McCrae's Battalion Trust 2024 Pilgrimage

Stanza

Would any Pars fan be willing to travel to France with McCrae's Battalion Trust (MBT) and represent Dunfermline Athletic at the twentieth anniversary of the commemoration cairn in Contalmaison?

McCrae's Battalion (16th Royal Scots) was "Scotland's Sporting Battalion" in WW1, containing footballers from several clubs (notably Hearts but also Dunfermline, Hibs, Raith Rovers, Falkirk, East Fife and St Bernard's), as well as athletes from many other sports.

The Battle of the Somme began on 1 July 1916 (the darkest day in British Army history, with 20,000 deaths) and amid the slaughter some men from McCrae's Battalion reached the village of Contalmaison, the deepest advance into enemy-held territory.

In 2004 a memorial cairn was erected in Contalmaison and on 1 July every year a service is held there, with the villagers welcoming pilgrims to remember the sacrifices on both sides. For the last few years a wreath has been laid there by a supporter of Dunfermline Athletic, and McCrae's Battalion Trust would very much like this tradition to continue.

The MBT bus leaves Edinburgh on 29 June, returning 4 July - the itinerary for this year's pilgrimage is below. Places fill up rapidly, so if you want to go please contact Jack Alexander ASAP on 07876 106509 or jack@mccraesbattaliontrust.org.uk 

Jack can provide prices and available variations if you choose to share hotel or ferry accommodation.

I have been to Contalmaison a few times, and from personal experience the whole MBT trip is hugely enjoyable, deeply moving, always interesting and highly recommended. Send me a DM if you want more information about what is involved.

MBT 2024 Circulation ITINERARY.pdf

Edited by Stanza
  • Upvote 5

I can completely endorse what Stanza says.

This is a tremendous trip for anyone interested in World War One and especially anyone with an interest in the history of Dunfermline Athletic. This year they plan to visit the Thiepval Memorial and there are the names of Davie Izatt and Jimmy Morton of Dunfermline Athletic who were killed together on 1 July 1916. If you have a moment on Saturday, you can see Jimmy Morton`s war medal, death scroll and photograph in uniform in one of the display cases outside the Shop. They were bought by the Heritage Trust last year when offered on eBay.

I have been three times and enjoyed each and every trip. Especially notable is the friendship of the people of Contalmaison, who put on a private hog roast lunch for McCrae`s each year. It is also very good value. I think I paid around £600 this year.

• Upvote 1

For anyone interested in going I now  have a complete list of prices, which range from £545 to £645 depending on the type of ferry cabin and hotel room, and how many people are sharing - superb value for the quality of the tour and the expertise of the MBT guides. Single cabins/rooms are also available - but at a premium.

• Upvote 1