Platini and Qatar

Vinnie

Michel Platini has been taken into police custody over allegations of corruption connected to Qatar being awarded the 2022 World Cup.

And the English are getting all semi-ed about the possibility that theyll be asked to step in and take it on... 

I thought he was serving on the UEFA Executive Committee rather than FIFAs?  

And, should Europe host the World Cup again?  Perhaps it should be Australia? Or China?  Both have an infrastructure to support hosting the event on three years notice

Guest The Beer Baron

If anyone is surprised by this they need a brick to the skull, it was obvious to anyone with a brain that this was a corrupt decision.

In fairness, you should be able to hold a World Cup in the Middle East.  Its the World Cup, it shouldnt be exclusive to Europe and the Americas.

What was particularly nonsensical is the need to build stadia specifically for the purpose, that will all become white Elephants afterwards. 

It should be played anywhere, however if you haven't any of the infrastructure and you abuse human rights and kill over 1500 people to build it, then it's perhaps not a good idea to hold the tournament in that country.

These people have no shame and there's no limit to their greed. You would think ulta rich people like Platini would have no need to stoop to such underhand tactics for sums of money that are almost loose change to them.

Many fine journalists have been calling those in power at FIFA and UEFA out for decades about corrupt practices. Those in Africa, Asia and the American confederations are no better, but everyone buried their heads in the sand and they continued to act with impunity.

Every nation should stand together and refuse to participate in the 2022 WC. Failing that, the major clubs should refuse to release their international stars. What could FIFA do? Why should a WC be played in a searingly hot environment at a time which will disrupt almost every league of participating countries around the globe.

Id expect, if any compelling evidence is indeed found, that Qatar will be stripped of the World Cup.  

I suspect that players self interest will stop them boycotting a Qatari World Cup.  A World Cup appearance is an audition for a big move and lucrative contract.  A World Cup on a CV is worth ££££s on a contract extension. 

Id also be inclined to think that sponsors might apply pressure too.  Adidas, for example, would expect a fit Messi to appear.  Or, Nike, would hold a fit Ronaldo to contractual obligations.

8 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Id expect, if any compelling evidence is indeed found, that Qatar will be stripped of the World Cup.  

I suspect that players self interest will stop them boycotting a Qatari World Cup.  A World Cup appearance is an audition for a big move and lucrative contract.  A World Cup on a CV is worth ££££s on a contract extension. 

Id also be inclined to think that sponsors might apply pressure too.  Adidas, for example, would expect a fit Messi to appear.  Or, Nike, would hold a fit Ronaldo to contractual obligations.

FIFA will not strip Qatar of the WC. Can you imagine all the lawsuits coming in for all the money they've spent on stadia and loss of potential earnings during the tournament? I wouldn't expect the world to do without a WC in 2022 either, but they could move it to another country which already has the infrastructure (UK?) and hold  it in June/July as in previous editions, if the will was there.

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

FIFA will not strip Qatar of the WC. Can you imagine all the lawsuits coming in for all the money they've spent on stadia and loss of potential earnings during the tournament? 

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

I wouldn't expect the world to do without a WC in 2022 either, but they could move it to another country which already has the infrastructure (UK?) and hold  it in June/July as in previous editions, if the will was there.

Your points seem contradictory?  So which is it? - Keep the World Cup in Qatar in 2022, or give it to a suitably developed nation?  

My preference would be for Australia. It shouldnt just flit between Europe and the Americas. The last host nation was European, so it shouldnt be the UK (and even then, its unlikely to be the whole UK, most likely just England, because I cant imagine FIFA granting three or four host nations, a free pass to the Finals). 

Guest The Beer Baron
10 hours ago, GG Riva said:

FIFA will not strip Qatar of the WC. Can you imagine all the lawsuits coming in for all the money they've spent on stadia and loss of potential earnings during the tournament? I wouldn't expect the world to do without a WC in 2022 either, but they could move it to another country which already has the infrastructure (UK?) and hold  it in June/July as in previous editions, if the will was there.

Agreed, everyone should boycott then we step back in at the last minute along with the likes of American Samoa, Sam Marino and Croatia (great record against them)

22 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Your points seem contradictory?  So which is it? - Keep the World Cup in Qatar in 2022, or give it to a suitably developed nation?  

My preference would be for Australia. It shouldnt just flit between Europe and the Americas. The last host nation was European, so it shouldnt be the UK (and even then, its unlikely to be the whole UK, most likely just England, because I cant imagine FIFA granting three or four host nations, a free pass to the Finals). 

It's not really contradictory, Vinnie, just not very well put across. FIFA won't take the WC away from Qatar for fear of a legal challenge which could see them having to pay £billions in compensation, so if the participating nations simply boycotted it there would be no WC, but they could agree among themselves to hold it in a different country in 2022 and stick to fingers up to FIFA. 

Can't see it though.

27 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

It's not really contradictory, Vinnie, just not very well put across. FIFA won't take the WC away from Qatar for fear of a legal challenge which could see them having to pay £billions in compensation, so if the participating nations simply boycotted it there would be no WC, but they could agree among themselves to hold it in a different country in 2022 and stick to fingers up to FIFA. 

Can't see it though.

FIFA wouldnt sanction it, who would organise and sponsor it? 

Guest The Beer Baron
2 hours ago, the saline hill puma said:

if Scotland somehow qualify for the world cup in Qatar I will be going.

Only if they have electric push scooters.

Archived