14-14-14

Fifes Elite

Think it's been mooted by Doncaster that we should have 3 leagues of 14 in Scotland, all of them having a 6/8 split.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/14-team-premiership-could-be-brought-in-for-2016-17-1-3970519

I really don't get the appeal of the split tbh. It was copied from Switzerland (who ditched it the same year Scotland adopted it because they deemed it a failure).  

I reckon any kind of split is a stupid idea. Why does nobody else do it? Because it's a pish idea. Going by Doncaster's previous ideas, we'll end up with 13 teams split up into 3 leagues after 13 games. Oh and always make sure the sevco are in the top split all the time. 

League splits thought up by split arses.

3 Leagues of 16. Get Spartans and the like in the 3rd tier to make up the remaining teams. Getting money to these 'small' teams and see how they do. Would be much more exciting in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go for 20-22. 4 up and down with a fifth play off space to be contested between 5&6 bottom/top of the SPL and Championship. That should keep plenty interest going. Yes there will be meaningless games but what set up does not have them. Maybe even start the season in July to be more attractive to getting a TV contract. One game at home against the each team appeals to me more than all other options.

Controversially I'd also like to see a split of home gates with away teams say 80/20. This could compensate a bit for loss of old firm matches at home but more importantly it would spread the wealth a bit more through the game leading to better investment in players, more competition and therefore competitive matches which can only improve our teams chances in Europe.

Meaningless mid-table matches for me is a great opportunity to blood your youngsters to see if they are going to make it in a competitive environment so do not actually think there are any meaningless games.

Archived