Strachan

Vinnie

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is an article in the Telegraph with those texts.  Its interesting that they obtained the information from the Daily Mail (everyones favourite rag), use the word "alleged" in one sentence, and then the words "here is the damning evidence" in the next line.

I don't particularly want to defend the guy, but the article contradicts itself. 

If these were the actions of a young man, I would be inclined to say that reform was possible and a second chance deserved. 

These were the actions of a middle aged man in a position of responsibility.

At worst he is a despicable racist ahole, at best a complete fXxking bellend with a questionable level of intelligence.

That was a pretty cast iron bet.  Who else would you choose?  Would we prefer a rushed decision for a permanent manager?

I'd prefer they didn't try to get MacKay in through the back door. It's not like he was the only option for interim. Scot Gemmil could have been given the role until a permanent appointment was made.

Sigh. It's going to be him permanently

That was a pretty cast iron bet.  Who else would you choose?  Would we prefer a rushed decision for a permanent manager?

True, but it's not his job. His job is Performance Director. Why couldn't Calum Davidson or one of the younger level coaches take charge?

Incidentally it would appear that the SFA have very much rushed the decision for a permanent manager, despite the fact that they won't announce he will take the job full time for a while yet. They'll bluster some ****e about loads of good candidates etc, but it seems to me that they've already made up their mind. A very damaging decision if it transpires. 

If you look at England last year (or was it the year before), the then U-21s coach took over from Allardyce on an interim basis, and eventually got the gig full time by not screwing up, but England didn't play a "big name" opponent. 

MacKay is facing Holland, so in ordinary circumstances, its not as if you would expect a big result in his favour, and for him to demonstrate he's the man.  Unfortunately, Holland are on a downward spiral - a draw or a win are possible, and that will only inflate his worth.

For what its worth, I think an aulder head with the ability to coach a coach should be offered a chance?  A development coach to be able to step up to the Full Team in a few years.  There needs to be a continuity.

If you look at England last year (or was it the year before), the then U-21s coach took over from Allardyce on an interim basis, and eventually got the gig full time by not screwing up, but England didn't play a "big name" opponent. 

MacKay is facing Holland, so in ordinary circumstances, its not as if you would expect a big result in his favour, and for him to demonstrate he's the man.  Unfortunately, Holland are on a downward spiral - a draw or a win are possible, and that will only inflate his worth.

For what its worth, I think an aulder head with the ability to coach a coach should be offered a chance?  A development coach to be able to step up to the Full Team in a few years.  There needs to be a continuity.

Good point. There's no plan with Scotland. We just stumble from one manager to the next. There needs to be a clear aim of what they are doing and a clear pathway for coaches and managers.

Good point. There's no plan with Scotland. We just stumble from one manager to the next. There needs to be a clear aim of what they are doing and a clear pathway for coaches and managers.

Alternatively, Id like to see an aulder figure as a head coach, bringing in the most promising U-20's coaches from clubs on a rotating basis for each get together.  Give the coaches additional experience, and let them use that experience to better themselves, their youngsters, and better their clubs.  The SFA should be far more inclusive of all our clubs, perhaps this might be one way to do it?  If one of these coaches is able to step up to full management in the future, then that's a success in my eyes.  The whole ethos shouldn't just be to qualify for tournaments, it should be the betterment of our game, our league, our teams, our players as a whole.  And once that starts to happen, hopefully results on the park come with it.

If these were the actions of a young man, I would be inclined to say that reform was possible and a second chance deserved. 

These were the actions of a middle aged man in a position of responsibility.

At worst he is a despicable racist ahole, at best a complete fXxking bellend with a questionable level of intelligence.

A despicable racist, anti-semitic, homophobic, misogynistic ahole.

FTFY.

Appalling decision. What sort of message does this send? **** Scotland.

I know that the Netherlands didn't qualify for their second successive tournament but I wouldn't say they are on a downward spiral. Their Euro 2016 qualification campaign was a low point for them I think, and while they didn't finish 2nd in a competitive group they only did so due to Sweden tanking Luxemboug - who had been very tight at the back and held France, one of the free scoring favourites for next year to a 1-1 draw - 8-0. They have won plenty of games and find themselves 12th in Europe, A good enough ranking to be in League A of the Nations League while we are down in League C.

Archived