Footballing Pet Hates

Vinnie

-          Players acting like wee coward ****s when they crowd the referee and scream in his face. He should instantly book every single one of them for each offence. Same if they run up to a linesman. The referee isn’t going to change his mind just because you scream at him. I also suspect that a good number of players, and managers, don’t actually know the rules properly.

-          Following on from that, the two footed/out of control challenges you see nearly every week at least one or two games. You often hear players and managers trying to defend it, but they should know it will be an automatic red card. That rule has been in place for years now yet you still players do it then claim in interviews that they ‘won the ball’ or some ****e. Clowns.

-          Diving of course. It should be a straight red card every single time resulting in a two game ban. If there is any doubt, go with a red, until it’s stamped out. Same with playacting and faking injury. Also if anyone demands a card for an opposition player, they should be given a card themselves.

-          Players who jump around like a **** claiming for a foul WHILST PLAY IS STILL GOING ON! If I was a manager and one of my players did this, I’d sub him immediately.

-          Players who grab shirts and/or have their hands/arms around opposition players during corners.

-          When players get fouled and don’t get the free kick then spring up and go clattering in to an opponent. ****ing clown behaviour that often results in them being sent off. Aye, that sure showed the ref. You can see when it’s going to happen and it’s just stupid stuff.

-          When defenders just punt the ball up the pitch. I mean when they aren’t under any pressure. Awful, awful football. If they can’t make passes, someone from midfield should be dropping short to take the ball from them. It’s even more stupid when it’s just an aimless punt to smaller strikers who are up against larger defenders. Even if they do win a flick on, it will just run harmlessly through to the keeper.

-          Goal music. Rubbish fad that all clubs just jumped on because football is one of the least creative industries around. That so many clubs use the same song just reinforces this.

-          Stadium announcers who try to ‘gee up’ the crowd before a match. **** off. It’s cringeworthy and never works. It’s even worse if they do it by trying to sing. Boak.

I agree with most of those CJM!! In fact, with all that going on, it makes me wonder why I still follow football?

Players constantly hitting first man from corners.

Define constantly?  Once a match?  Every corner? 

The fact that football players seem completely incapable of taking a throw in these days and that refs hardly ever seem to call it.

Sometimes wonder if I missed various changes in the laws.  What makes it worse for me is that kids aren't picked up on it, its not ingrained on them.  

The big one for me is that football managers aren't honest.  Wenger and Mourinho are the worst in my eyes.  We are all going to see the highlights, we will all see an incident from 20 angles, even though we don't need to, and we all know a dangerous tackle, or a punch, or a headbutt when we see one.  Just be honest enough to say, "It looked a bad one", or "I'll be having words", or just simply "Yes, the ref was right".  How refreshing would that be?

Defenders who "shield" the ball over the bye(goal) line. It's obstruction. Just whistle.

Commentators who say "he will play the ball to XXXXX", when it has already happened.

People on football forums who title a thread " XXXX signs" to make you open and read. Off with their bollocks.

The shielding thing is something else I cant understand.  Whats the difference between a defender doing that and an attacker doing the same? 

Incidently, can you be offside from an indirect free kick?  What infringements are punishable by an indirect free kick?

Pretty much every corner!

That's unacceptable!  You could accept the odd one, but if you have someone taking corners, they must practice in training, so youd expect they have a decent capability to deliver 9/10 times?

Exactly Vinnie, frustrates me.

Players flashing imaginary cards when they are fouled. You got the foul, get up and get on with it.

Commentators saying "He just about did enough to stop that/score/clear that..." Well it clearly wasn't 'just about enough', it either was or it wasn't enough in most cases. 

I don't have a problem with defenders shielding it out, IF the ball is at their feet. They are in control of it so can do what they want. If it's three feet+ away from their toe, that's a different matter and I agree.

Also agree on the two arms rounds your opponent at corners. Especially if you're not watching the ball either. That is quite clearly a foul. It also annoys me when commentators then come out with "...well if you give a penalty for that, then there would 10 penalties in a game..." And? If it's a foul, it's a foul regardless of how many previous offences have gone before it.

Professional players being excused of poor play because it "was on his wrong/weak foot". I'm sorry but I can play with two feet and I've coached kids who can too, so there's absolutely no reason why anyone who gets paid to play the game for a living should have a poor or weak foot.

Players flashing imaginary cards when they are fouled. You got the foul, get up and get on with it.

Commentators saying "He just about did enough to stop that/score/clear that..." Well it clearly wasn't 'just about enough', it either was or it wasn't enough in most cases. 

I don't have a problem with defenders shielding it out, IF the ball is at their feet. They are in control of it so can do what they want. If it's three feet+ away from their toe, that's a different matter and I agree.

Also agree on the two arms rounds your opponent at corners. Especially if you're not watching the ball either. That is quite clearly a foul. It also annoys me when commentators then come out with "...well if you give a penalty for that, then there would 10 penalties in a game..." And? If it's a foul, it's a foul regardless of how many previous offences have gone before it.

Professional players being excused of poor play because it "was on his wrong/weak foot". I'm sorry but I can play with two feet and I've coached kids who can too, so there's absolutely no reason why anyone who gets paid to play the game for a living should have a poor or weak foot.

Agree with all that, but especially the last sentence, there's no excuse for full time pros not to be at least competent on their "weaker" foot.

[rant] I'm sick of Sky raving on about the EPL being "the best league in the world". Now I don't watch enough of other leagues to form an opinion one way or the other but I don't care whether it's the best league or not, my team are playing in it and that's all that matters to me. [/rant]

Over zealous stewarding.

Poor refereeing standards in the professional game

Over zealous stewarding is a good one!  Suddenly, because you wear hi-vis, you're allowed to be a twat?  Naw.

I don't think refs have got poorer, I think that the laws have changed in the wrong ways, and that tv coverage these days is so intense that every single incident can be scrutinised.  For lower league clubs, the refs aren't going to be as good as those in the top leagues should be?  From a Pars perspective, we have been used to better in the top league until recent years. 

Archived