Gun Control In The States

Vinnie

The fall out from this shooting continues.  A range of companies are cutting ties from the NRA.

Maybe the penny has finally dropped Stateside? 

I was pretty shocked to discover that these companies (and many others) gave discounts to NRA members. How ****ed up is it that you get a discount on a car because you have an assault rifle?! Once again it just shows that they value dollars over the lives of children

The fall out from this shooting continues.  A range of companies are cutting ties from the NRA.

I was pretty shocked to discover that these companies (and many others) gave discounts to NRA members. How ****ed up is it that you get a discount on a car because you have an assault rifle?! Once again it just shows that they value dollars over the lives of children

If you look at it coldly as a profit making organisation would, it makes perfect sense. The NRA has 5 million members and a lot of events and conferences. The companies concerned were almost all related to the type things required for a weekend away - airlines, credit cards, car hire etc.

This won't hurt the NRA as it does not touch their funding. It is a few discounts here and there for members.

If you look at it coldly as a profit making organisation would, it makes perfect sense. The NRA has 5 million members and a lot of events and conferences. The companies concerned were almost all related to the type things required for a weekend away - airlines, credit cards, car hire etc.

This won't hurt the NRA as it does not touch their funding. It is a few discounts here and there for members.

As much as anything else, I think this demonstrates there is a recognition of the need for change, even if it is a tiny step at a time.  Everything is a step at a time, particularly when you consider that the right to bear arms is a major part of their constitution.

Also these scumbags bang on about the constitution protecting their 'right's to 'bear arms' yet don't know or don't understand the rest of the constitution. Basically they are selectively quoting 

I agree about the selective quoting, though that happens in walks of life.  We even see it daily on these forums, for trivial little things that folk get far too wound up about.

I think that the thing about the Yanks, is that the country is only 200 odd years old, they have no real history there, so their Constitution represents that history for them in a way. I think that's why they are so attached to it, its something historically theirs.  What they don't consider, is that being just over 200 years old, the Constitution is outdated and probably needs to be modernised.  But they won't because its their history.

I can understand your optimism about small steps, but normal common sense does not apply in the U.S. You just need to look at the occupant of the Whitehouse to see that.

There may be an advantage with the gun reformers at the minute, but we shouldn’t underestimate the power of the gun lobby. They also have friends right at the top. You may be right to be optimistic, but even if they do outlaw these weapons, what happens to the millions that are there already and the owners who are criminalised overnight? There is no quick solution  - if there is one.

I can understand your optimism about small steps, but normal common sense does not apply in the U.S. You just need to look at the occupant of the Whitehouse to see that.

There may be an advantage with the gun reformers at the minute, but we shouldn’t underestimate the power of the gun lobby. They also have friends right at the top. You may be right to be optimistic, but even if they do outlaw these weapons, what happens to the millions that are there already and the owners who are criminalised overnight? There is no quick solution  - if there is one.

I guess I cant disagree about common sense - particularly those that STILL idolise Trump despite him bouncing from one drama to another almost weekly!

I also guess that small steps take even longer when you consider the size and population of the States, and even longer when they have so many laws varying from State to State. 

Archived