EPL Safe Standing

GG Riva

Safe standing appears to be gaining momentum at EPL grounds. It`s getting to a point where any club which doesn`t install a safe standing section is going to be in the minority and will come under pressure from those fans who want to stand at games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66061736

Am I right in thinking that Celtic is the only club which has a safe standing section in the SPFL?

It's written into our fans chapter (terminology?) I think regarding a longer term commitment to a safe standing area. From what I remember though, the steps in the NW are not suitable, regarding meeting a required standard. So, huge cost from a an engineering perspective.

Most of the north west is standing nowadays anyway!  Club played a blinder in moving that section to the end.  Most the folk there stand, no hassle, no cost.  Changing the rake in the stand to put to terracing would cost a fortune, simply not needed.

I hate the expression “safe standing” anyways, lot of nonsense.  As with any stadia and crowd, standing/seating, it’s about how you manage it. 

• Upvote 3

This was all down to the Taylor report after the Hillsborough disaster which blamed the police miss-handling.. The report did say that standing was not unsafe but the Government overruled it and said no standing allowed .. the consequence was that clubs like us had to adhere to this nonsense and convert into all seating which put many clubs into serious financial problems 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, buspasspar said:

the consequence was that clubs like us had to adhere to this nonsense and convert into all seating which put many clubs into serious financial problems 

And just to add to that, Scottish football wasn't legally obliged to comply as clubs were in England and Wales. Scottish Football chose to make it a rule even though it wasn't necessary to do so. As usual, we copy the bad things from England and ignore the good.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

And just to add to that, Scottish football wasn't legally obliged to comply as clubs were in England and Wales. Scottish Football chose to make it a rule even though it wasn't necessary to do so. As usual, we copy the bad things from England and ignore the good.

Never knew that SP  .. found this :-

https://www.fercoseating.com/news/sports/history-safe-standing-football

• Upvote 1