Hugo Lloris

GG Riva

The World Cup winning captain now has a criminal record and rightly so. Drink driving is at best irresponsible and completely indefensible. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45482366

I've no quibble with a 20 month driving ban, but a £50,000 fine? You or I would not have received anything like that for an identical offence - apart from driving a Porsche, obviously, which isn't an offence in any case. 

The judge took the view that Lloris could easily afford to pay the fine, but being devil's advocate for a minute, isn't the law supposed to be equal for everyone? And no, I'm not feeling sorry for Lloris. I'm sure he could easily have afforded a taxi home.

Did a bit of envy or jealousy colour M'Lud's judgement, perhaps?

Ant McPartlin was fined over £85k, although Id suggest his offence was worse he damaged a few cars on his travels.

Thing is, McPartlin and Lloris are public figures, and public figures are forever in the media - if the courts are lenient on these guys, it sends out the wrong message to Joe Public. 

I'm all for heavy fines like these if celebs can afford it, and particularly in Lloris' case, its a short career, surely he can abstain from alcohol for a few more years? - After all, he wont ever have to worry about money again, hes set for life after football, he can p!s$ it all up the wall when hes retired for all I care.

I get what everyone's saying, but it doesn't make legal sense, imo. Everybody is either equal in the eyes of the law or they're not. The court's job is not to levy a tax, but to ensure that justice is done. Now if Lloris was asked to pay £50k into a fund for the families of victims of drink drivers, e.g. Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme, that would make more sense.

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

I get what everyone's saying, but it doesn't make legal sense, imo. Everybody is either equal in the eyes of the law or they're not. The court's job is not to levy a tax, but to ensure that justice is done. Now if Lloris was asked to pay £50k into a fund for the families of victims of drink drivers, e.g. Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme, that would make more sense.

Where does the fine go to? We know the legal system is different in England compared to here

Archived