Efe Ambrose

rosythpar

1 minute ago, Digs said:

No, it really isn't. I'll go ahead an assume you didn't read the rest of my post since that's clearly what you did with my original one. 

Why is it our biggest problem. Explain it to me.

I did read it, you're welcome to assume what you may. 

In short, because it's ****ing ****e. 

What you're saying about about the team being set up being key to how the midfield performs is nothing new, I posted on it a while back with regards to the abuse that Todd and Allan receive, they were getting hung out to dry with the system we were playing. Likewise you need to accept and appreciate why Hughes was trying to flood the middle of the park, because the bodies we have in there are quite frankly not good enough. 

We have a few of them, absolutely none of them posses the defensive nouse required to protect the defence, how many goals have we conceded with balls at the edge of the box being rifled in with our centre midfield being posted missing? Dorrans as the deepest midfielder should be doing this job, however unsurprisingly for a player who's played the majority of his career as a winger and an attacking midfielder he's a empty shirt with regards to defending. 

By the nature of the beast wingers at this level are inconsistent, Lawless and Dow both had good games at the weekend which led to a glut of chances, over a season that'll be a rarity. It then falls on your centre midfield to break lines, and progress the ball, and from that centre midfield who do you have that can do that? Christ add Dorrans into it if you want but that's no longer his game. The only player we have that is close to that is Wilson, and he's crocked. 

Pybus runs around allot, but if you're wanting quick, incisive passes? ****. He's not even adapt at breaking up play or making tackles. I like Allan, he actually does the Dorrans job probably as good as Dorrans, Todd? Well I'm not sure what role he's trying to play. 

If you don't think centre midfield is a problem go ask the manager, ask him why it is he's packing the midfield, why it is that we're playing McCann upfront rather than two up front, or even our best strikers up front. And it's because of our centre midfield. It isn't good at supplying our forwards with chances, and it's even worse at protecting the centre backs, it's horrid. 

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Grant said:

I did read it, you're welcome to assume what you may. 

In short, because it's ****ing ****e. 

What you're saying about about the team being set up being key to how the midfield performs is nothing new, I posted on it a while back with regards to the abuse that Todd and Allan receive, they were getting hung out to dry with the system we were playing. Likewise you need to accept and appreciate why Hughes was trying to flood the middle of the park, because the bodies we have in there are quite frankly not good enough. 

We have a few of them, absolutely none of them posses the defensive nouse required to protect the defence, how many goals have we conceded with balls at the edge of the box being rifled in with our centre midfield being posted missing? Dorrans as the deepest midfielder should be doing this job, however unsurprisingly for a player who's played the majority of his career as a winger and an attacking midfielder he's a empty shirt with regards to defending. 

By the nature of the beast wingers at this level are inconsistent, Lawless and Dow both had good games at the weekend which led to a glut of chances, over a season that'll be a rarity. It then falls on your centre midfield to break lines, and progress the ball, and from that centre midfield who do you have that can do that? Christ add Dorrans into it if you want but that's no longer his game. The only player we have that is close to that is Wilson, and he's crocked. 

Pybus runs around allot, but if you're wanting quick, incisive passes? ****. He's not even adapt at breaking up play or making tackles. I like Allan, he actually does the Dorrans job probably as good as Dorrans, Todd? Well I'm not sure what role he's trying to play. 

If you don't think centre midfield is a problem go ask the manager, ask him why it is he's packing the midfield, why it is that we're playing McCann upfront rather than two up front, or even our best strikers up front. And it's because of our centre midfield. It isn't good at supplying our forwards with chances, and it's even worse at protecting the centre backs, it's horrid. 

Firstly, calm down before you have a stroke, and knock the swearing off as well. 

Secondly, if you can point me to the part where I said, there was no problem with our midfield, I'd be grateful, because I know I didn't say that. I said, it's not our biggest problem and it isn't. If we do the things I said in my post, we will be playing on the front foot anyway, and playing higher up the pitch, we won't be backing off, and won't be allowing runners onto the midfield/back four to cause the issues you mention it also allows a much more solid formation with less gaps as the inverted wingers allow us to pack the midfield into a 5, as well as get wide and link up.

I absolutely accept there needs to be changes in there, I never once said it was perfect. However I'll also say if we can play in the formation we did on Saturday and play it as well, we won't be far off. 

You've said Lawless and Dow won't be consistent. That's quite the assumption since Lawless has only played twice and Dow was one of our most consistent players under Crawford. Dorrans isn't there to play 'CDM' as the FIFA generation loves to call it. Being the deepest sitting midfielder isn't about sweeping in front of the back four, it's part of it but the main function is to collect the ball and move it through the phases, keeping the ball moving and he absolutely does that, unfortunately though, with nothing moving in front of him, it's just about keep ball as opposed to making incisive passes.

