About yourself

Deutsch Par

In an idea unashamedly swiped from the heritage trust article in Saturday's programme it might be a bit of a laugh to apply the questions asked there to The.Pars Club members particularly now that there is a lot more traffic on the site and I'll publish the answers I gave here as well:

QUESTION 1: Why are you a Pars supporter?

QUESTION 2: Which other team's results do you regularly look for, and why?

QUESTION 3: What has been your best memory or experience as a Pars supporter?

QUESTION 4: What has been your worst memory or experience as a Pars supporter?

QUESTION 5: Who is the best player you have seen in a Pars shirt?

QUESTION 6: Apart from EEP, which is your favourite stadium to visit, and why?

QUESTION 7: What is the furthest away place you have seen the Pars play?

QUESTION 8: What does the Pars' "heritage" mean to you, and why is it important?

QUESTION 9: If you could go back in time, what game (not necessarily involving DAFC) would you like to attend, and why?

QUESTION 10: If you could have a meal or a drink with three people from the world of football, past or present, who would they be?

My answers

My Dad took me to East End Park when I was young and I didn't seem to be that interested initially for the first couple of years but the initial season we were in the Premier Division something seemed to grab my attention and I was hooked

FC Basel in Switzerland, my Dad stays out there and I've attended a couple of matches at St. Jakob Park, as well as having a chance meeting with Yoichoiro Kakitani on his bicycle beside the Basel team bus last year and who was only too happy to pose for photographs.

My best memory would be half-time at the 2004 Scottish Cup Final in amongst 17000 fellow Pars fans with the belief you were about to see The Pars lift a major trophy. 

Round about this time three years ago, when it looked like the club was on the verge of extinction and various people were getting silenced for daring to tell the truth, threats of legal action etc. 

Without a doubt, Istvan Kozma, when he was in the mood he was untouchable. 

For me, Tynecastle Stadium, even though it's been redeveloped you still feel you're on top of the players and that makes for a great atmosphere. 

Elgin for the Cup tie a couple of seasons ago

QUESTION 8: What does the Pars' "heritage" mean to you, and why is it important?

The Pars; "heritage" means a great deal to me and I feel it's important to educate younger generations about the club and it's history.  The good times and the bad and it's shaped our club.  It was good to see younger people who hadn't seen Norrie McCathie buy into what he meant to the club in the recent events commemorating his memory and this what what I believe the Heritage Trust is all about. 

QUESTION 9: If you could go back in time, what game (not necessarily involving DAFC) would you like to attend, and why?

The Pars' 6-2 win over Valencia, especially as we were 4-0 down from the first game and it would good to get a sense of the emotions before, during and after the match.

QUESTION 10: If you could have a meal or a drink with three people from the world of football, past or present, who would they be?

Eddie Connachan for his display during the 1961 Cup final replay (based on the YouTube footage it seemed like he single handedly stopped the Celtic juggernaut himself)
Istvan Kozma obviously although I'd probably sit there in wide mouthed awe (scoring a hat-trick on my birthday helps get you idol status in my eyes)
Greg Shields so I could ask him what he meant by the "it'll all come out in the wash" comment.

My Dad basically. He used to go home and away and even went down to West Brom. I started in the old 2nd Division, and never really flirted with any other team at all. 

None in particular, sometimes Tamworth as that is where my parents now live, but I'm not really fussed for any other team.

Jointly the 2-0 Scottish Cup win over Rangers and the Airdrie league winning game in 95, followed by my best night out up the town ever. A big statement considering that's where I met the Mrs...

Norrie dying. No need to say anything else.

Basing it on Technical ability, I have to say Kozma, but if by 'Best' we mean 'Favourite' then I have to say John Watson, my hero growing up.

Tynecastle is a great shout, but for me it's Starks, as it's usually packed and the atmosphere is usually brilliant.

Aberdeen. Still gutted I never made more of an effort to go to the Uefa Cup games.

I think it's important for future generations to learn about the history of a club, any club, as that is what underpins what the club is all about. In my experience, my son is as enthusiastic about it as I am and thinks of Norrie as a hero as much as me and he wasn't even born when he was around, never mind saw him play. To me, that says it all about how important and gripping heritage can be.

Either, the West Brom away European game, as my Dad still talks about how they stood there, a band of about 100 supporters with pies, bottles etc raining down on them with the 'mighty' West Brom going to turn us over and the 'Country Bumpkins' of Fife went down and turned them over on their own patch. 

Or, the 1970 European Cup Final Real Madrid vs Eintracht Frankfurt at Hampden that finished 7-3. Again, my Dad was there and still goes on about it being the best game he's ever seen. That Madrid team would make the Galactico's of nowadays look ordinary, relatively speaking.

Maradona, because he's my favourite ever player, and he's mental. I think he'd be a great night out. David Beckham, as he just seems like such a nice down to earth bloke, and George Best, as his stories would arguably be the most entertaining.

