Improving Refereeing

Vinnie

I notice in the Sean Murdoch thread that after retiring at the end of the season, Sean Murdoch is refereeing through in Glasgow.  I reckon that can only be a good thing for amateur football in Glasgow, to have a ex player refereeing.  Ex players will have a greater understanding of the game, which in turn, can only improve the way they referee games. 

Perhaps the SFA need to start an initiative to pick up on the young lads who are released by clubs at the age of 21.  Many will have little idea of what kind of career to pursue next, many may have neglected school work with a view to making a success of themselves in football.  

The SFA is crying out for referees, ex players should know most of the laws, perhaps a fast track scheme should be investigated? 

Most players dont have a clue when it comes to laws of the game. You see that with so many of the players that go onto become a pundit after retiring. Maybe as part of being in a Youth Squad time should be spent teaching youngsters the laws of the game, which could/would be a start to what you propose if they dont make it as a footballer.

Guest The Beer Baron

Mental that any footballer could play at a decent level without knowing at least a rough idea of the laws of the game.

1 hour ago, the saline hill puma said:

Most players dont have a clue when it comes to laws of the game. You see that with so many of the players that go onto become a pundit after retiring. 

7 minutes ago, The Beer Baron said:

Mental that any footballer could play at a decent level without knowing at least a rough idea of the laws of the game.

I would have thought that knowing the laws of the game is major requirement of playing at the highest levels.  Of course, it seems to me that the faceless law-makers may not have actually played to any decent level, and therefore dont understand what impact their law changing makes? 

1 hour ago, the saline hill puma said:

Maybe as part of being in a Youth Squad time should be spent teaching youngsters the laws of the game, which could/would be a start to what you propose if they dont make it as a footballer.

There you go, theres two ideas that combined make a great deal of sense to potentially improving refereeing standards. 

Archived