Girona FC

GG Riva

Girona is not a name many football fans outside of Spain would come up with, if they were asked to name 10 La Liga clubs. Sunday night`s sensational - but well deserved - 4-2 win away to Barcelona, saw this relatively small club climb back up to the top of the table after 16 rounds. They are not poor by any means, having the same backers as Man City, but nor are they on a par with the traditional big hitters immediately below them in the table.

This article in the Guardian is a few months old but gives a bit of history and  background before their meteoric rise;

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/sep/28/girona-la-liga-top-first-time-history-spain
Eta a more recent article by Sid Lowe.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/nov/13/girona-and-their-boy-from-the-barrio-hit-new-heights-on-top-of-la-liga

Edited by GG Riva

59 minutes ago, Al k said:

I saw this the other day, hadn't realised who they were owned by.

Another sports washing "fairytale".

A bit harsh, Al. They're not in the same league as Man City or Newcastle. They have the 12th highest budget in la Liga, nothing like that of Real or Barca.

What they've achieved so far would be like the Rovers going up this season and then sitting top of the Premiership before Christmas next season. They've bought players relatively cheaply, £7.5m is their record buy and they have an astute and charismatic manager.

Sportswashing or not, I'd be delighted for their fans if they become champions of Spain. It would make a welcome change from the Spanish "Old Firm".

Girona`s annual wage bill is around £24 million .. compared to Barca`s £180 million 

I don`t know how true but Girona have never spent more than £7.5 million on a player 

When Leicester won the Premier in 2015/16 their wage bill was around £64 million 

So if all above is correct then it is still indeed a fairytale .. I really hope they go on and win it