Perspective? Or Naivety?

Vinnie

So todays result wasnt the three points we wanted.  However, before calling for Craws head, heres a couple of the things that have crossed my mind recently.  It may be naive to some... however...

1 - Its a young squad.  A few weeks back we were all excited about the potential.

2 - Its a new squad.  Its not like the Class of 92 who were all young, but had all come through the ranks together, we brought in the best available young talent from a number of different clubs.  As a new squad they will need time to gel, until they do, results will be inconsistent.

3 - Youngsters do tend to be a bit inconsistent, especially when they are still getting to know one another.  Inconsistency leads to a wee break down in confidence, and a wee break down in results.  Youngsters are also unlikely to react positively to negativity in the stands? 

4 - Most of the signings we made were two year deals if I recall correctly?  So its a two year plan.  One year to gain experience, a second year for a play off push and title challenge.

5 - Chopping and changing manager every season doesnt necessarily help the cause.  Each manager has their own style, each manager has their own plan, each manager will want their own squad.  We cant afford to chop and change, we cant afford the compensation, we cant pay fees to get in transfer targets.  

6 - We didnt lose today, we fought back for a draw and we should take more positive than negative from that.

Im a big believer that many of our fans are delusional about the size of the club. Less than 3500 today. That must be well well well below the budgeted target.  Less than 3500 today shows arent a big club. Yes bigger than Alloa, but not the massive club some seem to imagine.

Im also a big believer that most clubs at this level will take points off one another throughout the season. Im not shocked by the result today.  Itll happen to all teams all sesson.  Hopefully the team gels and we drop fewer and fewer points as we get stronger and stronger.  Hopefully.

Many are delusional, expecting to win every home game and lose the plot when we don't. Had we not got the equaliser today, then I would have expected a lot of toxic abuse towards players and manager. I wouldn't give SC pelters as he was offered a job he probably didn't see coming so soon. If I'd been offered it, I would have taken it and made a kent of it. I really think the board should have went for someone making a name for themselves and promoting SC as his assistant to give him a bit more experience. (names on request)I actually enjoyed some bits of the game today. Losing disnae really bother me, as long as the effort and a bit entertainment is flung in. I reckoned after admin it would probably take 10 years to get back in the top flight. I would like to think we won't get relegated this season. Hope SC can find enough to get us mid table and get some of the good times back. 

I would say inconsistent. The performance against Dundee at home was good. Then there were the performances against the top flight teams in the cup. There have been good performances which at least give cause for hope. 

Although it is not saying much, yesterday's performance, although ultimately not good enough, was nowhere near as bad as the Arbroath one.

A win next week could see us chapping on the door of a play off spot (if Arbroath weren't playing Dundee we could have moved into 4th). A defeat could see us bottom. The margins are tight since it is only seven games in, but towards the end of last season only a couple of weeks could see a team swap a promotion challenge for a relegation spot - as we almost did. The saving grace is that in the bottom six of this league, no teams are consistent. 

Archived