Is English Football Best in World?

Vinnie

The English probably think so. 

With both Manc clubs, Liverpool and Spurs all safely into the quarter-finals of the Champions League, does this demonstrate that them down the road have the best league?  Or, have English clubs had an easy ride to this stage?  

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it shows that they have more strength in depth across numerous clubs, unlike in Spain/France/Germany/Italy, where just 1 or 2 clubs are clearly ahead of the rest. I realise that Liverpool and City are out on their own a bit too, but in terms of quality I don' t think there's all that much between them and Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea (in that order).

It's also reflective of the decline of some of the superpowers of the European game - Liverpool were pretty rotten last night but they were more than enough for a very poor Bayern side. Madrid's loss to Ajax demonstrates a similar decline.

In terms of who is best in the world, I think if you had a competition where every country in the world put up its best 4 teams, You'd fancy England to have at least 2 or 3 clubs in the latter stages, even if there were still better individual teams out there.

2 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

I think it shows that they have more strength in depth across numerous clubs, unlike in Spain/France/Germany/Italy, where just 1 or 2 clubs are clearly ahead of the rest. I realise that Liverpool and City are out on their own a bit too, but in terms of quality I don' t think there's all that much between them and Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea (in that order).

It's also reflective of the decline of some of the superpowers of the European game - Liverpool were pretty rotten last night but they were more than enough for a very poor Bayern side. Madrid's loss to Ajax demonstrates a similar decline.

In terms of who is best in the world, I think if you had a competition where every country in the world put up its best 4 teams, You'd fancy England to have at least 2 or 3 clubs in the latter stages, even if there were still better individual teams out there.

This is probably the way I see it too.  Bayern have generally been dominant in the Bundesliga, PSG dominant in France.  And its heading that way in Spain and Italy now too for Barcelona.  Weve seen with Celtic that domestic dominance doesnt automatically translate to strong European performances. 

Ajax have had a tremendous run, reminding me a little of the Class of 92, the way youth has all come together and grown as a unit.  I wonder if their run to this stage has been a little easier than other teams, with the exception of Real, who I think are in the decline similar to United since Fergie. 

"David: It's looking like we'll have six English teams in European quarter finals. We're becoming a force again and it's great to see."

From the BBC site comments on the Arsenal game.

I remember saying to a mate, after England tanked out of the Euros, that the English would have a summer of earnest debate about the state of their game and then, would go back to congratulating themselves about being the best in the world when expensively assembled club sides progressed in Europe. And so it goes.

It could well be the best league in the world, but the English themselves have little to do with that on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze said:

Ajax Juve could be fun. 

It would be great to see Ajax going through but, after what happened to Real, there's no way Juve are going to take them too lightly. I think they'll be too cynical for the young Dutch side. 

Archived