Cluster Headaches

With apologies for another less than cheery thread, does anybody else suffer from these ? Until this morning I'd been few of them for a few years but today been absolutely battered by them. Honestly wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.  What medications do you take if you get them ?

For me, the most effective thing is to take Aspirin, especially at the onset. None of the 75mg ones either, two 300mg tablets. Take them with water and lots of it. Codeine is also helpful if the pain is really bad on an occasional basis, although using it regularly can cause headaches. Nurofen Plus has 12.5 mg of Codeine per tablet, the highest strength you'll get OTC.

After being unable to get an appointment yesterday I managed to get seen today, and have been given some wafer things to stick under my tongue at the onset of the next attack.

Had 3 already today, so can only imagine it's not long until the next one.

The Coach - here's a link to explain a bit more about them. Basically they are just indescribably intense headaches on the one side of the head. They can hang around for a few weeks and then disappear for long spells. Doctor was telling me it was almost exactly 5 years I was last there for them.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cluster-headaches/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Guest The Beer Baron

Sounds horrific. I sometimes get shooting pain in the side of my head, but it barely lasts for a minute, never mind days.

So the wafer things ended up doing sweet FA and have had another couple of pretty brutal days.

Prescription changed to Amitriptaline (sp ?) to try and prevent headaches and max strength aspirin for when they come along. Have had 3 "attacks" today and they have - whilst still feeling bloody awful - not been as severe as those in previous days.

JR, I luckily have never had a headache in my life due to lack of brain cells, however I did know someone who took a herb called feverfew and that reduced the pain by 90%. I was the one who told them about it but I cannot remember if it can be had from the chemist or not. Latin name is Tanacetum Parthenium . You can grow it in your garden. Hope it works.

JR, I luckily have never had a headache in my life due to lack of brain cells, however I did know someone who took a herb called feverfew and that reduced the pain by 90%. I was the one who told them about it but I cannot remember if it can be had from the chemist or not. Latin name is Tanacetum Parthenium . You can grow it in your garden. Hope it works.

Cheers for the tip. Ordered some today from Amazon. It's got really good reviews on there.

Anything has to be worth a go. It looks like they're hell bent on not giving me the injections this time round and, more often than not, the pain has been unbearable the last week now.

Hey JR, thought I'd reply as I have suffered from cluster headaches for most of my life along with various other neuralgic pain. I think it's been three years since my last CH episode, however, we hen you are in the middle of one, you certainly know all about it.

My trigger is usually extreme stress, especially when I am not in control of the outcome of events (I was particularly afflicted before my wedding, almost 20yr ago!) 

I am now better at controlling anxiety and the CH episodes have reduced in frequency.

Over the years I have had two types of meds that may be effective: low daily doses of Amitriptyline as a preventer on occasions when I know I might be prone to CHs. 

The other is Zolmitriptan - a migraine medication that is taken when you first feel a headache coming on. This is expensive and you may have to pester your GP to deliver but it it effective if you time it right.

i also had acupuncture once, which helped reduce the intensity of attacks.

Not much else helps and now when I am suffering I simply lie in a hot bath with only my nose above water and stay there until the water turns cold. Keep your eyes open - so no soapy bubbles.

I suffer from trigeminal neuralgia (look it up) now, so CHs are the least of my worries, but sympathise with your suffering. Don't let it beat you though and the doc can help if he's willing. Hope this reads alright cos I can't really preview what I'm writing on an IPad cos of lots of banners in the way. cHeers mate

Archived