Sacked in the morning, yer gettin' sacked in the morning...

ExxyJj

There doesn't seem to be a clear favourite. The guys who are tried and tested such as Wright and Houston might want complete control over football matters. Hartley is linked but would they appointing a manager let go by what they deem as a smaller club? Stephen pressely seems to divide opinion. Mcphee could be a shout seems, highly regarded but was cathro assistant so I don't know how the fans will like that. Then there's the coach's still there such as Daly and Kirk.

Btw if they hadn't lost the pen against peterhead would they have been through with a draw v us?

I think a draw against Peterhead would have still put pressure on him. Even if the had got through I think it would have been viewed by many Jambos as a stay of execution, barring a miraculous change in results.

He has struggled in all of his cup ties against lower league opposition, even last season. His responses in the media to these results didn't help him.

Btw if they hadn't lost the pen against peterhead would they have been through with a draw v us?

Here's the table as it stood after that game.

Had it finished as a draw, Hearts would have had either 7 or 8 points and Peterhead either 5 or 4.

With the latter It would have been over for Peterhead. With the former, their win would have brought them to 8 points, so Hearts' draw with us would have been enough to go through.

I think.

Table.JPG

Had it finished as a draw, Hearts would have had either 7 or 8 points and Peterhead either 5 or 4.

With the latter It would have been over for Peterhead. With the former, their win would have brought them to 8 points, so Hearts' draw with us would have been enough to go through.

I think.

Hmmm ..... I don't think that's right.

If the Peterhead/Hearts match had ended in a draw then it would have gone to a penalty shoot-out for the bonus point, and Hearts would had either 7 or 8 points, as SP says.

However, Hearts only picked up 1 point from their match with DAFC, so they would have finished the section with either 8 or 9 points. 8 points would have seen them eliminated on points, while with 9 points they would have had a GD of only +4. The four section runners-up who went through to the next round were Dundee, Ross County and Partick Thistle (all with 10 pts), and Kilmarnock (9 pts, GD +6).

So, if the Peterhead/Hearts match had ended in a draw, for Hearts to progress they would have had to win both penalty shoot-outs (Peterhead and DAFC), which would have given them 10 points and won the section, with DAFC having 9 points (GD +10) pipping Killie for the final spot in the next round. Alternatively, if they had lost the penalty shoot-out to Peterhead and then beaten Dunfermline they would again have had 10 points and won the section - Pars and Peterhead would both have been eliminated, with only 8 points.

I think.

Hmmm ..... I don't think that's right.

If the Peterhead/Hearts match had ended in a draw then it would have gone to a penalty shoot-out for the bonus point, and Hearts would had either 7 or 8 points, as SP says.

However, Hearts only picked up 1 point from their match with DAFC, so they would have finished the section with either 8 or 9 points. 8 points would have seen them eliminated on points, while with 9 points they would have had a GD of only +4. The four section runners-up who went through to the next round were Dundee, Ross County and Partick Thistle (all with 10 pts), and Kilmarnock (9 pts, GD +6).

So, if the Peterhead/Hearts match had ended in a draw, for Hearts to progress they would have had to win both penalty shoot-outs (Peterhead and DAFC), which would have given them 10 points and won the section, with DAFC having 9 points (GD +10) pipping Killie for the final spot in the next round. Alternatively, if they had lost the penalty shoot-out to Peterhead and then beaten Dunfermline they would again have had 10 points and won the section - Pars and Peterhead would both have been eliminated, with only 8 points.

You're right, I misspoke - when I said enough to go through, I should have said enough to finish in the top 2. I was forgetting that not all 2nd place teams qualified. Probably because we won the group and I don't bother with those who are beneath us... :-)

Archived