No Smoke Without Fire............

GG Riva

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, like in the U.S. under Trump, we have reached a stage where the majority don't care. There is so much against Johnson, that the tactic seems to be to tough it out a la Trump and then harvest the votes of the under educated credulous English ****holes for whom "Brexit means Brexit" - probably in a pact with Farage. Any other PM would have been finished by now.

This is the real corruption. The expense claims scandal that had the country up in arms was just a side show.

4 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

Sadly, like in the U.S. under Trump, we have reached a stage where the majority don't care.

I certainly wouldnt say folk dont care, Id maybe agree that many are getting bored of the whole Brexit situation. 

Ultimately, as I see it, we were given a vote on an issue that few fully understand, that has no precedence set, and where half-truths were offered as promises by both sides.  The result was that the UK leave the EU, and realistically, Westminster should be following the result.  

Apparently the EU have suggested that there is room to manoeuvre in terms of reaching a deal.  Germany slipping into recession upon "Brexit concerns" might have something to do with it?  

Bearing in mind that much of the population will not understand the intricacies of any deal, I dont think there is much to gain from trying to hold a further referendum. 

5 hours ago, GG Riva said:

I don't want to believe this but.............

<https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/philip-hammond-boris-johnson-speculators-bet-billions-no-deal-brexit-638090>

Could the politicians elected to run our country and safe guard the best interests of all its citizens possibly be so cynical and unscrupulous?

It's an unequivocal YES from me.

I think that your morning papers would have confirmed this story also.

image.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

It is Brexit specific in the UK, but the Trump phenomenon has opened up a whole new playbook to the unscrupulous.

I think that politics always tends to run in cycles, and swings from left to right and back and forth, we just have a wider reaching resource.  The trouble with that is there are a greater number of blogs publishing agenda-skewed half truths, and a free to all internet giving a voice to the stupid.

21 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I think that politics always tends to run in cycles, and swings from left to right and back and forth, we just have a wider reaching resource.  The trouble with that is there are a greater number of blogs publishing agenda-skewed half truths, and a free to all internet giving a voice to the stupid.

I did read years ago, at the onset of the interent about two distinct types of dystopia. One was the big brother, govt controls all information type - like the USSR. The second was that so much information is out there that people no longer know what to think and that would be despots could profit from the chaos and confusion. The second one looks plausible as each day passes - unless you live in China or North Korea I suppose.

20 hours ago, Teuchter said:

I think that your morning papers would have confirmed this story also.

image.jpeg

This made me laugh at a time when there's precious little to laugh about with all that's going on.  Cheers Teuchter.

I hope Johnson and his backers don't manage to achieve the crash out Brexit they seem hell bent on and leave us all to pick up the pieces.....

A bit naughty of you bending the truth there @GG Riva.  They arent hell bent on a No Deal.  They have said they want a Deal if at all possible, and the EU have conceded that there is a deal to be had.  However, they also said that they cant allow the uncertainty surrounding Brexit to remain unresolved indefinitely, there needs to be a deadline, so that the country can move forward. 

There may, or may not be some pain when we leave, but we need to know what is happening so that we can plan for the future, instead of hanging around while politicians exchange playground insults at one another.  

Guest The Beer Baron

Or we all wait until the filthy rich continue to speculate on how much of a ****ing disaster this will be before activating said disaster, resulting on them ****ing over everyone except themselves as they make themselves even more filthy rich.

Surely if its a cluster**** the rich wont really get any richer?  The poor would only get poorer and the rich will simply survive rather than thrive? 

Anyway, its all speculation as there is no precedent for leaving the EU, and nothing to reference?

In fact, for a bit of balance to the topic, if I was a hardline Brexiteer, Id suggest looking at India and Canada and Australia and New Zealand who benefitted from the Commonwealth (a union of sorts) of/with the UK, but have become more independent over time and are reasonably thriving economies?

Guest The Beer Baron

The EU is one of the, if not our biggest market. 

Also, by speculating I mean the examples of some actually betting against the pound and such.

22 minutes ago, The Beer Baron said:

The EU is one of the, if not our biggest market. 

Of course it is, and EU relies on our product as much as we rely on theirs.

With that in mind, with the EU is willing re-negotiate, a trade deal should be at the heart of any new discussions. 

Archived