if Partick Thistle ruled the world

I was just reading one of the McAuslan books of humorous short stories by George MacDonald Fraser. It has an account of the battalion football team of a Highland Regiment on tour in Malta, just after the end of WWII.

It contains the wonderful passage " The battalion was mainly made up of Glaswegians who played football morning, noon and night. They followed Glasgow Celtic or Glasgow Rangers according to religion. All apart from Daft Bob Brown, the Battalion Idiot, who supported Partick Thistle ...".

That made me reflect on how much better Scottish football might have been had Partick Thistle grabbed the dominant share of support in the city of Glasgow back before 1900.  

Agree or Disagree?

I most certainly agree, but in the days before TV, success on the pitch alone was no guarantee to building up a huge fan base. Folk needed other reasons to get behind a particular team.

As I understand it, Celtic's roots meant they were immediately attractive to the considerable Irish Catholic immigrant population and Rangers subsequently built up their fan base among those who resented everything Celtic represented. 

It's ironic to think that, if Celtic hadn't existed, Rangers might have been similar in stature to Partick Thistle today.

Guest The Beer Baron

That says everything you need to know about Rangers, their roots and what they stand for. An establishment based on hatred and bases all it's decisions on an "enemy".

If Partick Thistle and Queens Park were the two dominant teams in Glasgow, it wouldn't have  translated into a bigot free Nirvana. The splits in society would have translated into them. 

Take Paris. Only one large club, but a support split amongst themselves. A few years back they had to play a match behind closed doors due to violence between their own fans from different parts of the ground. The split  in the PSG support vaguely reflects divisions in society.

In the case of Rangers, although society spawned them, the baggage associated with following them is helping to keep the flame of bigotry alive in modern times. I think they are influencing society more than society influences them these days.

Twenty years ago, the Partick Secretary Secretary, who was a bit of raconteur, used to do guided tours of Firhill. 

He used to end his tour by reflecting that it was probably a corporate error by The Jags, back in the nineteenth century, to go for Judaism as their religion of choice. Funnily enough I then had a Jewish client who was on the Partick Thistle Board. 

I agree that football can't cure social ills, but I do think they can make them worse. Sadly, I think Glasgow is a case study in what can go wrong when sectarianism becomes embedded. 

In 1995, Mark Scot was murdered in the street in Glasgow because he was wearing the wrong scarf. It was horrific. I knew his father. One result was the 'Nil by Mouth' charity to fight sectarianism. I will never forget the impact that it had on his dad.

If Partick Thistle and Queens Park were the two dominant teams in Glasgow, it wouldn't have  translated into a bigot free Nirvana. The splits in society would have translated into them. 

Take Paris. Only one large club, but a support split amongst themselves. A few years back they had to play a match behind closed doors due to violence between their own fans from different parts of the ground. The split  in the PSG support vaguely reflects divisions in society.

In the case of Rangers, although society spawned them, the baggage associated with following them is helping to keep the flame of bigotry alive in modern times. I think they are influencing society more than society influences them these days.

It's not often I jump to the defence of Rangers, but it's a sad fact that there are plenty of idiots on the other side of the divide who are only too happy to perpetuate the bigotry, by passing it in to the next generation. Not that this excuses Rangers but it doesvtake two to tango. 

Archived