Hibs Ownership

Teuchter

I haven’t read any in-depth coverage on the subject, but I get the impression that the entrance into Hibs by Ronald Gordon is seen almost universally as a good thing and there is even speculation that a spending spree is imminent.

From what I can make out, Hibs have been put on a sustainable footing under the last regime. Maybe the new guy is a good thing for the club, but relatively little seems to be known about him.

Many tragic tales of football clubs pushed to the brink of their very existence start with “once upon a time, there arrived a supposed  multi-millionaire who promised great things” 

Perhaps proper due diligence has been done, but has anyone noted any questions getting asked in the media about this guy’s credentials?

Hibs fans are genuinely excited.  The guys background is in broadcasting, hes not even sure if hes genuinely a Hibs fan, and I find it strange that anyone would throw money at Scottish football in its current state.  

From what my Hibee colleagues say - who all know someone in the know, so obviously this is absolute gospel - I understand that hes looking to develop the training facilities, improve the academy, sell any talent on, and then plan to take on the Old Firm.  A project rather than a quick money grab.  Although he's not planning to increase capacity at Easter Road, so not sure how he plans to fund seriously competing with clubs with double the fan base, especially if hes interested in developing talent to sell off. 

As a grand plan, could he have plans to buy a bigger club and make Hibs their feeder? 

Or perhaps, I can see him eventually trying to merge the Edinburgh clubs to compete with the Bigots.  I dont think he has a deep knowledge of how deep football loyalties and rivalries run here. 

Wee update:  

Speaking to those with the knowledge, he's not a Hibs fan, he was looking at a number of clubs for an investment opportunity, Tom Farmer is getting auld and ill looking and wanted out, and it seems factors conspired to make Hibs the right fit.  

Hibs fans dont think its a short term fix, they recognise there is a longer term agenda, and the expectation is that they will regularly be best of the rest in Scotland.  

With the guy being a broadcaster, perhaps Neil Doncaster and the rest of the Executive Board will recognise this skill set and allow him to promote Scottish Football and utilise his expertise when negotiating TV and Sponsorship deals? 

19 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Ronald Gordon wasnt a Hibs fan, he probably is now?  Fergus McCann wasnt particularly a Celtic fan, he probably is now? 

McCann is a great example of someone who actually acted like a custodian, and despite the criticism he received at the time (even booed by the Celtic fans), he was proved right.

I am not saying that Gordon is a shyster, and he may be good for the game, but despite what has happened at many clubs, scrutiny of new owners always seems  very light.

Remember even Mad Vlad had a honeymoon at Hearts until he sacked Burley. 

The team that the owners support has no bearing I think given that clubs have been wrecked in the past a self styled lifetime supporters.

52 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

I am not saying that Gordon is a shyster, and he may be good for the game, but despite what has happened at many clubs, scrutiny of new owners always seems  very light.

Yeah, but no one wants to be the negative or spectical voice when something so spankingly fantastic happens to their team. 

When has an investor come in and purchased a Scottish team and it's been a long term success?  Only one I can think off is MacGregor at Ross County.

Dundee and Livi on numerous occasions, Hearts, Rangers have all been left up the creek due to following supposed millions......

44 minutes ago, lambo1885 said:

When has an investor come in and purchased a Scottish team and it's been a long term success?  Only one I can think off is MacGregor at Ross County.

Dundee and Livi on numerous occasions, Hearts, Rangers have all been left up the creek due to following supposed millions......

I agree that there hasnt been, although Hearts and Livi and Dundee were purchased when there was slightly more money in Scottish football, and teams overspent chasing European dreams. 

Archived