VAR in the Premier League

Vinnie

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Thats not VARs fault, thats the fault of lawmakers ****ing about with the laws of the game.

Its a handball under the laws, not that I agree with the laws.  I think the laws are too rigid, created by folks who maybe havent played top level sport.  VAR was applied correctly.

Im not a convert to VAR yet.  But its use has been less intrusive compared to the World Cup and CL last season.

Indirectly I think it is VAR's fault as the recent change to these crazy new handball rules happened as a result of having VAR and otherwise innocuous incidents suddenly being under even more (and now official) scrutiny.

Incidentally, I was reading elsewhere, that that handball which caused a goal to be ruled out, not only wouldn't have been a handball elsewhere on the pitch, but also wouldn't have been a penalty had exactly the same thing happened with a defending player. So we now have different rules for the same 'offence' depending on where it was and who it was. WTF...

I like the idea of VAR, but I'm not to sure on how it's being applied. I think 'clear and obvious mistakes' should be what the VAR decisions are made on. The VAR refs should be given 30 second to decide, if it takes longer than that then it's not clear or obvious and decision on the pitch stands. 

1 hour ago, SanguinePar said:

Indirectly I think it is VAR's fault as the recent change to these crazy new handball rules happened as a result of having VAR and otherwise innocuous incidents suddenly being under even more (and now official) scrutiny.

Its not VAR that is at fault, its the lawmakers who had to tighten up the laws so that use VAR could be implemented more smoothly that are at fault.  

25 minutes ago, lambo1885 said:

I like the idea of VAR, but I'm not to sure on how it's being applied. I think 'clear and obvious mistakes' should be what the VAR decisions are made on. The VAR refs should be given 30 second to decide, if it takes longer than that then it's not clear or obvious and decision on the pitch stands. 

So far, Ive not seen a PL ref use a monitor, all of the reviews are handled by the VAR who has decided offside or onside etc etc etc, or in the City game, the keeper moving off his line before a penalty is taken. The Video Ref is watching while play continues to the next stoppage. 

5 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Its not VAR that is at fault, its the lawmakers who had to tighten up the laws so that use VAR could be implemented more smoothly that are at fault.  

The law was fine. Football was fine. VAR is now causing laws to be changed, and games to be delayed in getting underway. Is this really what we want?

The wee technical issue at half time in the Liverpool game didnt disrupt the flow of the game. 

I agree football didnt need changing, but it is changing, and VAR appears to be the future. 

The original post refers to how the EPL has taken VAR and is using it slightly differently from what weve seen before in the World Cup and the Champions League.  

While not a fan of VAR on the whole (I like that football can be controversial and open to interpretation, and provides talking points) I do think that so far, the games havent been disrupted too much, and that the EPL might using it the right way, if indeed there is a right way.

18 hours ago, Vinnie said:

So far, Ive not seen a PL ref use a monitor, all of the reviews are handled by the VAR who has decided offside or onside etc etc etc, or in the City game, the keeper moving off his line before a penalty is taken. The Video Ref is watching while play continues to the next stoppage. 

Just a small point of order, the Man City retake wasn't for the keeper coming off his line but for encroachment by Declan Rice. 

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Just a small point of order, the Man City retake wasn't for the keeper coming off his line but for encroachment by Declan Rice. 

Even then though, didn't they say that it was because he was involved in the clearance (or something like that)? In other words, if he hadn't been involved, then they wouldn't have retaken it, even though that's literally the rule?

2 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

Even then though, didn't they say that it was because he was involved in the clearance (or something like that)? In other words, if he hadn't been involved, then they wouldn't have retaken it, even though that's literally the rule?

Yes, that's what I heard. Seems the Premier League are just making up stuff as they go along, and that their clubs are going to be having different rules in the league and in Europe. It's a bit of a farce tbh.

20 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

It's a bit of a farce tbh.

Because its not universal.  Some leagues use it, some dont, those that use it are using it in different ways.

My issue with VAR is that laws of the game should apply at every level.  

Archived