Life After Lockdown

Im guessing that everybody is as bored of looking at the same four walls as I am, and that folk might be desperate to get out for a pint or two, a haircut, or even back to work? 

Or are you? 

There have been suggestions in the media that the public are scared to return to "normality" for fear of catching and/or spreading the virus.  Are folk really scared, or is the media stirring up another storm?    Ultimately, the safety of you and your families is paramount, and that of your friends and their families, but what do you have planned for the days that follow the lifting of lockdown restrictions?

Have you had a foreign holiday booked for the summer?  Will you still go?  Why?  Or why not?  Would you sit in the pub?  Would you worry about who has drunk from the pint glass you are now drinking from?  Would you worry about the hygiene of your favourite restaurant?  Are you wary of going out to dinner? 

Guest The Beer Baron

Only thing that has been seriously stressing me out is our wedding in June. We have a back up date for September but if this supposed second wave hits, it could scupper our plans even further. 

Apart from that, I'm good. I enjoy home office and get enough exercise anyway with pre-work morning runs and daily body-weight stuff. 

Guest The Beer Baron
11 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

So if the wedding is to go ahead, would you happily travel for the honeymoon?  Good luck, by the way, hope it can go ahead as planned? 

I would yeah, but we've planned not to go straight away on our honeymoon in June. We want to go to Southern Italy but obviously this might have to also be postponed even from September. On the other hand, they might be desperate for travellers and we can have a great experience. 

Thanks for your wishes! We'll just have to wait and see still sadly.

20 hours ago, The Beer Baron said:

I would yeah, but we've planned not to go straight away on our honeymoon in June. We want to go to Southern Italy but obviously this might have to also be postponed even from September. On the other hand, they might be desperate for travellers and we can have a great experience. 

Thanks for your wishes! We'll just have to wait and see still sadly.

I'll keep you posted on that one, BB. Southern Italy was my home until the age of 7. Where about were you intending to go? Be warned that the locals were less than impressed with those who work in the North but are originally from  Southern Italy got quite a hostile reception when they piled onto buses and trains and fled south to escape the pandemic, just before the lockdown in March.

This week, an easing of restrictions has seen another wave of Italians heading south to be reunited with friends and relatives. They've been getting tested when they arrive and a surprising number have been found positive, so they've gone strainght into a two week isolation, or quarantine as they're calling it over there. 

22 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Im guessing that everybody is as bored of looking at the same four walls as I am, and that folk might be desperate to get out for a pint or two, a haircut, or even back to work? 

Or are you? 

There have been suggestions in the media that the public are scared to return to "normality" for fear of catching and/or spreading the virus.  Are folk really scared, or is the media stirring up another storm?    Ultimately, the safety of you and your families is paramount, and that of your friends and their families, but what do you have planned for the days that follow the lifting of lockdown restrictions?

Have you had a foreign holiday booked for the summer?  Will you still go?  Why?  Or why not?  Would you sit in the pub?  Would you worry about who has drunk from the pint glass you are now drinking from?  Would you worry about the hygiene of your favourite restaurant?  Are you wary of going out to dinner? 

I'm not scared for myself, Vinnie, but wary of catching it and passing it on to my family. Of course the media like to stir things up a bit, but it is a very serious situation which only hits home if you lose someone close to you. Lockdown restrictions will only be lifted gradually, in several stages, so we can't plan until we see how things pan out. I do have flights to Southern Italy booked for July, but I'm not at all optimistic that they will go ahead, although my airline hasn't cancelled them yet. (They have already cancelled flights from the UK to Milan for July.) I think international travel will be one of the last things to be unlocked for two reasons; people are scared to go on aircraft where social distancing is difficult and the air is continually recycled along with any viruses and the citizens of holiday countries like Spain and Italy will be afraid that holidaymakers may spark another wave of infections.

I have a holiday booked.  Its long haul, and while it doesnt worry me, I hadnt considered the air recycling thing.  Still doesnt scare me, as Im not due to travel til September, which I hope is plenty of time for infection rates to have tailed off completely. 

Guest The Beer Baron
57 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

I'll keep you posted on that one, BB. Southern Italy was my home until the age of 7. Where about were you intending to go? Be warned that the locals were less than impressed with those who work in the North but are originally from  Southern Italy got quite a hostile reception when they piled onto buses and trains and fled south to escape the pandemic, just before the lockdown in March.

This week, an easing of restrictions has seen another wave of Italians heading south to be reunited with friends and relatives. They've been getting tested when they arrive and a surprising number have been found positive, so they've gone strainght into a two week isolation, or quarantine as they're calling it over there. 

Thank you GG Riva. We chose it as we loved Northern Italy when we were there a couple of years ago and feel the need to explore more of the country. We loved the food, the people and the scenery. 

We chose Naples as an easy go-to destination and then to drive around the south coast without anywhere else specific in mind right now. 

3 hours ago, The Beer Baron said:

Thank you GG Riva. We chose it as we loved Northern Italy when we were there a couple of years ago and feel the need to explore more of the country. We loved the food, the people and the scenery. 

We chose Naples as an easy go-to destination and then to drive around the south coast without anywhere else specific in mind right now. 

I usually fly to Naples myself. There's an outside chance you might still be able to go this summer, but I wouldn't put any money on it. Once you know when you're going I'll give you a list of "must see" places. You'll probably have to make a selection. 

Archived