Liam Neeson

Vinnie

Liam Neeson has admitted that he carried a weapon and hoped to be confronted by a "black" so that he could kill them, in the aftermath of a friend being raped by a black man. 

Neeson does admit he is ashamed of that period of this life, but, what are folks thoughts on this?  Is it just a human reaction?  Should he work again?  Is this simply a calculated way to promote his latest movie? - After all, there is no such thing as bad publicity. 

Brave move by Neeson to admit this. Revengeful thoughts about wanting a black guy to start on him. Had his friend been raped by a Jewish guy or a Muslim, would he have done the same, targeting perpetrators of that skin colour? He's apologised and has had help about it. I think that should be the end of it. He's moved on and so should we regarding statement. He didn't need to speak out, but chose to highlight his thoughts. Still unfortunately, racism is around us. John Barnes (footballer) reckons we are all subconscious racists. I'm assuming that includes himself. Let him work. 

27 minutes ago, scottyboy said:

racism is around us. John Barnes (footballer) reckons we are all subconscious racists. I'm assuming that includes himself.

I think John Barnes has highlighted that the reporting of Neesons statement has been taken out of context (surprise surprise), and that the whole interview provides a bigger picture.  

John Barnes has spoken alot about racism, and I think that racism does work both ways to a degree.  Is there always a them and us?  For example, is it racist of Sol Campbell to complain about the lack of job opportunities because of skin colour?  He's essentially labelling all football club owners the same way, rather than seeking individual reasons for his lack of chances. 

I think the story Neeson highlights is that you can only speak from an experience that directly affected him.  For example, many folk oppose the death penalty, or gun ownership.  Perhaps if a family member (or somebody close to you) is murdered, does your opinion change.  If you are robbed at gunpoint in your home, would you consider owning a gun for your own protection.  

Guest The Beer Baron

It's in human nature to lash out when you or someone you love, is hurt. It's restraint that is commendable.

I think he's brave in today's society to say this and I think he should be applauded for doing so, given he said he seeked help.

Of course, many people now simply label him racist and that he shouldn't work again. Why? For being honest? For seeking and gaining personal development then sharing his experience? It's those ****s who need to be held up in a negative light.

8 hours ago, Piracy said:

Neeson should have just shut up. He's just punched himself in the gizzard. Career won goal and a stupid thing to say.

I kinda agree with this.

Some will commend him for opening up about this.

For me, all he's done is bring a lot of negative focus on himself, which will follow him for the rest of his career.

It is amazing that this constitutes news. An actor says something and social media (over)reacts.

Why should he shut up? If this does negatively affect his career then it says more about the those condemning him out of hand than it does about him. Fk having the norms of free speech governed by Owen Jones and the like. 

At least there does seem to be a debate rather than one way condemnation however.

I imagine Neeson himself wishes that he’d had shut up.

He was on a TV show promoting his new film.  I believe that the theme of the movie is revenge.  I havent seen the full interview, it was an American talk show, and he was probably asked if he could identify with the movies story.  Perhaps he was overly honest?  Neeson has at least started folk talking about the issue - and I think that its a subject that folk shy away from for being labelled. 

I know when I started the thread, I was conscious that some folk may be offend by the term "black man" and thought about changing it to "African American", but then second guessed myself about whether I should be using "African American", because it looks like Im shying away from or trying to hide from the subject, even though I raised it.  

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I know when I started the thread, I was conscious that some folk may be offend by the term "black man" and thought about changing it to "African American", but then second guessed myself about whether I should be using "African American", because it looks like Im shying away from or trying to hide from the subject, even though I raised it.  

Inexplicably, to me at least, it is the use of the term “coloured” that seems te considered offensive. I haven’t read the latest woke handbook so I could be wrong on this now.

Neeson has just talked about an imperfect and emotion fuelled human response he once had to a loved one being hurt. I see no issue in that.

As was said above, it is the people accusing him of randomly targeting people because of skin colour (he wasn’t - he was actually hoping to be targeted himself so he could get revenge), or invoking “white privilege” that need to look at themselves.

19 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

Inexplicably, to me at least, it is the use of the term “coloured” that seems te considered offensive.

Is that because its racist to fail to distinguish between Far Eastern and Middle Eastern and African and Caribbean and Latino?  Each have there own identities that "coloured" doesnt quite sit right? 

Guest The Beer Baron

I know this is a bit of a tangent now but I think the term colored is lazy rather than racist.

Why do people get so worked up about where they're from anyway? In my team we make jokes all the time, knowing it's all fun. I'm apparently the incomprehensible Irish guy, whilst my Pakistani colleague is always called Indian.

1 minute ago, The Beer Baron said:

Why do people get so worked up about where they're from anyway? In my team we make jokes all the time, knowing it's all fun, my Pakistani colleague is always called Indian.

Haha, we have the same thing.  I have a Venezuelan colleague who is Mexican or Argentine.  We have a Canadian who is simply American.  All in jest, all taken in the spirit its intended.  

4 minutes ago, The Beer Baron said:

I'm apparently the incomprehensible Irish guy

Sometimes that applies here too!! 

Archived