacceptable, it's just that a post that receives a lot of negative votes will flag it up for us quicker that something may need to be looked at.  If someone is negatively voting just for the sake of it because they don't like another forum user this goes against the spirit of the forum and they are likely to receive a warning.  There is no notification for negative votes. 

On your profile, just to the left of your post, you will see a green cross and number.  This is your "Community Reputation".  Basically, your reputation is enhanced by you posting regularly, and fellow posters "liking" your posts.  As your reputation grows, then your reputation level will change too (the label underneath your username).  You can see a history of how you have reached your score here too.

Now that the forum is much busier, you can also "dislike" a post.  There is also the option to report posts which you find offensive.  If a poster has a negative community reputation score, we as admin will then review their account, as it would suggest that they are not contributing either in the spirit of the forum, or abiding by the rules.

If it is decided that this is the case, the poster in question may face a temporary posting ban.

As always, we try to remain transparent about this, so posters can enter into discussion with us, either on here or privately by PM or using the "Contact Us" link, with any concerns.

What we don't want is to have to start moderating the life out of the forum, so these features are there to help us keep an eye on what is going on across the forum.

I think it is fair to say that the admins are as keen to get involved in the debate and banter on here as much as anyone, so we don't anticipate there being much need to use these features, but they exist to reassure all users that we are trying to cover all bases fairly, when it comes to moderating the site.

Probably an unnecessarily long-winded post from me, but I think that we, as admins, are keen to get the message across that we only want to encourage the current good atmosphere that is on here.

Archived