Better Together

Guest The Beer Baron

On 25 July 2019 at 11:30, Vinnie said:

I think that applies to the silent majority who make their case with reason and logic and thought.  The trouble is that those who are on the side of Nationalism are shouting louder and louder and gaining all the attention.  

The biggest of all ironies is that these folk abhor Trump, while following his MO, and they just dont get that they are walking contradictions. 

The British and English nationalists appear to quite like Trump. They are not only gaining  all of the attention, they are in power. They won the referendum down south.

In what way is Nicola Sturgeon following Trump's MO?

Now now @Teuchter, dont be misquoting me, youre better than that...

I didnt say Sturgeon, I said Nationalists, I just didnt clarify I meant Nationalist supporters rather than the Party.

There is an element of SNPs support that is shouting loud, these are voices folk hear.  I think that these folk often appear to follow the MO of Trumps supporters.  As I said, these folk probably dont realise they sound like Trump. 

They probably arent really helping their cause too much either, and Sturgeon should really try and rein them in a bit.

Ive a feeling that if Salmond was still in charge, you might be able to compare SNP to Trump though.

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Now now @Teuchter, dont be misquoting me, youre better than that...

I didnt say Sturgeon, I said Nationalists, I just didnt clarify I meant Nationalist supporters rather than the Party.

There is an element of SNPs support that is shouting loud, these are voices folk hear.  I think that these folk often appear to follow the MO of Trumps supporters.  As I said, these folk probably dont realise they sound like Trump. 

They probably arent really helping their cause too much either, and Sturgeon should really try and rein them in a bit.

Ive a feeling that if Salmond was still in charge, you might be able to compare SNP to Trump though.

I completely agree with you about the Wings Over Scotland fringe and some of the footsoldiers on social media - sadly it sometimes includes some high profile folk who seem otherwise to be sensible (usually actors and media types)

I thought that is what you meant , but thought it worth making the distinction, as there are those - including most SNP MSPs /MPs who are quite positive and level headed. 

I never used to be a fan of Sturgeon, but I think she has proved herself since she stepped up. I am not sure what Sturgeon can do to rein in the abuse merchants however. They are of no help to her so I am sure she is not secretly happy that exist. It is actually quite delicately balanced in Scotland at the moment. One thing that is certain to entrench some who could be persuaded is relentless abuse in place of persuasion.

You have a point about " team Scotland" Salmond. 

6 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

I never used to be a fan of Sturgeon, but I think she has proved herself since she stepped up. I am not sure what Sturgeon can do to rein in the abuse merchants however. 

They are of no help to her so I am sure she is not secretly happy that exist.

Im not completely convinced about Sturgeon, but she is certainly less of a one trick pony than Salmond.  I always got the impression that if he got Independence, he'd sober up and suddenly realise "Oh ****! What the **** do I do next?"

Im also unconvinced by Blackford when he addresses the House of Commons, Sturgeon probably needs to rein him in.. as much as he has a point, he just comes across as a playground bully in his tone.

In the greater scheme of things, no, she cant control the Social Media warriors, the bloggers, and the like, and there are two many posts and idiots to fight each and everyone. 

What she might do, or at least, her staff might do, is take a Wings Over Scotland blog post, debunk the wildly over the top commentary, and perhaps even it out as a more balanced article, albeit slightly biased in favour her agenda. I think those on the fence of the Status Quo might appreciate Holyrood cutting through WoS's bull**** and gently pushing a more level headed view.

19 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Im also unconvinced by Blackford when he addresses the House of Commons, Sturgeon probably needs to rein him in..

Blackford is terrible, half the time at PM's questions he doesn't ask a question and just blusters about random stuff. The other week he starting ranting about Boris to May...I thought the point of PM's questions was to hold the government to account on the way they are running the country. May just swiped him away.

Angus Robertson was much better.

Cant say I'm convinced by "Anonymous" Alistair Jack as Scottish Secretary. Has more of a feel that he is Westminster's cabinet man in Scotland - to do as we are told as opposed to Scotland's representative in the cabinet.

Yet strangely I thought there were sufficient Tory MP's in Scotland that Boris still has to impose Jack's number 2 from an English based MP. Hardly a ringing endorsement of Boris's faith in the Scottish Tory party. No wonder wee Rooth is fuming

Wee Rooth isn't a MP so she couldn't be part of the Cabinet anyway unless she was to become a Baroness via the Lords! ala Michelle Mone. In fairness to Rooth, the Scottish Branch of the Conservatives does appear to have a degree of autonomy from the English "Westminster" Mob, something that perhaps Labour and its current Branch Office mentality should aspire to! 

2 hours ago, Superally said:

Wee Rooth isn't a MP so she couldn't be part of the Cabinet anyway 

Neither she is! Shes not a Brexiteer, so the point remains, there was never a chance of her being offered any kind of cabinet post.

8 hours ago, Superally said:

Wee Rooth isn't a MP so she couldn't be part of the Cabinet anyway unless she was to become a Baroness via the Lords! ala Michelle Mone. In fairness to Rooth, the Scottish Branch of the Conservatives does appear to have a degree of autonomy from the English "Westminster" Mob, something that perhaps Labour and its current Branch Office mentality should aspire to! 

The Scottish Conservatives will split from the main party. 

As for Labour not so sure. Anyway Corbyn for Prime minister. 

Archived