Thank You, Scotland

60 years ago today, was a watershed moment in my life. My family escaped the abject poverty in southern Italy by emigrating to Scotland. Both my parents worked on a dairy farm near Aberdour. It was hard work and long hours (they were up for morning milking at 3 am) but they were paid every Saturday. In Italy they had been tenant farmers on a small piece of land. Two thirds of the produce was the "rent" legally demanded by the land owner. Any animals on the land were split 50-50.

I started at the local primary school after the summer holidays, aged 7.5 years. I had no English, so I joined P1. There were no classroom assistants or Support for Learning teachers, but I was able to make good progress thanks to the efforts of Mrs McCrae and my classmates. I spent 6 months at each stage so that by the time I got to P7 I had caught up with my peers.

By this time, my family had moved to another farm, near Dunfermline, because Farmer Craig decided to retire and sold the farm. (The new owner brought his own farm workers so my parents were surplus to requirements.) My siblings and I continued to thrive in the Scottish education system, even though our parents spoke very little English and could not offer us any home support. (A family friend took me to see the Pars beat St Johnstone 4-0 in November 1963, confirming me as a Pars fan from that moment.) 🙂

After sitting my 'O'Grades, I applied to become a Telecommunications Engineer, but was knocked back because I was not born in the UK, a requirement of 3 generations, so I went back to school and sat my Highers. I had a particular passion for Chemistry so I ended up teaching in my former high school for 35 years, with 2 years at Glenwood HS sandwiched in between. 37 happy years, doing what I loved best, helping young people to learn to think rationally and critically and hopefully grow into well rounded individuals, ready for life beyond school.

I often wonder how things would have turned out if my family hadn't emigrated to Scotland all those years ago. I certainly wouldn't have had the opportunity to study beyond compulsory education age (14) in Italy at that time. Many of the kids of my age moved to the north of Italy and worked in factories for the likes of Fiat and Pirelli. I can't help thinking Somebody up there likes me......

I'm very grateful to my parents who continued to work on the farm until they retired, so that my siblings and I could complete our education. Most of my relatives have ended up working in chip shops, cafes or restaurants. I'm grateful too, to my adopted country, which made us feel welcome from Day 1 and gave my siblings and I the opportunity to realise our potentials.

12 hours ago, Piracy said:

That's the bloody problem with all you immigrants, coming over here, working hard, paying taxes and integrating positively with Scottish society!! 

Ah ken, ken? 🙂

Seriously though, this is true of most immigrants, especially if they've emigrated to make a better life for themselves.

I've had a go at some of my relatives here who, on a number of different occasions, have opined that Scots are lazy. I've replied that most Scots here are relaxed and comfortable with their lot, but if you go abroad, you'll find countless Scots who have done very well for themselves. Similarly, if you go to Italy you'll find plenty of Italians who are happy to do just enough to get by, whereas their immigrant counterparts will work really hard at any job they manage to secure. 

3 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Ah ken, ken? 🙂

Seriously though, this is true of most immigrants, especially if they've emigrated to make a better life for themselves.

I've had a go at some of my relatives here who, on a number of different occasions, have opined that Scots are lazy. I've replied that most Scots here are relaxed and comfortable with their lot, but if you go abroad, you'll find countless Scots who have done very well for themselves. Similarly, if you go to Italy you'll find plenty of Italians who are happy to do just enough to get by, whereas their immigrant counterparts will work really hard at any job they manage to secure. 

To (mis)quote Hamilton... "Immigrants, [they] get the job done!"

Immigration has went on for millenia. Right from when modern man left Africa and in some circumstances cross bred with Neanderthal man. 

Rips my knitting these perceived differences based on nationality, skin colour, cultures and sub-cultures. All based on ignorance. 

2 hours ago, Piracy said:

Immigration has went on for millenia. Right from when modern man left Africa and in some circumstances cross bred with Neanderthal man. 

Rips my knitting these perceived differences based on nationality, skin colour, cultures and sub-cultures. All based on ignorance. 

You never spoke a truer word, mate. I'd like to recommend a book to you and anyone of a similar mindset. "Bloody Foreigners " by Robert Winder. It's the best work of non fiction I've ever read, thoroughly well researched, wonderful stories, laced with an abundance of wit, humour and pathos. You'll be amazed at how many inventions and breakthroughs, etc. accredited to Brits were actually down to immigrants who had integrated seamlessly with the native population. You'll see how the history of immigration repeats itself time and again. The new arrivals are nearly always viewed with suspicion and hostility, but eventually become a part of British society, ready to "welcome" the next wave of "bloody foreigners." 🙂

It costs less than a Domino's pizza.

Archived