Falkirk away 8th April

kelty_par

6 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Away allocation sold out. A fantastic effort.

And to think that there are many Pars fans who don't want to see Falkirk promoted with us to the Championship this season. Mental. These are the kind of games which set the pulse racing. Perhaps they'd rather we played 4 games against Hamilton or Cove? 🤔

Oh, I'm absolutely guilty of that GG. 

You know what sets the pulse racing? Winning the championship. I've got my fingers crossed that Dundee go up and Hamilton go down. That leaves us with a division off - 

Ayr, Arbroath, Cove, Dunfermline, Inverness, Morton, Partick Thistle, Raith, Ross County, Queens Park. 

Now with that we have a chance, all things being equal only Ross County with there sugar daddy and parachute payment would have a larger budget. Look at that league, with a few teams in transition and tell me you don't fancy us for at least the playoffs? 

However if you have Falkirk, the two Dundee sides and potentially another prem league down and all of a sudden we won't have a budget in the top four in the division. We would have a higher turnover but relative to the rest of the division, we'd be poorer. 

Get promoted the championship, and then get to the Premiership, then we'll have big games every week. That has to be the aim, and for our best chance of that happening we do not want Falkirk up. Also I really enjoy laughing at there misery. 

Edit-And massive thanks to Piracy for hooking me up with transport for the game, buzzing like a knacked fridge. 

Edited by Grant
  • Upvote 8

3 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Falkirk are our rivals. I want nothing but abject misery for them

Bit of fun with them on P&B. I'm nipping their heads to distract them from their win last night. Method in the madness, even if it is infantile, point scoring pish 🤣

9 hours ago, Grant said:

Oh, I'm absolutely guilty of that GG. 

You know what sets the pulse racing? Winning the championship. I've got my fingers crossed that Dundee go up and Hamilton go down. That leaves us with a division off - 

Ayr, Arbroath, Cove, Dunfermline, Inverness, Morton, Partick Thistle, Raith, Ross County, Queens Park. 

Now with that we have a chance, all things being equal only Ross County with there sugar daddy and parachute payment would have a larger budget. Look at that league, with a few teams in transition and tell me you don't fancy us for at least the playoffs? 

However if you have Falkirk, the two Dundee sides and potentially another prem league down and all of a sudden we won't have a budget in the top four in the division. We would have a higher turnover but relative to the rest of the division, we'd be poorer. 

Get promoted the championship, and then get to the Premiership, then we'll have big games every week. That has to be the aim, and for our best chance of that happening we do not want Falkirk up. Also I really enjoy laughing at there misery. 

Edit-And massive thanks to Piracy for hooking me up with transport for the game, buzzing like a knacked fridge. 

I like the cut of your jib, Grant. There's a lot to be admired in your post - great attitude and crackling with positivity. But there's a slight flaw in your argument....

It's all based on logic and football isn't always logical. The team with the biggest budget doesn't always win the league, although I concede they'll normally always be there or thereabouts. 

You want to trade lots of potentially exciting games for an increased chance of going up? Very laudible, but a gamble all the same. Why not have a tilt at consecutive promotions in a tougher league, even if it's through the play offs? At least that would cut down on the number of games played in front of small crowds with little atmosphere. Such games tend to be poor because the players don't get the extra adrenalin rush which a big noisy crowd can generate.

Edited by GG Riva
  • Upvote 1

There's a flaw in there too.

The size of the crowd has absolutely no affect on whether a game is great or not.

Stenny away 4-5?

Airdrie 3-4? Both with smallish crowds

Similarly, there's been a multitude of boring Super Sunday games over the years from the English Premiership for example. 

It's completely uncorrelated.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Eastendtales said:

There's a flaw in there too.

The size of the crowd has absolutely no affect on whether a game is great or not.

Stenny away 4-5?

Airdrie 3-4? Both with smallish crowds

Similarly, there's been a multitude of boring Super Sunday games over the years from the English Premiership for example. 

It's completely uncorrelated.

There's always an exception to every rule, but most of the time players will be buzzing with anticipation when they know they're going to be playing in front of a bigger than usual crowd. You're not going to argue that our players were far more up for the games v Falkirk than any others this season?

Poor games will happen in the EPL because one or both teams adopt safety first tactics. Crowds are normally consistently good but will go flat if the game is dull.

2 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

There's always an exception to every rule, but most of the time players will be buzzing with anticipation when they know they're going to be playing in front of a bigger than usual crowd. You're not going to argue that our players were far more up for the games v Falkirk than any others this season?

