HRH Prince Phillip

Teuchter

I saw on the front pages of the press today that auld Betty’s hubby overturned his motor. He walked away- although two mere peasants in another car were hospitalised apparently.

One journal mentioned something about speed restrictions were required on the stretch of road that he crashed on.

Speed restrictions?  Not wanting to be ageist or anything, but is the safety related elephant in the room here not related to 97 year olds - particularly those of the arrogant toff variety - haring about on country roads in massive Range Rovers?

I'm not one to defend the royal family, ever, but I read that he was pulling out of a driveway onto that road, so it's maybe unlikely he was travelling at excessive speed.

What seems more likely is that he pulled out and the other car collided with him - whether because they were going too fast or because he pulled out when he shouldn't have (or some other reason) is a matter for the police I guess.

Sadly, if he was at fault, there's less than no chance he would be punished in any way for it.

I'm just glad it wasn't worse - there was a baby in the back of the other car as well as the two adults.

The fact that hes a senile auld barsteward aside, Ive seen a number of reports suggesting highlighting a number of accidents on that road in the past few years.  The sad thing is, it takes a high profile incident for speed restrictions to be urgently considered, rather than just Joe Public, who no-one gives a flying fc-uk about. 

1 minute ago, SanguinePar said:

Sadly, if he was at fault, there's less than no chance he would be punished in any way for it.

Apparently hes accepted that he was blinded by the sun and didnt see the other car coming. 

Slightly off topic, but, I see on Facebook that folk are calling for a speed limit reduction on Standing Stane Road.  Unfortunately, I dont see that helping - too many idiots who get frustrated and want to blast past folk on the longish straightish sections.  Its not that road thats the issue, its the drivers you need to educate. 

The point about the speed restrictions seems to be valid, but still,  having a 97 year old, who is apparently not in the best health, driving on his wife’s highway doesn’t seem to be the wisest of ideas.

Are there any special restrictions for older people driving now?

I surprised at the ignorance exhibited by some otherwise erudite posters, who appear to be blissfully unaware that the  royals are above the law.

Nicholas Witchell's report was a masterclass in obsequiousness. You couldn't make this up.

'Speed has been a worry on this road for a while.'

And then: The baby.....The old clown nearly killed a baby! That's the baby that was left out of  reports, originally.
And then the fight back: D of E WAS injured, just didn't want to make anything of it.
Topped up with: He was momentarily blinded by the sun. (Genius, but 24 hours late, no mention before)
Nothing from the second car with the protection dudes who saw the whole thing. Why?
Because he wasn't involved in a collision. He was driving recklessly on the estate, probably way too fast, approached the give way, shat it (technical term), forgot that you brake and instead turned the steering wheel too abruptly, flipped the car which then appeared from the side road as a bouncing ball right in front of a car with a baby in it. That's my take. I think it's more credible than a car crash that turns over an (armoured, reinforced, probably) Freelander.
So the question isn't HOW DID HE WALK AWAY? but rather HOW DOES HE GET AWAY WITH IT? Oh, that's right, it was the Sun wot did it.......

At 97, he probably should not be driving. I had to stop ma dad driving in his late 80s as i could see his reactions were getting slow and that he was an accident waiting to happen. Luckily no one died in Philips case. Common sense would tell you that his driving days are over, even if it means losing a bit of independence.

5 hours ago, scottyboy said:

At 97, he probably should not be driving. I had to stop ma dad driving in his late 80s as i could see his reactions were getting slow and that he was an accident waiting to happen. Luckily no one died in Philips case. Common sense would tell you that his driving days are over, even if it means losing a bit of independence.

I think there is a case for coompulsory medical examinations as part of license approval above a certain age. Statistically the over 70s are less likely to be involved in accident (something I have only learned over the last 24 hours), but within that age group there can be, sadly, quick deterioration in faculties.

Similar to your experience, my old man was in his 70s when we noticed him getting erratic on the road. In his case, the medication that he was own for cancer was not helping. It was only when my sister (a nurse in the drug and alcohol field) tested him and found him to be, de facto, over the limit that he agreed, with no dispute, to stop driving.

It is difficult when independance is such an important thing for older people, but it is not only their own lives at risk if they are not fit to drive.

So he had a brand new armoured car delivered and was back behind the wheel yesterday. You'd think he'd have enough brain cells left to lie low for a while and if he doesn't his wife or another relative would have told him it wasn't on. What an arrogant old git!

It would also appear that no contact was made with the woman whose wrist was broken in the accident, despite a claim to the contrary by a statement issued on behalf of the royals..........

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

So he had a brand new armoured car delivered and was back behind the wheel yesterday. You'd think he'd have enough brain cells left to lie low for a while and if he doesn't his wife or another relative would have told him it wasn't on. What an arrogant old git!

It would also appear that no contact was made with the woman whose wrist was broken in the accident, despite a claim to the contrary by a statement issued on behalf of the royals..........

Absolutely unbelievable - arrogant auld twat 😠😠😠

Archived