Train (and other public transport) to away games

Captain Deadpool

Since I get the train to pretty much all away games, and since I'm killing time before I finish for the day, I thought I would start a thread detailing train travel (and, where required, other public transport) to games in case anyone is unsure about the logistics.

The train for me is best since it's quicker than a bus, is more comfortable, has toilets and allows you to have a beer (indeed even sells beer, although that's an absolute last/emergency resort).

Anyway, kicking off with this weekend against Brechin.

It's a simple one, with the train to Montrose, then a quick service bus to Brechin. The bus stops at the train station itself and drops you off in Clerk Street in Brechin. Bus is run by stagecoach and is the number 39. Points to note for the return journey are that there's an Aldi right by the train station and a Tesco a few minutes walk away. If you want a pint, The Market Arms is a 5 minute walk from the train station. 

When I travel I also favour the train over bus for the reasons you have just posted.

However I must point out that if you have to resort to emergency supplies of beer from the railway company you have fallen down in my previous high estimation of your good self. When I go to various cities to watch football in Romania I always go with an emegency supply of beer that can be bought from local stores, it tends to be 7.2% so a six pack of 500ml per bottle is required. The beer here costs as much as 50p per litre and entry to a game starts at one round pound for the top division.

After more than forty years I will be return back home to Scotland next year so I look forward to better football and cheaper prices.xD

• 3 weeks later...

I won't be going, but for Queen of the South away, the details are;

You need to get to Central Station in Glasgow. Train to Queen Street or bus to Buchanan Street Station is the first part. From Central you can get a train directly down to Dumfries. There's only one station in Dumfries so you can't miss it. It's not a long walk in to the town centre.

Be aware that for the train back, there are no shops around the station, so if you want some beer or juice or snacks etc, you'll need to stop off in the town centre at the Premier (the only shop in the town centre that will sell beer) or leave plenty of time to go to the big Morrisons which is adjacent to the town centre. Happily there's a chippy just along from the train station, and it's fairly decent.

There are plenty of pubs in the town centre, so take your pick. Many away fans end up in the Spread Eagle bar, which is just across the big bridge en route to the ground, and a quick walk from the ground itself. 

You need to get to Central Station in Glasgow. Train to Queen Street or bus to Buchanan Street Station is the first part. From Central you can get a train directly down to Dumfries. There's only one station in Dumfries so you can't miss it. It's not a long walk in to the town centre.

Be aware that for the train back, there are no shops around the station, so if you want some beer or juice or snacks etc, you'll need to stop off in the town centre at the Premier (the only shop in the town centre that will sell beer) or leave plenty of time to go to the big Morrisons which is adjacent to the town centre. Happily there's a chippy just along from the train station, and it's fairly decent.

There are plenty of pubs in the town centre, so take your pick. Many away fans end up in the Spread Eagle bar, which is just across the big bridge en route to the ground, and a quick walk from the ground itself. 

Or do what myself and a few mates done years ago and stash a bag of cans in the bushes next to the train station...

Thankfully still there on our way home as because of cancellations we had to come home via Carlisle!

Guest The Beer Baron

Or do what myself and a few mates done years ago and stash a bag of cans in the bushes next to the train station...

Thankfully still there on our way home as because of cancellations we had to come home via Carlisle!

Doesn't always work. Dumbarton and Hamilton are two places that I can think of that I've had stashes stolen. :(

Done it before in Dumfries and had success. Not really a tactic I like to do these days though. 

Doesn't always work. Dumbarton and Hamilton are two places that I can think of that I've had stashes stolen. :(

Ah ****ing Hamilton! Boooo!

• 9 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect this one.

Dundee is an easy place to get to. You have the option of train (you need to go to Inverkeithing or Kirkcaldy first, then it's direct to Dundee), bus (X24 or X54 I think) that goes from Dunfermline bus station (but takes ages and sometimes changes in Glenrothes) or Megabus (from Halbeath Park and Ride; this is a direct service and is quicker than the Stagecoach buses).

