Cost of the Game

Vinnie

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Despite compelling evidence to the contrary, he has been in his job for so long he must actually be doing some right?  

Fixed that for you.

@GG Riva (I think) wrote an article in the Absolute Game over 20 years ago indexing football against the cost of other things. Maybe time for an update:

I remember listening to Ross (Chairman) at a recent event at EEP talking about the day to day running costs of the club. I have no reason to disbelieve what he says but those costs determine the price we have to pay going to the football. With virtually little money coming in from the so called lucrative TV or sponsorship deals clubs need to live within their means of gate prices and imaginative income streams to stay afloat. The margins thereafter are not great. We should be lucky that our club is well run and lives within its means. That may be outwith the expectations of the moronic element of some of our support, but at least we have a club who we can support through bad times and good. COYP

I think folk forget that the TV deal and other sponsorship packages work in favour of the top league teams, and that from the Championship down we get paid the spare change. 

16 hours ago, Superally said:

We should be lucky that our club is well run and lives within its means. 

We chased a dream before, and we almost died.  We are lucky, and if folk need a reminder, look at Bury this season....

oh wait, you cant....

8 minutes ago, Paradox said:

I wonder what impact Brexit (whatever that eventually means) will have on clubs like ours who rely so heavily on income from fans

I dont think itll make much of an impact.  

If anything, we might not have a sponsor for the league?  Do we really make that much money from the league and cup sponsors?

I dont think many of the sponsors of advertising boards at pitchside are big multinationals? Most are local businesses operating relatively locally.  

Bigger multinational companies are the ones most likely to feel the pain, if any.  Bigger clubs with their global operations might feel some of the pain.

Brexit may be imminent, but Rosyth has just won a huge contract from the Navy.  I think Fife may do ok.

Archived