After my dad was in the army we settled in Dunfermline.  I went to a game with mates.  Although we got beat, 3-2, it was a cracking game and we all went to the next home game which finished 4-3.  Plenty of goals so we kept going back each game, and I became a Pars fan.

Everton are my English team, so the Everton results.  My first football match was at Aldershot so I like to follow their results.  I have mates that are Jambos and United fans, always worth watching their results, and I live and work in Edinburgh so know plenty of Hibees too.  Always good to know that they are up to for the craic.

Half time at Hampden when were winning against Celtic in the Cup Final.  What an atmosphere!!

The worst would be 2007(?) Cup Final and losing to such a soft goal in the last few minutes when we had been the better team.  Then having to walk through the gloating manky gets who were celebrating as if they had humped us 25-0.

I was too late becoming a Pars fan to see Kozma, although he was a bit of hit or miss by all accounts?  Brewster was probably the most intelligent player, and his partnership with Crawford brought the best out of Stevie, I think.

Probably Murrayfield.  On a rugby international matchday the atmosphere is incredible.  And you can drink beer.

Stranraer. 

What has been built now, is a community club.  And that brings the old and young together.

1966 World Cup.  I'd be the linesman, and Id flag for play to continue.  Whilst it might not change the overall result, the chain of events means that the Germans would still have been in with a shot.

Actually, first one, Ive been out drinking with, and that's Andy Goram, Some of the stories he tells of the times with Gazza and McCoist, are superb!  Wouldn't take Gazza though, youd be looking after him all night.

George Best.  A bit of a lad, and you'd be in the company of some stunning stunning stunning women.  His stories would be highly amusing too.

Pele.  Just cos its Pele. 

1. After having worked Saturdays for almost two years in a row, I found myself at a loose end in the summer of 78. Big bruv Les said go to East End Park with him. I did. Best Hartlepool in a friendly, 4-3. Mike Leonard hat-trick. I was hooked.

2. I take a vague interest in Leyton Orient, but that is it.

3. Quite a number to pick from but probably winning promotion on the last day of season 78/79. Falkirk had to beat us. It ended up 1-1. Six thousand at the game, in a season where 1,500 was a good crowd.

4.Norrie's death. Aye, I have seen some frustratingly awful displays over the season, but nobody died. Norrie did.

5. For skill, Kozma. For enthusiasm and effort, Ross Jack.

6. Tynecastle. We played there in the premier league in the early 80s. Well, according to the Hearts programme we did.

7. Inverness. Thought Stranraer was further, but it just feels like it.

8. The history of the club is as important as it's future.

9. Kilbowie, 13/12/1980, so I could film Sandy McNaughton's goal so that more than a handful of Pars' fans can gaze in wonder at a magnificent strike.

10. John Salton, Mike Leonard and Sandy McNaughton. Have met them all before and enjoyed having a blether with them. Jim Leishman met his match in Mike Leonard.

Mixture of my Dad and a primary school friend.

Man Utd, Hibs, Dundee Utd - friends support them.

Being in Nottingham when Hardie scored THAT goal against the wee team. Was the end of an alcohol free lent so I got hammered.

When we almost died. However, something inside me knew we'd do alright in the end.

Petrie back in the Paton era.

I'm generally a home supporter (on the rare occasion I'm free on Saturdays and not chasing the wee ones around)

Depressingly, Falkirk!

We've been a wee team, a big team, a successful team and not so successful team. Those highs and lows are what keep things interesting!

61 cup final.

Bert Paton, Jock Stein and Norrie.

QUESTION 1: I was taken to my first Pars game by my Uncle who was a Pars Support and my dad a Rangers  fan to see the Pars v Celtic. My old man thought Jinky Johnstone was the greatest player. All I can remember was the people on the floodlights and stand roofs - an amazing day supported the Pars ever since.

QUESTION 2: Probably our closest rivals, no real inclination to support other teams

QUESTION 3: The Cup Final albeit we lost to Celtic but there are so many others including the Norrie Clydebank game with "The Goal"

QUESTION 4: Norrie's death and allowing Falkirk to beat us in the semi at Hampden enabling them to reach a final and qualify for Europe.

QUESTION 5: Kozma, Crawford, Norrie, Brewster, Barry, Watson.................

QUESTION 6: No real favourite stadium

QUESTION 7: Somerset Park in Ayr

QUESTION 8: It our history - and it makes our hearts go wooooha

QUESTION 9: 61 & 68 cup final

QUESTION 10: Leishman, Norrie and Bob Crampsey

My Dad (not a Pars fan BTW) started taking me during the beginning of Leishman's reign in the 80's.  Hooked ever since.

Any team in direct competition with the Pars, so this season, Peterhead and Ayr.

Tannadice away when we all but wrapped up the league, closely followed by the BMMMH game v Raith.

Norrie dying, and the home defeat in the play-offs to Cowden.  Never felt so low after a game of football.

Has to be Kozma, followed by Craig Brewster.

