"Righting the Wrong"

Vinnie

Hearts owner Ann Budge says she has been left "angry" by the SPFL vote result that threatens to relegate them from the Scottish Premiership.

But Budge has vowed to "right the wrong" of Wednesday's call to end the lower league season which relegated Partick Thistle and Stranraer.

Dundee's yes vote pushed the proposal over the line, with the Premiership set to follow if games cannot be played.

"The whole process has been incredibly badly handled," said Budge.

The ballot hinged on Dundee who initially voted no on Friday, only to then ask for more time to consider their stance.

A total of 81% of Scotland's 42 senior clubs have backed the resolution, which means end-of-season payments can be made to the lower-league sides by the end of this week.

The BBC report that Ann Budge will right the wrong of relegating Partick and Stranraer, so I guess its safe to say that Partick will remain in the second tier of Scottish football, however that might look.  

I'd also guess that Stranraer would still remain in a third tier, so that they dont have relegation on their record.  

We can assume that Dundee can expect a place in the restructured Premier League, we can also assume that Hearts and Hamilton will protect themselves from relegation, so that league will be 16 or 18 team top league.  

How do you right Hearts and Hamilton protecting their own interests in a restructure?  There can be no sporting integrity here.  To right the wrong, someone must fall on their sword?  I dont see Budge doing that? 

I'd put my money on no relegation and two promotions per league, so we end up with a 14-10-10-10 set up for next season at least. Depending on how that pans out, we'll either stick with it or revert to the present set up, with a series of relegations. That would require two seasons in total, hopefully, as it would be unacceptable to have one set of rules at the start of the season and another at the end.

To some degree, this has happened this season, but the circumstances are quite unique. 

As I see it, the only way to come close to fixing this mess would be to keep the league set up, and possibly have a play off between Hearts and Hamilton.  Winner stays up.

Budge is stuck here.  She can restructure the league, and fan opinion is split on how best to do that.  Or she can do the right thing and Hearts would be relegated but she'll turn her own clubs fans against her. 

I wonder if they are looking at the very real possibility that next season is likely to be shortened also one way or the other - even if they do give up on 2019 -2020. 

I have not followed the details closely, but in a time when football is really put into perspective, the sheer pettiness on show is as saddening as it is predictable.

Guest The Beer Baron

Our game will never move forward when the majority of the clubs still think it's acceptable to only think about themselves. Pathetic stuff, as always. 

On 22/04/2020 at 10:50, The Beer Baron said:

Our game will never move forward when the majority of the clubs still think it's acceptable to only think about themselves. Pathetic stuff, as always. 

I don't want to politicise this but it's the legacy Margaret Thatcher's government left us. Man mind thyself.

You have to wonder why the Chairs of the Premiership's bottom clubs were put in charge of the reconstruction review.

Guest The Beer Baron

I disagree. There are countless examples of self greed throughout our history before Maggie was even born. It's a sad part of our society and in times like this it will always rear its ugly head. 

Quarantine has gone to GG's head!!  I know Maggie is hated in these parts, but she cant be blamed for all of lifes wrongs.

Ive said it many of times before.  Football fans are their own worst enemy, too many are too loyal to their clubs, too many b**ch about being robbed blind, and the only way to change that is to walk away, but you wont.  

Archived