Holidays to mainland Spain / Balearics / Canaries

Anyone recommend any good resorts? Looking for something reasonably priced later in the summer.

We've been to Majorca a lot of the years and a few places there as it's a decent flight length and transfers/taxis are quite short - Cala D'or, Palma Nova, Cala Ratjada, Calas De Mallorca (Magaluf back in the day as well) etc and really love the island. I have been looking at Cala Bona and Cala Millor, they both look pretty good as well?

I have seen a brilliant deal for Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria to the Marina Bayview hotel overlooking the marina and it looks amazing....however the actual resort looks a bit dated and tacky with not much going for it? Anyone been that can shed any light or recommend any other good resorts that are lively enough (without being Magaluf/Benidorm etc) but are also not full of stereotypical British restaurants/boozers.

A decent hotel, a nice beach and a nice town to go for a wander with a plenty eateries and bars to chill out in is what we are after. Not fussed for excursions etc, just a decent chilled holiday in a nice area. Cala D'or was ideal as it had plenty of bars and restaurants overlooking the marina and it was nice and relaxed, but want to try somewhere new.

We have been to Turkey as well and really enjoyed it, but think this is off the cards at the moment - no danger will the missus even entertain that with the recent terror threats etc.

Have been scouring Trip Advisor looking at various resorts but it would be intersting to get some feedback from folks on here and experiences/places they've been.

Heading out to Mijas on the Costa Del Sol in a few weeks as well, so will check the surrounding areas out while I'm there but not really fussed for the Towie resorts of Marbella/Puerto Banus etc, full of posing bellends.

We were planning on Mexico but we can't justify the cost of £3000-4000 this year as we have far too much on.

Im going to Santa Ponsa in Majorca.  Never been, but only heard good reports, and close enough for a trip to Magaluf for an evening of "Spot the Twats"

Been to Palma Nova, a couple of years ago now, and would have absolutely no issues with going back.  Decent array of beachside restaurants, nice big clean beach, decent range of pubs, and its walking distance to Magaluf, or about 6 euros in a cab.

I've been to Palma Nova and Magaluf, have no intentions of returning to Magaluf unless for a stag weekend or such like. Palma Nova is nice, but still a bit too close for my liking....

I've heard good things about Santa Ponsa as well, will have another look. I seem to be honing in Cala Bona / Cala Millor - two resorts right next to each other with a nice beach and plenty restaurants and bars. Can get 10 nights B&B in a decent hotel for about £1300-1600 all in which isn't too bad.

Puerto Rico is a nice wee resort, very cheap, with a couple of great beaches, if that's your thing. It has it's own micro-climate as it is surrounded on all sides by hills so the weather is pretty much gauranteed. The resort itsef is based on the usual Canarian way of doing things where the restaurants, bars and clubs are part of shopping centres. There are two. One at the top of the hill, and one at the bottom. It's your typical resort, but if that is the sort of things you don;t want, then I;d suggest going a few miles round the coast to Puerto Mogan. They call it Little Venice, because, well, it looks a bit like venice as it has canals running through it. Much quieter but still close to Puerto Rico if you want to go there for a more lively night out.

Have you thought about Ibiza? Don't get the wrong end of the stick and think it's Magaluf. It isn't. There one street in San Antonio that is your typical 'strip' with the types of bars you'd expect to find in most resorts. The rest of the resort isn;t really like that though. San Antonio Bay is basically across the bay, and it's a bit quieter but still with lots on, and you're only a water taxi, or 30 min walk away from the town if you want a bit more action. Playa D'en Bossa is a bit more sophisticated and has decent night life and lots of great wee boutique hotels. Up the top end you have the more family oriented resorts like Portinatx, but they are a wee bit more expensive. I love Ibiza, the Island has it's own 'vibe' for want of a better word. It's like the hippies who lived here (and still do) in the 60's and 70's were attracted to it, because it does have that sort of chilled out feel. There's lots of amazing beaches, some of which have great beach clubs with cabana's and day beds, with a DJ playing chilled out music. It's not how most people perceive it at all.

I did think about Ibiza, but having never been it put me off as wasn't too sure on suitable areas. San Antonio Bay does look quite appealing though, can get Jet2 package B&B for 11 nights to Bellamar Hotel (which has superb reviews on TA) for £1400ish. Always heard Ibiza was a bit of a rip off price wise for drinks etc? Although this may just be the main areas in San Antonio at Cafe Mambo and the likes?

I did think about Ibiza, but having never been it put me off as wasn't too sure on suitable areas. San Antonio Bay does look quite appealing though, can get Jet2 package B&B for 11 nights to Bellamar Hotel (which has superb reviews on TA) for £1400ish. Always heard Ibiza was a bit of a rip off price wise for drinks etc? Although this may just be the main areas in San Antonio at Cafe Mambo and the likes?

Down at 'Sunset Strip' as they call it where Cafe Mambo and Cafe Del Mar are, it is a rip off. I paid €12 for a Corona and a bottle of Water in Cafe Del Mar! However, you have to go at least once. The sunset with the accompanying music has to be experienced. Everywhere else, is reasonable prices.

A decent AI hotel we stayed in an San Antonio Bay is Rosamar. You'll find it on most sites, but check a few as the prices can vary. The AI in there is very good. Normally resort hotels like these the food is ropey at best, and I like decent food, but I really couldn't fault it. Everything was restaurant qaulity. There are a few good boutique hotels round the Bay as well for around similar prices. They also do a free shuttle every day back and forward to Cala Bassa beach, which is great. This is one of the beaches with a beach club that I mentioned above.

Prices really depend on where you drink. There is lots of really, really nice places. They aren't always that cheap. However, there are also lots of 'normal' type bars and restaurants that you'd find in your bog standard resort too.

Heading off to Fuengirola in a few weeks as well. Big fan of the Costa del Sol which has something for every one. It has some brilliant restaurants. Also visit the Canaries a lot too. Las Americas and Los Cristiano's  in Tenerife has is nice and is great for kids albeit I would stay on the fringe and dip in if I want too.. Siam Park easily the best water park in Europe I personally like Gold del Sur which is quieter

We spend all June every year touring Spain in our camper.

We normally have 6-7 days on the costa azahar in Benicassim. It has a real Spain feel to it and the town has many good bars and restaurants.

Off again in 2 weeks

Puerto Mogan is a beautiful place to visit especially by boat. There was a great Greek Restaurant down by the beach in Puerto Rico when I was there. Hopefully still is and worth a visit. Most other places were Argentinian Steak Houses, but decent enough. Enjoy the steep hills back to the hotel though ? 

Archived