Blast from the past

Deutsch Par

Writing profiles for former Pars players from the 90s and decided to try a wee bit of a cheat, as older Pars fans tend to remember older matches better I thought I would put it out there, is this a decent description of Sergio Duarte's time at East End Park? 

The Brazilian midfielder made his Pars début as a Trialist against Dundee United in a 3-3 draw at East End Park and was impressive enough in the middle of the park as we clawed back a 3 goal deficit in the second half in the match in a swirling wind that made playing good football almost impossible but the two teams managed to put on an entertaining game with Sergio having a rocket of a shot from distance against the wind that seemed to be heading into the top corner tipped over by United keeper Sieb Dijkstra. This was enough for manager Bert Paton to offer him a contract until the end of the 1997/98 season where he played another 15 games but never hit the heights of his debut infamously missing the team bus back from Ibrox after his second appearance when The Pars lost 1-0 to Celtic in the Coca-Cola Cup semi final.

Here's his début also 

I remember the media making a big thing of him signing and I was in the Somewhere Else pre-match for his home debut and he was a major talking point. In fact I'm sure some Geordies on a Stag-do in the pub same time as me went to the game to see the Brazilian.

Farningham was decent. A Gary Mason type player, who did a lot of the ugly stuff for the footballers around him. Very much a 'water carrier'.

Gerry Farrell didn't play that many games for us. Left back who came from Celtic who unfortunately got into debt from gambling and ended up selling drugs to pay for his gambling debts. He owed over £70k and so got sucked into holding cocaine for his lenders and got caught. He got jailed for four years apparently. 

I don't have a morbid fascination for Gerry Farrell btw, I knew he'd been jailed so I googled the rest. ;)

My recollection of the signing of Farrell is that we signed him from Possil and he was a right back signed specifically to replace Jackie McNamara, had a good game when we got pumped 4-0 by United but faded into obscurity pretty soon after.  Didn't think he'd ever been a Celtic player but will check that again, like the suggestion he'd played for Partick Thistle but the Thistle Stats guy hadn't heard of him.  

Next players are:

Craig Faulconbridge (let's face it, it's all about one goal)

Paul Fenwick

Derek Ferguson (had to be very careful not to swear)

Steven Ferguson (one sub appearance, not a lot to go on)

Faulconbridge - yep, would agree.  Apart from THAT goal, I don't have much in the way of other recollections about him.

Fenwick - I always thought he was a decent defender.  Nothing more than that though.  Canadian if I recall?

Derek Ferguson - was chuffed when we got him, and I thought he did OK during his time with the Pars.

Steven Ferguson - pretty much as @GordieBoy80 put it!

Archived