Gun Control In The States

Vinnie

No surprise that the internet is burning up in the States with chatter about whether gun control should be put in place. 

It seems like a no brainer to us in the UK.

I know its the Second Amendment and its in the Constitution, a document that is about a couple of hundred years old.  Traditionalists will say its part of the fabric of America, but surely there is a way to control gun ownership rather than abolish it?

Who needs an AK47 or an Uzi to protect their home?  I can, up to a point understand the desire to own a handgun.  6 rounds should be more than enough as a deterrent against a burgler?  Perhaps even owning a second handgun for the missus?  

The influence of the NRA are largely to blame along with the politicians that take the blood money handed out to them.

There is an article in the New York Times stating that John McCain has been given $7.7million, in first place and even down to tenth in the blood money stakes Bill Cassidy gots $2.8million.

I do not think any of them taking this money will be brave enough to go down to Florida to meet the families face to face that have been affected.

I dont really blame the NRA though, or at least not completely.

Its their role to promote and/or protect the rights granted to their members under the terms of the Constitution.  Where they are gun enthusiasts, they are standing up for their own beliefs.  If they enjoy gun clubs and gun related activities, fine, no bother, each to their own, I suppose.

Where I do blame the NRA is the short sighted view that they are unwilling to support more stringent licensing or control of firearms.  Im not suggesting that they abolish guns completely - that might be a step too far at the moment.  But why would anybody need an arsenal of automatic weapons at home?  As I said earlier, a household might "need" a handgun - if they really must, maybe two if you register the second gun in a spouses name. Register automatic guns to gun clubs and allow enthusiasts to fire them in controlled environments.  

Its really not rocket science! 

**** them. It is their bed, they can lie in it. I am past caring about dead septics.

The deaths from the domestic shootings are a fraction compared to those across the third world as a result of U.S.( and Soviet/ Russian) arms dumping. The arms lobby in general seems to be untouchable and is fuelled by massive profits. I would not be surprised if their money was bolstering the NRA.

I notice in this instance thoughts and prayers are a sufficient response given the background of the shooter.

The deaths from the domestic shootings are a fraction compared to those across the third world as a result of U.S.( and Soviet/ Russian) arms dumping.

Unfortunately that is fairly commonplace it would seem, and therefore not new or newsworthy.  I can imagine that Americans are also aware of the fact, and don't particularly wish to highlight their role, so its gets buried by their media.

As for Florida, a key state when Trump was elected, there is major backlash against Trump now.  I guess all these gun crimes are "fine" in the States until it happens on your own doorstep - its amazing the turnaround in views on gun control all of the sudden from Florida(ians).

He now wants to arm teachers. Kerrrrching for the arms industry.

So that answers my question - I was being naïve!  One step forward and twenty steps back .

Why would teachers want to be armed?  Surely the fact that they are teachers who, for the most part, wish to better kids, and help them, and develop them, tells you these people are essentially good people, and that they would be unlikely to wish to inflict harm.

And further evidence, if you needed it, that Trump really is a clueless auld wankstain - He used a cheat sheet at a sit down with survivors.

Trump is a illiterate cretin. He's truly an absolutely vile individual who needs to be put down. Astonishing to think that anyone voted for him, let alone millions, many of who believe the 'draining the swamp' and 'MAGA' nonsense. 

Gun control is indeed a no brainer, but the no brainers who advocate for guns will never be swayed. It's huge business in America and those businesses have peddled the same hilariously transparent and easily ripped apart lies to morons, such as the constitution argument, who lap it up and promote their cause, not even having the slightest notion that it's all about profit and they're being used for fools. The businesses must still be laughing at how easy it was in the first place and how easy it continues to be, whilst they get braying scum to readily accept their lies and promote their cause. They don't care about the human cost. To them huge profits are easily worth dead schoolkids. The supporters are no better, just stupider, as they don't get any of the profits. They just get dead schoolkids.

Yet Trump continues to defend the NRA.

Penny dropped my a@@e. There are still millions over there clinging to their right to own military assault weapons.

The head of the NRA says those looking for gun control are unpatriotic and that they hate freedom. On the other hand Trump tweets that the head of the NRA is a freedom loving patriot.

As I said in my first post - f@@k them. It is none of our business. The world increasingly, and rightly, shrugs its shoulders as the death toll of septics mount.

Archived