Atlantic League

El Patrón

As much as I wish them away, its not the best move for them.  There wont be the money they crave, and I whilst this is still very much at an early stage, I imagine there wouldn't be a route into the European big leagues competition.

There have been talks of such a move for a couple of decades.  There will be reasons that this hasn't got of the ground yet - I wonder are the same issues still lingering?

Is this the same Rangers about whom we were constantly told in 2012 that Scottish football would face Armageddon without them? I imagine that their built in benevolence and concern for the greater good of Scottish football will see them politely decline the offer.

Please let this be true so that we can say goodbye! goodbye! to both sets of silly billy bhoys very soon.

In fairness if the Champions League becomes a closed shop for the so called elite and historically important "big 4" then 

big teams in small leagues all over Europe may as well go for this idea. Celtic/Rangers easily fall into this category. Just cause Rangers are gash

the now does not make any other team from hereaboots like Aberdeen or Hearts a viable alternative to join Celtic.

What they bring to any Atlantic League set-up is ready made worldwide TV audience that any Danish/Portuguese/Dutch/Belgian teams

would want as part of the package. 

What they bring to any Atlantic League set-up is ready made worldwide TV audience that any Danish/Portuguese/Dutch/Belgian teams

would want as part of the package. 

Fan base, tv revenue, and sponsorship revenue will all be of interest.

Of course, what that doesn't take into consideration the low regard for Scottish clubs by the likes of Sky and BT for providing UK coverage which would probably be their main tv viewing market - none of the countries involved have a huge population.

If all the smaller countries banded together against the big 4 it could be catalyst for a new league or a revamped champions league that

was not dominated by the big 4, In reality they would pick off a few of the countries and break any unity.

European football used to be such a great spectacle. It is lurching towards an NFL style model of franchise's for places.

Archived