Poor games will happen in the EPL because one or both teams adopt safety first tactics. Crowds are normally consistently good but will go flat if the game is dull.

You said exciting games, don't change the goalposts sir. This has nothing to do with a team being up for it. 

2 hours ago, Eastendtales said:

You said exciting games, don't change the goalposts sir. This has nothing to do with a team being up for it. 

You've lost me, buddy. Give me a game with a big crowd any day. Far more chance of being an enjoyable game. I'm not looking for an argument. If you think the size of the crowd is totally irrelevant, that's fine by me, but you're probably in a tiny minority. Why do you think the ratio of home wins to away wins is 3:2? Yes, there are other factors at play, but the (usually) greater no of home fans plays a significant role. 

9 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

You've lost me, buddy. Give me a game with a big crowd any day. Far more chance of being an enjoyable game. I'm not looking for an argument. If you think the size of the crowd is totally irrelevant, that's fine by me, but you're probably in a tiny minority. Why do you think the ratio of home wins to away wins is 3:2? Yes, there are other factors at play, but the (usually) greater no of home fans plays a significant role. 

No argument, OK well a little considering we're here talking about it.

I took you to say that games with bigger crowds tend to be more exciting games. I disagree, a bigger crowd doesn't make an exciting game. The last game at TFS was apparently a dirge of a match for example. 

Perhaps you're arguing something slightly different here. 

21 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Away allocation sold out. A fantastic effort.

And to think that there are many Pars fans who don't want to see Falkirk promoted with us to the Championship this season. Mental. These are the kind of games which set the pulse racing. Perhaps they'd rather we played 4 games against Hamilton or Cove? 🤔

Don’t think it’s particularly helpful to say it’s “mental” for some folk to want Falkirk to stay down this season.  

I personally want them to suffer more and will look forward to plenty bigger games next season without that lot coming anywhere near us.  Frankly I would love to have a successful Championship season, while chuckling heartily at them struggling in League 1 again, with the financial woes coming home to roost so they can’t even use that as an insult to us anymore.

Ive said it before, I’m all for rivalry, but there’s something of it all going a bit far when we play them. Some of the stuff that’s said and posted just goes a level more and I don’t think we need it. It attracts too high a ratio of wee Fannie’s to the pound, and brings the wrong kind of attention.  

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Eastendtales said:

No argument, OK well a little considering we're here talking about it.

I took you to say that games with bigger crowds tend to be more exciting games. I disagree, a bigger crowd doesn't make an exciting game. The last game at TFS was apparently a dirge of a match for example. 

Perhaps you're arguing something slightly different here. 

Yes, I was saying tend to, as in usually, or at least more often than not. I wasn't suggesting that It's always the case. 

I believe you're one of the lads who interview some of our former players for the podcasts? Why don't you ask your next subject if he found that playing in front of a large crowd gave him an extra buzz and subsequently up his game?

Come November, I'll have been following the Pars for 60 years. I've lost count of the number of great games I've seen at EEP with a large crowd backing the team. Sometimes, only days or a week later, we'd be playing a game against modest opponents in front of a small crowd and the players would be almost unrecognisable, playing well below their best.

20 minutes ago, Rossmcno1 said:

Don’t think it’s particularly helpful to say it’s “mental” for some folk to want Falkirk to stay down this season.  

I personally want them to suffer more and will look forward to plenty bigger games next season without that lot coming anywhere near us.  Frankly I would love to have a successful Championship season, while chuckling heartily at them struggling in League 1 again, with the financial woes coming home to roost so they can’t even use that as an insult to us anymore.

Ive said it before, I’m all for rivalry, but there’s something of it all going a bit far when we play them. Some of the stuff that’s said and posted just goes a level more and I don’t think we need it. It attracts too high a ratio of wee Fannie’s to the pound, and brings the wrong kind of attention.  

I apologise for my use of the word "mental." It was not intended to offend anyone with mental health issues. I used it as a synonym for crazy or mad to mean unbelievable. If these words are just as bad, I apologise again. They were terms I grew up using when nobody was offended by them. Indeed, some lads took the term as a compliment, as it was used to describe someone who was courageous and fearless and maybe quite hard, too.

I take your point about some fans taking the rivalry too far, but as I said further up, I'd much prefer to see us play 4 games v Falkirk than Cove or Hamilton, so We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

• Like 2