Progress

GG Riva

11 hours ago, parsforlife said:

It really really isn't,  He had a squad largely capable of championship football and has, with a few unremarkable additions got them playing at that standard.   Just cos grant and hughes were utter pathetic failures and made these players look much worse than their abilities doesn't suddenly make mcpake a messiah.   He's doing fine, and given how cut-throat management is fine is a reasonable standard, but lets not get overexcited over it,  there's still a lot of improvements we must make.

I'm certainly not over excited and definitely didn't suggest McPake is the Messiah, but neither is he the very naughty boy Hughes was. I'm very privileged to work with different players on a weekly basis in the Pars Tackle Health schools initiative and every last one speaks very highly of McPake and Dave Mackay. That was not the case with Hughes. No doubt there's plenty of room for improvement. I was merely pointing out that, in spite of some poor results and performances this season, McPake has taken us in an upward direction since he was appointed, 

10 hours ago, the saline hill puma said:

Ohhh sorry for upsetting you with not being totally positive with several bang average seasons.

Getting out of league one and sitting mid table in the championship is certainly anything but remarkable

I'm anything but upset, mate. Life's too short to get upset because another Pars fan has a different opinion from me. I didn't say getting out of League 1 was remarkable. I suggested that to be sitting 4th in the Championship after the dreadful run of injuries to key players is remarkable. Feel free to disagree, but please quote me correctly. Also, if you think winning League 1 in a canter is "bang average" after the horror show under Grant and Hughes, we'll agree to disagree on that, too.

• Upvote 1

Grant is correct. You need a reference point to accurately answer the question but I’m assuming you mean from when McPake has come in? 

the average age of the team has come down and we have some good players on long contracts, the goalkeeper aside. 
the team has something about them and don’t give up easily. 
In summary, the manager has done a good job. We are 4th but that can be marked up due to the long term injuries to key players. 
the big problem area is scoring goals. I watched Jakubiak twice jog into the box and unsurprisingly was not in position to get on the end of balls by Chalmers and MOH. We don’t have anyone willing to bust a gut to get a goal, other than Todd. 
McCann tries hard, but lacks composure and his decision making is not the best. 
Wighton is the most talented finisher, but again, he often doesn’t make the right runs and rarely tries to get across defenders

this is an area where the manager has failed so far. 

off the pitch, there are numbers I’ve been quoted from a number of sources which suggest we are shelling out considerable amounts on director salaries. Have these people made us better ? Are they providing value for money? 

Edited by Raymie

2 hours ago, Grant said:

Defining progress depends on where you put the start point I suppose. 

True, Grant, but is it not logical and fair to start at the point where the current manager was appointed? I could have gone back to the Jimmy Calderwood era, when we were bringing in players from the likes of Hibs, Aberdeen and Rangers, paying them with the bank's money which we would never be able to repay. That would be totally flawed and illogical.

I would have to conclude that we've gone backwards. 😔

29 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

True, Grant, but is it not logical and fair to start at the point where the current manager was appointed? I could have gone back to the Jimmy Calderwood era, when we were bringing in players from the likes of Hibs, Aberdeen and Rangers, paying them with the bank's money which we would never be able to repay. That would be totally flawed and illogical.

I would have to conclude that we've gone backwards. 😔

I could fully see your point with regards to choosing that as a start point GG, wouldn't dispute it at all. Some fans seem to define it from when the new owners came in, and I can also see that point. 

On another point, someone said earlier that we're no longer shelling out allot of money, however (and it is rumours) we've apparently lost a seven figure sum, that'd be as large a loss as we've experienced since the Masterton era, that's not sustainable and the extra 100k or so from prize money will barely touch the sides. 

43 minutes ago, Raymie said:

off the pitch, there are numbers I’ve been quoted from a number of sources which suggest we are shelling out considerable amounts on director salaries. Have these people made us better ? Are they providing value for money? 

Aye, again they are just rumours, but there's some right big salaries apparently kicking around. 

30 minutes ago, Grant said:

On another point, someone said earlier that we're no longer shelling out allot of money, however (and it is rumours) we've apparently lost a seven figure sum, that'd be as large a loss as we've experienced since the Masterton era, that's not sustainable and the extra 100k or so from prize money will barely touch the sides. 

Aye, again they are just rumours, but there's some right big salaries apparently kicking around. 

I don't know the salaries being paid to the CEO or the Commercial Manager, but my starting point would be that Ross McArthur did both jobs for nothing.....

If these gents bring in enough extra money, then their salaries are irrelevant, but if they earn more than they bring in, it increases our financial burden and might not be sustainable, which would be a concern. Of course if we were to be promoted to the Premiership, with prudent financial management, our concerns would vanish....