Sacked in the morning, yer gettin' sacked in the morning...

ExxyJj

Exactly. Decent record at Boro, wasn't great at England but the experience will have stood him in good stead, did well in the Netherlands, harshly treated first time by Derby... I know it's fashionable to knock folk but he's an interesting candidate and would be a lot better than almost every candidate mentioned so far.

• 3 weeks later...

After they took a long time sifting through applications and then interviewing candidates, Hearts have arrived at the conclusion that the best man for the job is....

Craig Levein. He was on the aforementioned interview panel, which means he's actually just wasted everyone's time and decided that he is the best candidate for the job. Bizarre. I'm sure he'll do alright, but it's hardly going to have Hearts challenging up at the top end of the table.

Guest The Beer Baron

I'd be utterly seething if I was a Hearts fan. He doesn't represent progress for them I feel and neither does their structure.

Hahaha... thats laughable!

Levein is a diddy and hes definitely the cheapest option.

The list of guys that Hearts supposedly looked at was made up of foreigners who understand and can work well with a Director of Football, or the usual Scottish suspect.  Few Scottish or even British managers have experience of working with a DoF - it was always a recipe for disaster.

It always helps if the DoF has a decent track record as a player or a manager, rather than being a twat, and being inferior to the guys below him. 

The list of guys that Hearts supposedly looked at was made up of foreigners who understand and can work well with a Director of Football, or the usual Scottish suspect.  Few Scottish or even British managers have experience of working with a DoF - it was always a recipe for disaster.

It always helps if the DoF has a decent track record as a player or a manager, rather than being a twat, and being inferior to the guys below him. 

Pedantry; Levein was a very fine player, and his managerial record at Hearts and Dundee United was decent.

But aye, it's still a howler of an appointment. He was out of his depth at Leicester and abysmal at Scotland, and undeniably comes across as a massive bell end, which didn't help him during his spell in charge of the national team. That spell also showed him to be hugely out of touch, and if a lot of the signing Hearts have made recently are down to him, things haven't changed

Pedantry; Levein was a very fine player, and his managerial record at Hearts and Dundee United was decent.

But aye, it's still a howler of an appointment. He was out of his depth at Leicester and abysmal at Scotland, and undeniably comes across as a massive bell end, which didn't help him during his spell in charge of the national team. That spell also showed him to be hugely out of touch, and if a lot of the signing Hearts have made recently are down to him, things haven't changed

Pedantry; Levein was passable as a player and his record as manager at Hearts and Dundee United was average.

As pointed out, he was abysmal at Leicester and at Scotland, and I agree, this showed up his methods as out of touch - which demonstrates my point about him being inferior to the guys beneath him - Cathro was a better appointment than his record demonstrates, and guys like Ravenelli were probably considered too revolutionary for Leveins antiquated way of thinking.

Archived