Scotland games

Teuchter

Perhaps a reflection of the growing apathy that there had been no thread. Certainly the silence from the fans last night seemed to indicate apathy rather than anger.

No real surprise last night against Belgium who looked like they cruised through the game. 

Russia game was the disappointing one, but not a shock.

I think the loss at the start of the campaign, combined with the knowledge that there is a 2nd chance via the Nations League has taken a bit of the edge off the games for the players.

I expect another defeat in Russia. Avoiding defeat against Cyprus would be an achievement.

Maybe it is a good thing that expectations will be rock bottom for the Nations League. I will carry on watching the games, but rather than being a distraction, they are now a supplementary source of misery to supporting the Pars.

I keep on saying that we have an overinflated opinion of our national team and our abilities.  I keep getting shot down for being overly negative.

The thing for me is that we always seem to be set up negatively.  One up front, punts forward, no support, possession surrendered easily, defend deep, invite pressure.  The more **** you throw, something will eventually stick - a positive approach, create 20-odd chances, you might get a goal or two or three, create 5 or 6 chances and obviously, its less likely - and sometimes, you can create your own luck.  I dont mind getting beat if we at least try and have a go.  

4 hours ago, scottyboy said:

Lost interest long ago. No passion for the international team these days. Still waiting on Ernie Walkers think tank. 

indeed , whatever became of it? 

we certainly need a root and branch review  of the whole set up from grass roots to top  level. 

we should learn from the set ups in Iceland and Belgium  and import the aspects that would work for us. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

we certainly need a root and branch review  of the whole set up from grass roots to top  level. 

we should learn from the set ups in Iceland and Belgium  and import the aspects that would work for us. 

Of course we do and of course we should.

Trouble is, that takes years, and that has kind of started, with the likes of SoccerSevens and progression through the ages.  My lad started playing football about 8 years ago, hes now 17, so Im hopeful that we should start seeing the fruits of his age group, and perhaps a couple of years ahead of him, in the next few years.

But regardless, we still demand immediate results from our national team and our national coach.  Fans, and the SFA, need to accept three or four years of pain, but we dont.  We try for short term results, and we get beaten, and I get evermore disinterested.  Just look at the lack of responses to the thread... no one cares anymore.

I do believe there is a bigger social issue that plays its part in the lack of youngsters who dont and wont play football.  And that contributes to a lack of talent.

The lack of money in Scotland means that Joe Bloggs earns a similar wage to your average player.  And to be an average player there is a lot of hard work and a lot of sacrifice.  Maybe its not really worth it?  

There isnt a simple answer.  If the SFA have a plan, publish it, set expectations, let everyone know the plan, and buy into the idea, so that everyone is promoting values to kids that give them every chance of succeeding?

Watching England vs Kosovo.  Kosovo are taking the game to England. Ok, they are getting beat 5-3, at least they are having a go and at least its entertaining.

Teams like Sweden and Denmark, or Russia and Poland, or Ukraine and Switzerland would all struggle against the Kosovans.

Thing is, the population of Kosovo is far far less than ours, and they only have a few years of international football history.  We really should be embarassed how badly we are failing.

Archived