Are we all inherently racist?

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

Are you trying to catch me out, Vinnie? Of course racism can include forms other than skin colour. I was trying to keep it simple and gave the most prevalent - skin colour - as an example. It is possible to be racist towards people of different nationalities, which is sometimes exacerbated if they also practise a different religion.

So, I'll revise my earlier definition. Racism is the manifestation of hatred towards other human beings, based on prejudices formed based on hearsay,  rather than first hand experience.

Not trying to catch you out at all.  I wouldnt say its ignorance, but many folk probably couldnt define racism or racist behaviour. Stereotypes are a form of racism, yet stereotypes are often used in self-deprecation. So where is the line? 

And the trouble is that it varies from person to person and relationship to relationship. 

On 18/06/2020 at 17:46, Vinnie said:

So you base race on skin tone?  Therefore, racism between English and Scottish cannot exist?  Or between the British and French or Germans? 

They are all nationalities rather than races are they not? 

Prejudice can exist based on anything nationality included. Seems GG was specifically trying to discuss the race issue.

10 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Not trying to catch you out at all.  I wouldnt say its ignorance, but many folk probably couldnt define racism or racist behaviour. Stereotypes are a form of racism, yet stereotypes are often used in self-deprecation. So where is the line? 

And the trouble is that it varies from person to person and relationship to relationship. 

It's ironic that you used the word ignorance in your last post, Vinnie, for racism often stems from our ignorance of other cultures, which may produce an instinctive fear within us. This fear can be exacerbated by stories circulating about these people, many of which can be exaggerated or even completely false. e.g. during the slave trade, it was commonly believed that black people weren't really human, but more closely related to animals - a view endorsed by the church at the time. It's a view which still exists today, in the minds of the sickest in our society, like the ones that direct monkey noises towards black players at football matches. 

On 20/06/2020 at 03:37, Fifes Elite said:

Just re-read my post and it said superficially which completely changes the whole point I was making(dam auto prediction). Now amended.

Cheers, mate. I did wonder about that but decided not to rise to the apparent provocation. 🙂

The whole issue of racism has always appalled and fascinated me at the same time. A part of me thinks that it's instinctive to feel wary or even afraid of people who look markedly different to ourselves, while another argues that very young children of different races will play quite happily together and that racism is learned from older friends and relatives, as they grow up.

Perhaps there's an element of both? If so, I'd suggest that the learned behaviour is more significant. We can conquer any instinctive fears by interacting with people from different ethnic backgrounds.

23 hours ago, GG Riva said:

The whole issue of racism has always appalled and fascinated me at the same time. A part of me thinks that it's instinctive to feel wary or even afraid of people who look markedly different to ourselves, while another argues that very young children of different races will play quite happily together and that racism is learned from older friends and relatives, as they grow up.

Perhaps there's an element of both? If so, I'd suggest that the learned behaviour is more significant. We can conquer any instinctive fears by interacting with people from different ethnic backgrounds.

The issue of racism confuses me as much as it fascinates and apalls me.  It confuses me in that a conversation with one person can be friendly and respectful, while a similar conversation with another can be considered offensive.  

Whilst I think that the worst examples of racist behaviour are learned, there is still something in all of us that is fearful of anything different.  Perhaps not the best analogy, but being scared of spider or a wasp, when theyre minding their own business.  Just as some folk love snakes, but may not like cats or dogs.  Maybe its simply subconscious until you fell a degree of threat.  

Archived