East Fife in the Diddy Cup

ExxyJj

Bohemians withdrawal from the tournament should be the end of the involvement of non-Scottish and colt teams.

I suspect that this is driven by sponsors however.

Personally, I'd rather see teams like Spartans, Kelty, East Kilbride, Wick Academy, etc involved

Can a Junior team be included? 

Not that Kelty et al shouldnt be considered.  I guess that with the likes of Borehamwood, the Welsh and the Irish being involved, there are no boundaries to who can be included?

Lets invite Las Vegas Lights, or Tampa Bay  Rowdies and New York Cosmos.  They would be away trips to get excited about!! 

11 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Not that Kelty et al shouldnt be considered.  I guess that with the likes of Borehamwood, the Welsh and the Irish being involved, there are no boundaries to who can be included?

Lets invite Las Vegas Lights, or Tampa Bay  Rowdies and New York Cosmos.  They would be away trips to get excited about!! 

Not sure, but there's no benefit to the game in Scotland if a team from outwith our country ends up winning the tournament.  Would much rather see one of the ambitious Scottish non-league sides get a go.

1 minute ago, Paradox said:

Not sure, but there's no benefit to the game in Scotland if a team from outwith our country ends up winning the tournament.  Would much rather see one of the ambitious Scottish non-league sides get a go.

I agree.  But at the moment there is very little about the structure of Scottish football that benefits Scottish football.

In terms of domestic competitiveness, Scottish football is probably as good as it has been for a long time.  The top flight has several teams now putting the pressure on Celtic.  The Championship continues to be an incredibly tight division.  There are more and more teams trying to get through the pyramid system.

Where we are failing badly is in European competition, qualifying for major international tournaments, and being able to sell Scottish football as a commercially attractive product.

3 minutes ago, Paradox said:

In terms of domestic competitiveness, Scottish football is probably as good as it has been for a long time.  

Where we are failing badly is in European competition, qualifying for major international tournaments, and being able to sell Scottish football as a commercially attractive product.

Competitively Scottish football is in a great state.  Qualitywise, Scottish football is in a ****e state!!!  Which is part of the reason its not a commercially attractive product.

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Competitively Scottish football is in a great state.  Qualitywise, Scottish football is in a ****e state!!!  Which is part of the reason its not a commercially attractive product.

Is it though?  With the exception of a few clubs like Man City, Liverpool and maybe Spurs and Wolves, is the EPL producing attractive, high-quality football for example?  If you took the top 6 teams out of the equation, the EPL is a bang-average league, filled with over-priced players IMO.  Is it just the glamour of the superstar footballers that make it commercially attractive.

It's maybe a bit of a 'chicken-and-egg' situation in Scotland?  There's no money for clubs (outwith Glasgow) to attract big-name players.  And because there are no big-names, the TV companies are only interested in the Bigot Brothers.

Watching Dundee vs St Johnstone is like watching  Salford City vs Harrogate Town in terms of quality.  Ive seen better U-15s games on a Sunday morning.

Youre right, there is no money for anyone but the old Old Firm, there are no star attractions at Aberdeen or Hearts or Hibs, one of our arguably biggest clubs is stuck in the Championship.

Scottish clubs cant compete English clubs for money... Aberdeens Rooney who went to Salford is a prime example of Scottish clubs failing to hold onto average talent.

Of course, the whole distrubution of wealth has been done to death and until clubs stand up to the Bigots, and the SPFL, and the SFA, to demand a fair distrubution of revenues, clubs face the same issues and fans are short changed by the product on the pitch.

Scottish football is nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be and English football is nowhere near as good as it's made out to be.  I have watched many a yawn fest in the EPL and in Scotland but on the other hand I have watched many good games in England and Scotland.

The main difference is in the way that the leagues are marketed.  The EPL and Sky will build up a game such as Huddersfield v Brighton as an unmissable spectacle whereas in Scotland even those in the top positions in Scottish football will run the game down here and Sky treats Scottish football as an afterthought.  "Here's Celtic or Rangers against someone who we haven't even bothered to check if their badge is right or do any research on.  Don't watch it if you don't want to"

I was extremely disappointed when the rights to Scottish football went to Sky rather than BT Sport because BT Sport do actually market the Scottish game well and I know that Chris Sutton gets a lot of stick because of the comments he made previous but he is one of the biggest advocates of the Scottish game.  I remember one occasion on Match of the Day he was on it defending Scottish football and he is the person I have ever seen doing that.

On 05/02/2019 at 21:41, Vinnie said:

Kelty aren't a Junior club. They play in the Lowland League and teams from that league and the Highland League already play in the tournament.

21 hours ago, The Bad Guy said:

The main difference is in the way that the leagues are marketed.  The EPL and Sky will build up a game such as Huddersfield v Brighton as an unmissable spectacle whereas in Scotland even those in the top positions in Scottish football will run the game down here and Sky treats Scottish football as an afterthought.  "Here's Celtic or Rangers against someone who we haven't even bothered to check if their badge is right or do any research on.  Don't watch it if you don't want to"

There are very good commercial reasons for this though.... 

Sky Sports have a number of key competitions and events across various sports.  Sky spend a ton of cash on them, and in order to recoup that cash, they need subscribers and advertisers.  The EPL is one such competition.  The EPL contract dictates that all teams must be featured, and dependent on fixture scheduling (CL and other commitments), they will need to broadcast games like Huddersfield and Cardiff, or Brighton vs Fulham from time to time.  Sky have to hype the hell out of these games to gain the interest of viewers and advertisers.  Within the UK, the majority of subscribers are based south of the border, their resources will be spent to reach the greater market. Thats basic common sense business.  

In Scotland, only two teams have a mass appeal, up here and abroad.  You will probably notice that Sky and BT tend to cover games where the old-OF are the away team?  Because our smaller grounds hold lesser numbers of away fans, and therefore the old-OF fans will likely want to watch the game on TV - add 50-plus thousand who attend home games to the "God-knows-how-many-who-have-never-been-to-Glasgow-in-their-life" fans.  Its common sense business.  

Sky over hype most events, the golf Majors and Ryder Cup, the tennis Grand Slams, all the F1, the Ashes.  Key events that they need to attract top dollar advertising for.  They have to be seen to be doing their bit to draw viewers in. 

Archived