Hillsborough Documentary

SusieQ

Even knowing the events inside out from watching tributes / films / documentaries etc over the last 27 years, the documentary on BBC2 is incredibly hard to watch.

If anyone still in any way thinks those fans were to blame in any way that day, watch the first hour and if you can watch without a lump in throat or tears then you are very hard hearted indeed.

Absolutely horrendous and utterly heartbreaking what those poor families and survivors had to go through for 27 years to get justice for their loved ones.

Disgrace does not cover it.

Really hope after getting "the truth", and the justice (at last) there is finally accountability too and Duckenfield etc is made to pay.

Feel sorry for the coppers on the ground too - they are as distraught and traumatised as anyone caught up in that awful day.

Heartbreaking stuff watching that but it was really considerate in how it was put together.

It'll bring some form of closure for some but it'll never replace the fans who died.

It's an absolute scandal that the authorities did what they did. Pathetic.

Anyone who thinks the fans were to blame is an absolute cretin who deserves to be utterly ignored. There's plenty of evidence to show that they are not to blame, including, shown in the documentary, counts taken from the turnstile and CCTV footage.

There needs to be criminal proceedings brought against all those involved in the lying and cover up. Everyone involved at every level must be prosecuted to send out a message that such actions are absolutely unacceptable and can never be allowed to happen again. The incident resulted in the deaths of 96 people but has had dreadful effects on hundreds more such as the families and friends of the victims as well as well as the innocent among the police who tried to help and had their statements changed.

The whole thing is an absolutely shameful affair orchestrated by heartless and corrupt scum and supported by the government and their pet media.

Scousers were seen as troublemakers in the 80's and after Heysel, Liverpool fans especially plus other bouts of football hooliganism in England.  There had been the miners' strike, riots in Toxteth as well as other places, and one of the staunchest Labour areas in the country had Derek Hatton etc so it is not surprising that the authorities looked down so much on them.

Absolutely disgraceful way to treat fellow human beings and people who only went, on a bright sunny day to watch their team play in a football match.

The worst things for me were that the police officers on the ground had no idea their statements had been altered.  The fact that came out in 2012 that at least 41 fans who died could have been saved with immediate, correct medical attention, and that the Taylor Report not long after the disaster said essentially what the jury in Warrington did and THAT is the worst aspect of the whole sorry saga.  There was no need to put the families through the cruelty of 27 years of fighting to clear the loved one's names.  To have 27 years of survivors being blamed for killing their fellow fans is horrendous.

A disgrace that many relatives of the 96 have died before finding out what we know today.  The likes of John Glover who lost 1 son at Hillsborough and lost his other son, who was wracked with survivor guilt after losing his brother, to a workplace accident in which he saved a colleague's life by pushing him out of the way of a heavy concrete block falling on him,  Anne Williams who campaigned tirelessly for her son Kevin and was thwarted at every turn including in the European Court of Human Rights because her claim was "too late".  The "97th victim" who sold his mate a ticket for the semi final and was so traumatised that his pal died that he commited suicide.

A disgrace that any of them had to wait so long - horrendous for the likes of Trevor and Jenni Hicks who went to the game with their 2 daughters, came home without either of their girls and ended up divorced.  A tight family unit utterly destroyed by something they loved doing together as a foursome.

The stories of pain and suffering go on and on and on and it's is an utter disgrace that even during the Warrington inquests, the police and authorities were STILL trying to blame the fans despite the HIP report making it clear exactly who was to blame, and indeed them apologising publically for it.

The whole thing was needless and the whole thing is utterly utterly despicable.

I really hope we never ever see anything like it ever again - as one survivor said after the verdicts - they were the only set of disaster victims who were blamed for what happened to them.

Heartbreaking from start to finish.

For the tragedy to happen in the first place is horrific. What happened afterwards, from the way the families were treated that night right through to the manipulation and deceit at every level in the weeks, months and years afterwards is unforgivable. I can't imagine how much anger those who experienced that must be feeling. What saddens me is that only now as a society do I think everyone truly understands what was behind that anger and exactly what it was they wanted all those years. I think that only now has it been fully and properly accepted that this is an ugly scandal and a shameful episode in our countries history, only now are we talking about things as they truly were. I have the utmost admiration for those that fought for the truth and never gave up. 

Think the whole squad tried to attend as many funerals as they could? 

I watched the first hour or so last night.  It was interesting to hear what the police on duty had to say that day.  Once the lie started and was published in the papers, why didn't some of these guys speak out?  Why have we had to wait 27 years for their truths to be told.

What about the politicians, especially that one who spoke in the days following the tragedy. Im sure thatcher made a speech in parliament slagging the fans.

Thats because of the advice of Duckinfield.  Many commentators on events were given second hand information after Duckinfield had started to cover his backside.

The frontline cops on duty who helped the injured and tried to save the dead, they shouldve spoken out.  They knew the truth but didnt dispel the myths. 

Think Kenny and his wife went to every funeral and members of their squad at the time went to various ones as well. 

John Aldridge is still fairly traumatised by it if you ever hear him speaking about it.

I'm not sure why the coppers on duty never spoke out - going from that documentary tho,they didn't know their statements were altered, although the lady special constable who tried to help Kevin Williams had someone at her house telling her to change bits of her report and only did so under duress and "to get rid of her". 

I'm guessing it's not the done thing to go against senior officers but I don't think any blame should go to the guys on the ground on the day.  They did their best with little or no direction from superiors.

I'm guessing it's not the done thing to go against senior officers

Sorry Susie, I don't buy that at all.  Basic rights and wrongs and truths and lies of the whole reporting in the press should have been corrected.  I imagine that your street bobbie in the ground that day was unaware of the changing of statements, but they would be fully aware that Duckinfield ordered the gate open, and could put two and two together to work out that senior officials were leaking lies to the press to cover their own backsides.

I'm guessing it's not the done thing to go against senior officers

Sorry Susie, I don't buy that at all.  Basic rights and wrongs and truths and lies of the whole reporting in the press should have been corrected.  I imagine that your street bobbie in the ground that day was unaware of the changing of statements, but they would be fully aware that Duckinfield ordered the gate open, and could put two and two together to work out that senior officials were leaking lies to the press to cover their own backsides.

I totally agree Vinnie - I have absolutely no idea why they wouldn't speak out.  None whatsoever.  I don't understand why the evidence was locked away either tho and needed fans shouting "Justice" at a politician 20 years later to finally get the info released.  I have no idea how policing works in that respect.

I can only assume that has something to do with it too maybe as the ones speaking on documentaries etc seem as traumatised as anyone.  I am fairly sure, however that the families don't have issues per sey with the bobbies on the ground - just the heirarchy.  The dispicable behaviour continued even into these inquests as they still peddlied the "it was the fans" mantra even after the HIP report and them seemingly apologising for their actions after the Report was published.

The whole thing is an utter, utter disgrace, no matter how you look at it.

Archived