Pybus also isn't there to make quick incisive passes, he's a water carrier. He's there to do the ugly stuff and break up play, which he does reasonably well but there is absolutely room for improvement I agree. Todd and Allan are two totally different players. Allan absolutely has got it in his locker to pass the ball and create things, he's just young and needs to kick on a bit. ie he could be a player but he's on the way, rather than there yet. Matty has always been about being an athlete, and can play defensively or offensively. I've known him since he was 8, and have watched him for years. He can play anywhere in the middle of the pitch, but his role now is about energy and linking the midfield with the front players whilst getting about the middle of the park in players faces.

I played at every level there is to play except pro, and I spent the best part of that time as a centre back shouting at midfielders to do their job so trust me when I say I recognise when it's not happening. If I was playing behind them, in the shape they did on Saturday, doing the things they did well, then I wouldn't have much cause for shouting. And actually on the flip side of what you've said, we have had a reasonably good shape for big parts of the season, formation wasn't the big issue as such. The amount of draws we've had prove this (the same as the amount of defeats). Teams couldn't break us down during that period, and we enjoyed a lot of the ball but it went side to side and was completely passive. It's only been a handful of games, at the start of the season, and more recently, where we've looked much more ragged shape wise. The biggest reason we have spent the time we have at the bottom half is a chronic lack of goals for the most part, highlighted by the fact there are three teams above us who have lost more games than we have.

If we can get back to that shape, and add in that tempo, pace, and link up play further up the pitch, we won't be far off in most games as we will be doing the main thing that we have missed all season and that is playing on the front foot and creating chances. 

THAT is why midfield isn't our MAIN problem.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Digs said:

Firstly, calm down before you have a stroke, and knock the swearing off as well. 

Nah I'm alright, cheers for the concern though. 

Maybe don't talk down to people as much? I have no idea who you are, and quite frankly couldn't care less what level you played it. I'd imagine Yogi top trumps you on that and it's certainly the position we feels we're weakest in, again though, relevancy? 

I know you didn't say that midfield wasn't a problem, likewise I never said that you didn't say that. 

Trying to pass of your opinions as facts isn't a good look. Your assertion that "anyone who says that he has been poor really hasn't got a clue what they're watching to be honest." is far more offensive than any swearing I done. 

Now, once you KNOCK that off and the RANDOM full capital words there might be a discussion to be had. 

18 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

So if midfield is not the problem,   Are you blaming the strikers and wingers?   Because I find it very hard to believe all these guys who for the most part had very successful seasons last year suddenly turned ****.

Once again, I never said there were no issues in midfield, they absolutely could do better. However, I'm saying signing a midfielder won't suddenly see us magically fly up the table because all of our issues will be resolved. 

I'm not saying the wingers/wide players are the issue either, I'm saying the formations we played in that got us in bother left us struggling and absolutely destroyed the teams confidence. As you rightly point out, these players were playing with pace and tempo for big parts of last season, and now suddenly they weren't able to produce that. That comes down to fear, a lack of confidence, lack of bravery for not wanting to be the one who makes a mistake that causes a defeat this week. Confidence in your own ability is a huge factor no matter how good a player you are.

Our biggest issue this season has been formation driven. I think everyone can agree on that. From Grant's mental back three he refused to change away from, (and lumbering us with players to play in it who aren't good enough) to the constant one up front, straight 4-5-1 that left all of our forward players looking like Sunday league players due to the starvation of service and the utter lack of confidence to be brave on the ball. They were all sitting in behind the ball, backing off, and instead of putting teams under pressure, we were putting ourselves under pressure for pretty much the full 90 mins. No team can defend for that long in games and expect to win games. If you're going to do that what do you need to counter when you do get the ball? Pace and tempo. 

If we get the formation right, the pace and tempo has a better chance of returning (as it did on Saturday, second half it wore off but still) and therefore we defend better as a unit, from the front, and we aren't always on our heels. Offensively, we are going to get down the sides and get some crosses into the box for a change. Every game we have played well this season (a few as that is) the one thing we managed to do, was get crosses into the box. Why? Because we moved the ball quicker, and we had willing runners wide from the midfield and also the full back. How often Edwards and Comrie have gotten forward is usually a good barometer for how well the team has played, and that happens when they have something to bounce the ball off, who will link with them, but also protect them and sit in for them when they do go forward.

33 minutes ago, Grant said:

Nah I'm alright, cheers for the concern though. 

Maybe don't talk down to people as much? I have no idea who you are, and quite frankly couldn't care less what level you played it. I'd imagine Yogi top trumps you on that and it's certainly the position we feels we're weakest in, again though, relevancy? 