Train or Megabus are you best options. Megabus is probably the cheapest, although the train is fairly cheap if you book enough in advance. Trains allow beer outright, although Megabus tolerates it as long as you can be subtle about it (especially taking it on; make sure it's hidden if you do) and aren't being a tit. Stagecoach won't allow beer, and even if you're stealthy about it chances are some miserable old pensioner will grass you in to the driver.

Anyway, the both Stagecoach and Megabus will take you to Dundee bus station, which is in the Seagate area of the city. This is a very short walk to the city centre. There are numerous pubs in the city centre. A quick walk up the street (called Seagate) will bring you to a couple of decent ones. Tickety Boos is not bad. The Capital is just across and will be more kid friendly. Keep walking and you will be in the city centre itself. Walk until the Caird Hall is on your left and you then have the best choice of pubs in the city centre. Keep walking a bit further in the same direction will bring to Trades, a popular large bar with good selection. On that street is Bank Bar, a nice alternative. If instead of walking straight on with the Caird Hall on your left you turn right, you will go on to Reform Street. Here you will find The Old Bank Bar and further up The Counting House, a large Wetherspoons. This looks out on to the McManus Art Gallery. Behind that is Brewdog. Reform Street has lots of food places as well. McDonalds is an obvious choice but is busy on Saturdays. Project Pizza is farther along (make your own pizza! it also has a big screen with Sky Sports and sells beer to go along with your pizza; it has a takeaway as well) and also German Doner Kebab, a sit in place that does genuine German Doner Kebabs (obviously). Dai Pai does Asian food. Never been. Wetherspoons of course will do you cheap food (top tip; get the Wetherspoons app as you can order drinks and food from your table on it and don't have to queue at the bar).

If you get the train you will note that the station has finally been done up. Nice. Coming out of the main entrance you will turn left towards the city centre. Immediately you'll see a pub, The Club Bar. Opposite this is The Star and Garter. You will probably want to avoid both. Further up this street is the aforementioned Bank Bar and Trades. Turn right here will take you in to the city centre. You'll see the Overgate Shopping Centre (no bars but plenty of food places including Five Guys).

If you want to go to bars around the area of the stadium, you'll need to get there first. There are regular buses that will take you there. From the The Counting House, the aforementioned Wetherspoons, you can see a set of bus stops. Most of the buses that stop here will take you to Dens Road. The 1a, 1b, 18 and 19 are the best ones to get. There's a taxi rank here as well. You can walk up to the ground, which doesn't take long but does mean going up a big ******* of a hill, the Hilltown. It's the big hill behind the Wellgate Shopping Centre. If you come out of the bus station, turn up towards the shopping centre (go up St Andrew's street), go through the shopping centre to the very top and out the back then just walk up the big hill.

At the top of the hill, in the area near the grounds, there are quite a few pubs. This area is known as the Hilltown, locally the Hilltoon or Hilton. The Lizzy bus is going to the Bowbridge Bar; this is just at the peak of the big hill up from the city centre (i.e. where it finally flattens out). This bar is at the end of the street I live on, but I've never actually been! Opposite this is Haileys, a decent old man's boozer that has all the football channels owing to a (quite legal) box they have. Jim Spence frequents this pub. Just down the hill, like 30 seconds from the Bowbridge, is a Spar. Good for a carry out and has a cash machine outside. The Bowbridge is on a corner. Go down Main Street (where I live) and you'll see The Snug Bar. This is a United pub but does allow away fans.

Go further up the road from the Bowbridge and there is a cash machine outside the post office. There's a Ladbrokes next door. Keep going you will pass Barrells, a larger bar that does food. There's a good shop for a carry out just beside it. Just up from that is The Athletic Bar. It's decent. Just up and across is a wee retail bit that has a Gregggs, a Tesco Express (good for a carry out), a Ladbrokes and a chippy that does pizza and ice cream. Yum! Across the road, at the roundabout, is Frews. This is a quality bar.

Any questions about Dundee bars, food place, transport etc I will be happy to answer!

Yeah the Bowbridge is a bit course but the service is good, the beer is half decent, got Sky Sports and they've got pool tables.

The lad Stevie who has it has done okay by us last 3 times we've been in. They're not bothered about the customary sing song pre-match either.

Usually offers to put food on but there's no room for ****e like that.

Archived