McInnes

Teuchter

For many he was the front runner for the Scotland job, but I was happy enough that he didn’t take it. Why? Well as he proved again last night, his record in big games, particularly, though not exclusively, against the Old Firm, is not great at all.

You could argue that he is always in the position of underdog against the big two, and that would be fair enough. In the  Scotland job however, to qualify for anything, a requirement is to get results in big games against superior opponents. I would say that this is one trait lacking in McInnes.

Guest The Beer Baron

Big match bottle jobs. I predicted Sevco 2nd this season and I still think they will sneak it last day at Hibs.

I think youre both being harsh.  Rangers had more to play for - the players are still playing for their futures under Gerrard.

As for McInnes and the Scotland job, he's still a youngish guy (for a manager), and he probably has aspirations at club level before he considers semi-retirement.  Aberdeen are arguably the best of the rest in Scotland.  On budget alone, Rangers are the second team in Scotland, and I would suggest if Rangers do secure second place, its no real surprise.  Are Aberdeen bottlers?  Not really, if we all accept that Rangers are Scotlands second big team, a draw is actually a positive result 

McInnes is one of the folk in Scotland who revere Sevco and Celtic and are almost always beaten before the game even starts. This season Aberdeen were playing well and winning, but then went to Snake Mountain and totally changed their formation. They had been quite attack minded previously, but for that game went with 5 at the back, despite having never played that before. They shat it big time and lost 3-0, to a **** Sevco team who were struggling. He played not just the 'name', but the 'name' of the dead club, not realising that Sevco were a team who are nothing, and who had just been beaten by Dundee.

I'm afraid that Aberdeen are bottlers when it comes to Sevco and Celtic, and it's all down to the manager and his mentality about those two teams. This sort of ****ebag thinking, that those teams are somehow special and we must fear them and be in awe of them, is infuriating and really annoys me. Our manager is the same incidentally.

Guest The Beer Baron

Is AJ? I don't know about that. We went there played our 442 and were getting gubbed, so tightened things no?

A lot of managers change their squad and formation dependent on the opposition, and/or the players at their disposal if there are injuries or suspensions.  Nothing new in that, nothing wrong in that.  Of course, you would hope that these things are worked on in training enough that when you transfer it to matchday, its no hardship.  As far as McInnes and Aberdeen are concerned, I don't care enough to analyse everything that happens up there. 

Aberdeen were playing pretty much the same formation and players before that Sevco game. They suddenly changed to a mega defensive formation, dropping in form attacking players, for a visit to Snake Mountain. The same Sevco team had just been beaten by Dundee, had been put out of the League Cup by Motherwell and had drawn with Partick.

Sevco easily beat Aberdeen 3-0. Then a few days later beat them at Pittodrie 1-2.

@Vinnie I don't think I am being harsh. I am not only judging him for the last Rangers game.

He has done a decent enough job at Aberdeen and has them where you would expect given their resources. Not an achievement to be underestimated given the long list of managers who have failed to do this.

The main point I made was his record in big games - the recent semi against Motherwell perhaps being a better example than the predictable home point against Rangers. For the Scotland job, any qualification will hinge on getting something out of big games where we are underdogs. At the moment this does not appear to be something in McInnes's repertoire.

Archived