I know you didn't say that midfield wasn't a problem, likewise I never said that you didn't say that. 

Trying to pass of your opinions as facts isn't a good look. Your assertion that "anyone who says that he has been poor really hasn't got a clue what they're watching to be honest." is far more offensive than any swearing I done. 

Now, once you KNOCK that off and the RANDOM full capital words there might be a discussion to be had. 

I don't talk down to people, and getting annoyed about capitalisation of letters for emphasis is a weird thing to get annoyed about tbh. You also did imply I thought midfield wasn't a problem because asked me to speak to Yogi about it if I disagreed. The inference was clear.

In hindsight, maybe my OP was out or order. Mea Culpa and all that. However, I am sick to the back teeth of people hearing someone say something, then repeat it, and use it to justify just about any moan they've got. It's been used to slate Dorrans generally, without justification, to criticise Yogi for his transfer activity with no-on on here having any idea what he's doing about that day to day and also assuming they know better than him and even going so far as to say he was a poor choice.

I made the comment because there is no nuance to that opinion whatsoever, no context, and it takes nothing else into consideration. Just 'oor midfield is rotten'. It's so one-dimensional and in no way reflects what's happening with the team. 

I also didn't mention where I played to impress you. I couldn't care less what folk think of me tbh, I was merely making the point that had the middle being overrun as much as you were making out and that was the main issue I would have absolutely called it out as well and agreed with you. ie I'm more inclined to slate a lazy midfielder when I see one because I spent enough time shouting at them for it.

Finally, I'm one of the people who pay for this site out of their own pocket. We decide where the line is on language, and how folk are spoken to etc so I will absolutely call it out when it happens. We don't ban folk etc, and rarely even warn people, but we do have a line. For my part, as I said above, I'll happily say what I said originally, was condescending, hands up. For yours, please take my advice, calm down and maybe ask yourself if you're also doing the things you accuse me of.

"To give him a two year deal of the back of that, is baffling tbh."

They didn't though.  He played a full season in the A-League before we signed him, which is a better standard than the Scottish Championship.

Dorrans hasn't been as good as I had hoped, but he's been nowhere near as bad as some like to make him out to be.  What is clear though, is that he can't carry the team.  I think he'll still be useful if the side starts functioning like it did when we beat Ayr - or like it did on Saturday.  The one thing that was obvious to me in those two games, in stark contrast to most of the other games, was that whoever had possession of the ball actually seemed to have some options.  That's clearly what Dorrans needs - he's not going to run around like Pybus does, but he will find a black and white shirt more often than not if they find some space.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

"To give him a two year deal of the back of that, is baffling tbh."

They didn't though.  He played a full season in the A-League before we signed him, which is a better standard than the Scottish Championship.

Dorrans hasn't been as good as I had hoped, but he's been nowhere near as bad as some like to make him out to be.  What is clear though, is that he can't carry the team.  I think he'll still be useful if the side starts functioning like it did when we beat Ayr - or like it did on Saturday.  The one thing that was obvious to me in those two games, in stark contrast to most of the other games, was that whoever had possession of the ball actually seemed to have some options.  That's clearly what Dorrans needs - he's not going to run around like Pybus does, but he will find a black and white shirt more often than not if they find some space.

And from reading those who watched him in Australia, he didn't set the heather alight out there either. You'd have to go back years, and years to try and find performances that justify him being our best paid player, while ignoring years worth of average performances. I'm also guessing that we would've offered him on the contract based on his history, rather than us having a scouting network in the Australian league tipping us of? 

He's alright, we don't particularly miss him when he's not playing, and when he does he's more likely to slow the tempo down than he is to progress us up the park, as with most things they need blanaced up, for what we'll be giving Dorrans he quite frankly isn't giving enough back, that doesn't necessarily make him a bad player, but it does mean he's not been a good signing. 

1 hour ago, Digs said:

I don't talk down to people, and getting annoyed about capitalisation of letters for emphasis is a weird thing to get annoyed about tbh. You also did imply I thought midfield wasn't a problem because asked me to speak to Yogi about it if I disagreed. The inference was clear.

In hindsight, maybe my OP was out or order. Mea Culpa and all that. However, I am sick to the back teeth of people hearing someone say something, then repeat it, and use it to justify just about any moan they've got. It's been used to slate Dorrans generally, without justification, to criticise Yogi for his transfer activity with no-on on here having any idea what he's doing about that day to day and also assuming they know better than him and even going so far as to say he was a poor choice.

