Life and Death Row

Vinnie

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p05xhlnw/life-and-death-row-the-mass-execution-episode-1

Last year the drug used for the lethal injection was withdrawn (considered slow and painful rather than quick and painless) and Arkansas' supply was to expiry at the end of April.  They planned 8 executions in 10 days.

Should the Death Penalty exist? 

Mixed feelings on this subject.

I can't help thinking that some human beings would be better off dead given the heinous and inhuman crimes committed.

But what if you kill an innocent person, it can happen.

And is carrying out the killing of another human being putting us in the same category as the killer themselves? Taking a life.

^^^^

That pretty much sums it up for me.

I don't think it is an effective deterrent either, so vengeance becomes the only motive.

There are plenty of cruel murders I read about in the papers where I think the perpetrators deserve death, but on reflection I don't favour capital punishment. From what I have read, it was debated thoroughly in the lead up to it being abolished and I don't think there has ever been a huge desire for it to return.

I understand all of the arguments that say, "what if theyre innocent?" and totally agree with that.  But I cant say I would want to rule it out either. 

For example - Up until last week, folk in Florida were big Trump supporters and to a degree, supporters of the right to own guns.  Then we have a mass shooting at a school and folk change their tune, suddenly Trump is an asshole and they have all these demonstrations demanding stricter gun laws.  Whilst stricter gun laws and the death penalty are not on the same level, until you find yourself experiencing some kind of trauma/hurt/tragedy/pain, I guess you don't know your true feelings about it. 

Its been interesting viewing so far. 

The bit at the end when the woman confronted the police officers that were high fiving each other after the execution was interesting

All four episodes are on iPlayer if you don't want to wait for the BBC to show them. 

Ive got to admit, having watched all four programmes, I did question my own thoughts on executions. 

Its been interesting viewing so far. 

The bit at the end when the woman confronted the police officers that were high fiving each other after the execution was interesting

All four episodes are on iPlayer if you don't want to wait for the BBC to show them. 

Ive got to admit, having watched all four programmes, I did question my own thoughts on executions. 

cheers will maybe next one later tonight seeing as the Pars game is off

From what i have watched so far, i doubt my views will change. IMO the death penalty doesn't act as a deterrent and is pretty pointless

• 2 weeks later...

There was one fella who you could make a huge argument for executing.  However, his quality of life was poor through illness, and he would have preferred to be executed.  Ultimately he was.  Would you kept him alive to suffer?

Its not about keeping him alive to suffer, I just dont see how the state killing someone for killing another makes any sense. But then it is America, they still think a gun is needed for protection

Archived