McLeish to be sacked as Scotland Manager

Vinnie

1 minute ago, the saline hill puma said:

we have good players and we should be able to get a manager who can work with them.

We only have a couple of individuals playing at top clubs.  Unfortunately, not enough of them play regularly enough, or at a high enough level week in and week out....  Or they arent committed enough, such as Ryan Fraser refusing to play in Astana despite being fully fit.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

We only have a couple of individuals playing at top clubs.  Unfortunately, not enough of them play regularly enough, or at a high enough level week in and week out....  Or they arent committed enough, such as Ryan Fraser refusing to play in Astana despite being fully fit.

Its up to the manager to get the players committed and set the standards. Under Strachan, very few players called off, the players that did and were trying to take the **** (like Matt Richie) were told to **** off and he stopped picking them, it sent a clear message to the group. 

Don't buy the excuse about us not having good enough players.

Nations like Northern Ireland have qualified for major tournaments recently, with a standard of player similar to ours.

Difference is that these teams are well organised, with players who are engaged and motivated by playing for their country.

8 hours ago, Paradox said:

Don't buy the excuse about us not having good enough players.

Nations like Northern Ireland have qualified for major tournaments recently, with a standard of player similar to ours.

Difference is that these teams are well organised, with players who are engaged and motivated by playing for their country.

Unfortunately, I dont see many players motivated to play for Scotland.  Kieren Tierney pulled out of the recent double header, yet miraculously fit to play for his club.  Andy Robertson, missed the trip to Kazakhstan with a sore tooth.... A sore tooth!!  Ryan Fraser unwilling to play on the plastic pitch in Astana.  

There is also a young lad at Birmingham, 22 years old I think, Che Evans.  At 22, Id imagine he's unlikely to improve enough to play for England, but he qualifies for Scotland and turned us down.  

I keep saying this, but folk place too much belief in the notion that Scottish football is any good.  Folk look at Celtic's dominance domestically, but Celtic players cant seem to raise their game.  Compare Celtic to PSG.  Both teams killing their domestic leagues, Celtic and PSG perform poorly in Europe.  

Is the Scotland job prestigious anymore?  And who would folk take?  Neil Lennon, although hes likely to be the safe choice for Celtic?  Jurgen Klinsmann, probably too expensive ?  Terry Henry, expensive, but the stories from Monaco are concerning?  What about Sam Allardyce or David Moyes?  Steve McClaren is just out of a job? 

When the full details of Big Ecks departure emerge I am sure all on here will wish him all the best and hope he can make a recovery

Perhaps there is a connection after all with heading the ball as big Eck did more than many who played

There are many valid points on this thread and perhaps the SFA need to go and have a good look at themselves 

I would like to wish Alex all the best

Hope McLeish is ok.  Liked him as a player.  Liked him first time around as Scotland boss.

Reckon Gemmill or Mackay will be front ruñners for the job.  Maybe Davie Moyes or Strachan.

Looking at the bookies odds, not any realistic names to get the juices flowing.  Just shows how little prestige comes with the Scotland job now.  It's less attractive than an English Championship role now imo.

14 hours ago, 1950Par said:

When the full details of Big Ecks departure emerge I am sure all on here will wish him all the best and hope he can make a recovery

I went back and re-read the news report about McLeish "sacking".  The report is slightly conflicting, suggesting "mutual consent" but also that Eck accepted the decision in good grace.  Accepting the decision suggests to me that it was more the SFAs making, so not really mutual consent at all?

Nothing suggested health concerns - although I dont believe he looked particularly well during the trips to Kazakhstan and San Marino.

If there is an underlying health issue, I hope he gets the necessary treatment snd recovers. @1950Pars comment suugests a brain injury, however?  

I wonder though.... where are folk getting information that he is actually ill?

31 minutes ago, The Bad Guy said:

Apparently Slaven Bilic wants the job.  I would be happy with that.

The outstanding candidate by a distance IMO.  Did a great job with Croatia and was doing well at West Ham until the fiasco with the French lad. (Payet?)

4 hours ago, The Bad Guy said:

Apparently Slaven Bilic wants the job.  I would be happy with that.

Now that would be a sign of ambition from the SFA.  Would love to see that.

To be Devils Advocate for a second.... if we get Bilic, or anybody who might be universally accepted by Scotland fans, and we dont make improvements, will folk still blame the manager as they did for Strachan and McLeish, rather than the players not being good enough, or the grassroots and youth structure, or even the clubs? Will folk still hold this attitude of superiority compared to the likes of Cyprus and Macedonia or Norway and their like? 

13 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I went back and re-read the news report about McLeish "sacking".  The report is slightly conflicting, suggesting "mutual consent" but also that Eck accepted the decision in good grace.  Accepting the decision suggests to me that it was more the SFAs making, so not really mutual consent at all?

Nothing suggested health concerns - although I dont believe he looked particularly well during the trips to Kazakhstan and San Marino.

If there is an underlying health issue, I hope he gets the necessary treatment snd recovers. @1950Pars comment suugests a brain injury, however?  

I wonder though.... where are folk getting information that he is actually ill?

There have been rumours for a while,  when interviewed he sound like he struggles. Think everytime i have heard him he says the same things and doesn't coherent at all.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Bruce Arena is in the running.  An interesting suggestion, and perhaps unlikely to be supportive of either side of the Old Firm

The use of a photo of him beside knighthood chasing twat Beckham has put me off him. There is no denying that it would be something different if they appointed him however. Don't know many details about him beyond what is in the article.

Worryingly, I see that Malky Mackay is still in the running. 

28 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

Worryingly, I see that Malky Mackay is still in the running. 

Possibly as he would be the cheap option and he's in a role with them already... I know that these BBC hacks are really journalists, but the term "lazy journalism" springs to mind 

Archived