Liverpool and Chelsea - Scum

Fu_Manchu

http://www.disabledgo.com/blog/2016/05/eight-premier-league-clubs-set-to-break-promises-on-access-mps-hear/

Interesting read where Liverpool FC have made it quite plain that corporate hospitality punters matter more than providing access for disabled fans. Chelsea are no better. Gives me the boak.

More importantly, it makes me feel proud to support a club that does car about it's disabled fans...

The whole English game lost the plot years ago, it's a big fukcin financial meat grinder with no regard for the ordinary supporter.

I'm proud of the fact we're looking after the interests of all our supporters, even fannies that drink in Charlie D's :-)

With the small caveat that this is a story from a group with a partizan interest in the issue, who may have some motivation for playing it up... this is appalling and indefensible from those clubs named.

Liverpool especially should take a hard look at themselves if they have not made accessibility a central part of their redevelopment this summer. What an opportunity they had/have to make significant changes and potentially become leaders in the field. If they haven't prioritised this it's shocking.

I did note that the requirement is to meet certain levels by August, so I'm hoping that this will be a case of them completing some work late (which still isn't great) as opposed to it not happening at all. I don't know enough about the plans or schedule though, and (going by that story at least) it doesn't seem likely that they have much in the way of explanation or mitigation.

As noted, I'm glad the Pars have such a progressive approach, in the face of significant budgetary limitations.

With the small caveat that this is a story from a group with a partizan interest in the issue, who may have some motivation for playing it up...

I did think that to some degree myself, I just didn't want to be the first to say it, especially in my "wrecking ball" manner that would have been taken the wrong way.

That said, I find it incredible that Wrexham with their "fag pack accounts returns" and 500 fans a game, can find the cash for accessibility, whilst Premiership clubs cant.

As noted in the report, the Disability Discrimination Act was in1995, the (advisory) Accessible Stadia Guide in 2003 and the Equality Act in 2010.

It's not as though any of this is news to footbaĺl clubs - and not just in England. Sadly, many clubs still don't realise there is an untapped market of disabled fans who would like to attend if facilities were improved - and anyway, it is the right thing to do.

I confess that before getting involved with disabled access issues at EEP I was oblivious to many of the problems.

Archived