Another mass shooting

DougieDave

Aw, FFS! 

Come on, DD. Don't you know that people kill people, not guns. That pub is definitely at fault for not employing a group of armed bouncers to protect its customers from any deranged individual who might happen to be in the area. Banning guns is not the solution, as people who want a gun will just buy one illegally. There are thousands of law abiding American citizens who have guns and have never shot anybody, so there!

(I've prepared this statement for President Trumpet, so he won't have to strain his brain cell too much.)

The issue is, as has been the case in most other US mass shootings, that the gun was a semi-automatic.  I kind of understand the reasons why so many Americans feel the need to own guns (though I don't agree with them), what I don't see, is the need for semi automatic and automatic weapons. 

I'm of the opinion that because gun ownership is part of the fabric of living in the States, its going to be almost impossible to be gun free.  There needs to be some kind of control, whether that's restricting guns to one per person or household, banning sale of semi and fully automatic weapons, and related accessories, folk having to sit some sort of licence permit exam.  Small steps and slow progress is still progress, and while it might take years, surely anything that is safer is better?

20 minutes ago, The Beer Baron said:

It'll never change, let's be realistic.

Never say never.  I don't think itll change significantly any time soon, but I do think that the rate at which these shootings happen, at some point, enough folk will be impacted enough that they will want change.

13 minutes ago, The Beer Baron said:

Until it's not a massive, multi billion dollar business, it won't change. That won't happen anytime soon,if ever.

And I will repeat my last comment, at some point, enough folk will be impacted enough that they will want change.

When enough folk get it into their heads that they don't want to be around guns, they'll stop buying, and the multi-billion dollar business will have a lesser value, and then change becomes easier. 

I do recognise that may be both an overly optimistic view, as well as an overly simplistic view.

It can change. Loads of places have changed over time. Ours included, our island was awash with guns around 100 years ago. Infact our own bill of rights specifically said Protestants (This was changed to everyone after a while) should have the right to have them when it was inacted in a similar way as America(The Americans bill of rights was based on ours).  The main thing that changed was the 1920 firearms act(along with a few other laws it has to be mentioned). At the time the powers that be were scared of a working class uprising similar to Russia especially since guns were widespread.. It's around that time we got votes for working class men and had the tanks piling into George square when there was a protest for workers rights.

If it does change in the USA it will remain to he seen

Archived