The Battle of Fife, Round 4 (vs Raith Rovers)

ExxyJj

Saturday's visitors are our unwashed neighbours from the East, those denizens of Kirkcaldy, where yer sister is yer mother, and yer dug is yer da. Each side has won, drawn, and lost against the other, so season bragging rights are up for grabs here, as well as points that will be seen as vital for both teams.

Form

After their thunderous start to the campaign, Raith have been embarrassingly awful. Really very bad. So bad that they deserve to be relegated - although I hope they don't. Looking over their league results makes for pitiful reading, with just two wins from twenty matches. Or two in five, depending on how you want to frame it. Still, it's odd to think that after 11 matches, they were keeping up with Hibernian and Dundee United, ahead of Morton, Falkirk and QoS, and sixteen points off 10th. This season has not been kind for the the Rovers, and hopefully the trend continues this weekend. Frankly, anything other than a right doing from the Pars will be embarrassing, considering the form Raith haven't been in. 

Key players

It's slim pickings, so far as standout players for Raith goes.

Jean-Yves M'Voto had a reasonably decent match the last time the sides met at Stark's Park, though the defender did spend the last 15-20 minutes or so hobbling about with an injury after all Raith's substitutions had been used. The guy is huge. Not Nat huge, but pretty huge. Luckily, we're no longer playing long balls from the back, so his effectiveness will likely be slightly diminished.

Ryan Hardie, as I see it, is the only credible threat Raith have. His first match, against us in January was dismal. Since then however, he's put in some decent performances, scoring the winning goals in those two aforementioned Raith victories. He's a player, and one that should not be taken for granted, regardless of how sh*te Raith are.

The Pars

Our own form has been mediocre, with too many unnecessary draws to mention. Mid-table is where we deserve to be, though it's a precarious position to be in, sitting just 6 points ahead of St Mirren in 10th. Though we do have a mighty fine goal difference, which counts for an extra point for sure! Team-wise, I don't think we'd expect any surprises on Saturday, with AJ doing what AJ does. John Herron is suspended though, so Rhys McCabe will likely fill that spot. McCabe is such a pain in the backside, because I think he has the potential to be far better than he has been. Still, Saturday could be his chance to shine, and with Herron attracting interest from "multiple clubs", this could be the start of a McCabe-Wedderburn partnership that would lead us into next season. 

A win for the Pars takes us further away from the bottom two places. A draw, too, moves us in the right direction, but isn't what we need right now. A loss, unthinkable (even though I'm thinking about it now...), could potentially see us three points off the bottom, if results go against us. It's a big match, and one that I'm most definitely looking forward to.

COYP

Raith will be well motivated for this one, It will be tight and in truth they have more to play for than us! Adding to the fact that our recent form has hardly been sparkling either. I think the first goal will be all important but we carry more fire power so I hopefully we can sneak the 3pts

with Herron attracting interest from "multiple clubs", this could be the start of a McCabe-Wedderburn partnership that would lead us into next season. 

Possibly Geggan, with RW at RB? Although is Geggs injured, I can't remember? 

It's been so long since Geggan played in midfield, I'd forgotten that that is his traditional position :$ We probably won't find that out until Thursday, but if everyone else is available it at least gives AJ plenty of options.

Archived