I made the comment because there is no nuance to that opinion whatsoever, no context, and it takes nothing else into consideration. Just 'oor midfield is rotten'. It's so one-dimensional and in no way reflects what's happening with the team. 

I also didn't mention where I played to impress you. I couldn't care less what folk think of me tbh, I was merely making the point that had the middle being overrun as much as you were making out and that was the main issue I would have absolutely called it out as well and agreed with you. ie I'm more inclined to slate a lazy midfielder when I see one because I spent enough time shouting at them for it.

Finally, I'm one of the people who pay for this site out of their own pocket. We decide where the line is on language, and how folk are spoken to etc so I will absolutely call it out when it happens. We don't ban folk etc, and rarely even warn people, but we do have a line. For my part, as I said above, I'll happily say what I said originally, was condescending, hands up. For yours, please take my advice, calm down and maybe ask yourself if you're also doing the things you accuse me of.

You say you don't talk down to people, however you then say in the last paragraph that you know what you said is condescending? 

I didn't imply that at all, my post was clearly about how midfield was our biggest problem, asking you to ask Yogi about that while showing evidence about the whole team structure is done with the centre midfield deficiencys in mind is inferring exactly that, centre midfield is our biggest problem, don't get angsty because you're looking so deeply into posts to try help your own narrative. 

There's a good amount of justification for criticising Dorrans performances, unsurprisingly when we've been stinking the league out for most of the season. Likewise it's pretty hard to say whether Yogi has been a good, or bad choice. There's sadly some worrying signs in his tenure though that people were worried about when he was appointed. However he might turn out good. 

Or maybe, just a thought, that merely playing as a centre back doesn't make you an oracle of knowledge for everything there is to know about the game? I played as a defender but its not like me yeeting balls into the channel for a striker to chase gives me special insight into the game. It also doesn't make me more likely to criticise a midfielder, than it does for me to criticise a goalkeeper, a striker or, a defender. 

I won't take your advice because I already am calm, now if I capitalising random words? That would come across as angsty.  there'll be opinions I have on our state of play that absolutely won't align with what other posters think, and that's alright, it doesn't mean that they don't know what they're talking about, that's football. I don't hold my opinion of it in such a regard that I think what I say, is. 

Edited by Grant

He probably didn't set the heather alight in Australia as it's a higher standard than the Scottish Championship.  He was still good enough to be an almost ever present in a mid-table A-League side.  

Anyway, there's no point in saying much more as you and Digs are scrapping it out.  That and the fact that he's not been as good as I would have hoped - I just think some folk expected him to be some sort of world beater who dominated every game he played in.  When it turned out he wasn't, they've made up their mind he's been horrific in every game and refuse to see any of the good stuff.  He's not been any sort of raging success story, but we're sitting bottom of the Championship, so nobody has. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Grant said:

And from reading those who watched him in Australia, he didn't set the heather alight out there either. You'd have to go back years, and years to try and find performances that justify him being our best paid player, while ignoring years worth of average performances. I'm also guessing that we would've offered him on the contract based on his history, rather than us having a scouting network in the Australian league tipping us of? 

He's alright, we don't particularly miss him when he's not playing, and when he does he's more likely to slow the tempo down than he is to progress us up the park, as with most things they need blanaced up, for what we'll be giving Dorrans he quite frankly isn't giving enough back, that doesn't necessarily make him a bad player, but it does mean he's not been a good signing. 

You say you don't talk down to people, however you then say in the last paragraph that you know what you said is condescending? 

I didn't imply that at all, my post was clearly about how midfield was our biggest problem, asking you to ask Yogi about that while showing evidence about the whole team structure is done with the centre midfield deficiencys in mind is inferring exactly that, centre midfield is our biggest problem, don't get angsty because you're looking so deeply into posts to try help your own narrative. 

There's a good amount of justification for criticising Dorrans performances, unsurprisingly when we've been stinking the league out for most of the season. Likewise it's pretty hard to say whether Yogi has been a good, or bad choice. There's sadly some worrying signs in his tenure though that people were worried about when he was appointed. However he might turn out good. 

Or maybe, just a thought, that merely playing as a centre back doesn't make you an oracle of knowledge for everything there is to know about the game? I played as a defender but its not like me yeeting balls into the channel for a striker to chase gives me special insight into the game. It also doesn't make me more likely to criticise a midfielder, than it does for me to criticise a goalkeeper, a striker or, a defender. 

I won't take your advice because I already am calm, now if I capitalising random words? That would come across as angsty.  there'll be opinions I have on our state of play that absolutely won't align with what other posters think, and that's alright, it doesn't mean that they don't know what they're talking about, that's football. I don't hold my opinion of it in such a regard that I think what I say, is. 

Oh Jings guys I thought I had logged into .net