Tannadice - really enjoy the atmosphere we create there

Holland

I'm proud of what our Club stands for, and the history that we have.  My youngest is a big Pars fan now too, which makes it even more important.

Probably the Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt game at Hampden - many people think this was the best game ever.

Neil Doncaster, to see if he actually knows ANYTHING about football, Michel Platini, to find out why he went from being one of the best players in the history of the game, to being just another a-hole in a blazer.  And Sir Alex Ferguson, for no other reason that it would be a fascinating conversation.

Guest The Beer Baron

Up until the age of I think 7, I was a dirty, horrible little Rangers glory hunter. Although I was brought up in Rosyth, I had no idea Dunfermline had a football team, I hadn't been along Halbeath Road. One day I think my dad mentioned Dunfermline Athletic and from that exact moment, I let my disgusting, unforgivable ways up and my heart knew I'd love my home team until the end of my days.

My first game was a friendly against Bolton Wanderers, who had Jason McAteer playing, and he was a huge name at that time. Alan Stubbs might have been coming through at that point too, I vaguely remember his name around that time.

ar$enal, I grew up joining a friend at school in watching out for their results and idolized Ian Wright, and then eventually Thierry Henry. Nowadays, it's more in looking out for something to through some anger towards as they stumble to yet another 4th place.

There have been so many, I'm not sure I can pick a definite favorite as I think it changes all the time. I think beating Inverness 3-2 here in Aberdeen to reach the Scottish Cup final, AND knowing I'd see us in Europe for the first time in my life, I think that is hard to beat. It was to be my first final.

Again, many horrible moments that have been mentioned already. Norrie's death, although I was still really young at the time, I remember being very upset about. There have been too many disgusting, terrible results and performances to remember too, but that goes with the territory of being a Pars supporter.

The whole near extinction a few years ago was awful. I think that Dumbarton game where we lost 4-3? I felt that was it, we'd never see our team again and myself and my best friend stood and hugged each other down near the front of the stand long after full time, in tears, thinking it was all over.

My favourite is Andy Smith, but the best in my opinion was Stevie Crawford. What a fantastic player, such pace, agility and skill not to mention the goals he scored. I think that if he can continue to develop though, Fez has a chance to be on that level. There's a chance, but he'll have to work incredibly hard.

Starks Park. We are always vocal, take great numbers and I don't think I've seen us have a negative result there.

Sweden.

To be able to share and preserve our history means the world.

I'd want to see Arbroath's 36-0 win over Bon Accord simply to see what the hell was going on!

I'd love to have a high-number course meal with Alex Ferguson, Bert Paton and Jock Stein. I'd love to hear their stories of the Pars teams of the 60s.

My first game, my old man took me round when the "gates opened" at about twenty past four to catch end of a game against Partick Thistle - Thistle won 4-0. It was either Stanton or Forsyth era. However, in all honesty Pars always have been my second club. Another club is "in my blood".

Rangers. Pure and simple Rangers are the team thats in my blood. I also always look out for Blackpool's results and I have a wee soft spot for Mansfield Town having been down south to watch them a few times.

Driving (well, Dad driving me) back from Stenhousemuir after the 0-0 draw that clinched the second division title. It was like a convoy of black and white all the way back to the town.

The performance on the pitch in Sweden. The build up was so exciting and Sweden a great country to visit. However, the performance was an absolute disgrace.

On skill alone, it would have to be Istvan Kozma.

Ibrox. For reasons outlined above. However, have sat in there a few times in the away end and can get why folk dont like it !

Sweden

Club with a great history and a real beating heart in a great town.

I'd love to go back and relive the moment Faulconbridge's goal stopped Celtic winning the leage at EEP. However, for a full game experience I think it would have to be the 1961 Cup Final v Celtic, or the 1972 Cup Winners Cup Final for Rangers in Barcelona.

Craig White, Charles Green and Mike Ashley. Just so I could slip some poison into dinner !

Kidding. I think it would be Davie Cooper (my favourite footballer of all time), Sir Bobby Robson (my favourite manager of all time) and Kevin Keegan (favourite player manager !)

My dad told me I could support any team I wanted but if I chose Dunfermline I'd never have to pay to go until I was out of school and that he'd cover any game I wanted to go to. He was true to his word.

Man Utd - as a teenager in the 90s when they were dominating they were the best team to watch. 

My first game was the 5-1 vs St Mirren. And a cold wet evening cup tie vs Alloa when i got Andy Rhodes gloves.

Tannadice 96 takes some beating tho

Losing to Aberdeen in the playoffs. Norrie's death

George O'Boyle was a magician with the ball, Kozma was my favourite tho...

Tannadice, the best memories. Also like Dens with the memories of the 4-2 and 4-4 games. 

Cove Rangers

Its a community club that should allow for supporters today to take their kids and grandkids to watch a their team play in their town wearing the black n white.

Champions League final 1999

Johan Cruyff, Norrie McCathie, Marco Van Basten

Archived