Is English Football Best in World?

Vinnie

41 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

Riiiiiight...let's contact UEFA immediately and inform them that a league table is in fact completely unsuitable for deciding the relative quality of teams. Instead the new measure of quality is we let an aging Italian arbitrary select sides. You've completely lost it, mate. 

Guid wan. Rather than have any doubts cast on my sanity, I'll concede that Spurs were far superior to Inter in the group stage matches because they amassed more points, scored more and conceded less goals.

Oh, wait a minute..........☹

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

I'll concede that Spurs were far superior to Inter

Well, erm, I certainly haven't claimed Spurs were far superior so I've no idea what point you're attempting to make here?

Serious question, are you ok? You've been bumbling from one disaster to the next during this conversation. I'm genuinely concerned. 

Guest The Beer Baron

I'm with Keyser here. Inter only have themselves to blame that they didn't do enough to qualify, whilst Spurs did. Tough Italian ****.

Bottom line is that Inter failed to amass more points than Spurs.  Therefore deserving their elimination from the competition.  Their failure doesnt rest solely on one game, their failure rests on the mixed bag of performances over six matches.

46 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Bottom line is that Inter failed to amass more points than Spurs.  Therefore deserving their elimination from the competition.  Their failure doesnt rest solely on one game, their failure rests on the mixed bag of performances over six matches.

I wasn't for a minute suggesting that Inter deserved to go through, Vinnie. They were poor and still are having a mediocre season but Spurs weren't much better and scraped through by the flimsiest of margins, so it's hard to argue they were any better, unless your name is Keyser Soze. 

This whole "debate" stemmed from an initial post in which I suggested that Spurs were a tad fortunate to squeak through their group. I have read nothing which which would make me reappraise that view.

21 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

In your opinion what is the purpose of a league table if it's not for ranking the relative quality of the sides in relation to others? 

It is exactly how you describe it, Keyser. The key word there is "relative." While there is a chasm in quality between Man City and Huddersfield in the EPL, in the CL mini group tables, there wasn't the width of a sheet of paper in the relative quality of Inter and Spurs, as demonstrated by how difficult it was to separate them after 6 games each. All I was saying was that Inter should have been able to see off PSV in their final game, so in that sense, Spurs were fortunate that they didn't. Spurs were also fortunate in that Barca had already qualified before they played their final game at the Camp Nou and were able to rest the likes of Messi and Her Steggen, which undoubtedly contributed to Spurs getting the point which allowed them to qualify. Spurs didn't arrange the fixture list, but they did benefit from it, while Inter failed to make the most of their opportunity. Fine lines, eh? 

Surely, even you, who likes to stir up a good debate, can see that?

Guest The Beer Baron

My experience today just again confirms that German football is a class above British football in terms of match day experience.

Also, the quality is pretty high even when teams play **** at the top level. Leverkusen were rank rotten against a great counter attacking Bremen side, but would have still slapped around a great deal of "top" clubs in England I believe.

Archived