Mike Ashley / Sports Direct

Teuchter

I noticed this story today. The scheme supposedly to improve workers well being looks suspiciously like a big brother type ruse to weed out, who they might view as, malcontents. Treating staff as adults and with respect seems to be beyond them. 

As for the institutional shareholders, it is worth noting that it is not the fact that the staff are maltreated that is the issue for them, but the fact that it is causing bad publicity. A problem that I imagine will be solved by PR rather than changes to business practices.

"Which would you press?

We reported earlier on how Sports Direct chairman Keith Hellawell is facing a vote of no confidence from some big shareholders next week. One of their concerns has been the retailer's bad press over treatment of staff.

Well, The Guardian reports that Sports Direct has come up with a novel way to try improve things at the Shirebrook warehouse, in Derbyshire. 

When the 3,000-plus workers clock in, they are asked to press a touchpad featuring a happy or sad face emoji to indicate if they are satisfied with working conditions. 

The system uses fingerprint recognition tech, and those who press 'sad' can be called to see a manager to discuss their situation.

The Unite union isn't happy, calling it a bogus system that glosses over major discontent. Sports Direct says it's just one of many ways to address staff concerns."

The phrase, "I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him", could easily have been coined with Ashley in mind. The people who work for him at Sports Direct will have been carefully selected. Having an almost perpetual Tory Government, means that they can carry on pretty much as they like. 

Archived